Status
Not open for further replies.

himtuna

Journeyman
I have installed
J2SE runtime Environment 5.0 udate 4 from August Autopachter.
I don't know anything of Java but I checked October's EFY it had a calender.
I want to know if I need to install J2SE(TM) Development Kit 5.0 Update 5
or above installed component is same.
EFY instructs to install Bluej 2.0.1 also that I have downloaded but JDK is about 60 MB.
I just want to try out java.

OP
himtuna

himtuna

Journeyman
Nobody answered
but i got the answer after searching the java site carefully.
JDK 5.0 or J2SE is a part of J2SE(TM) Development Kit 5.0 Update 5. It a superset of J2SE runtime Environment 5.0 udate 4 as it contains debugging, compiling & editing the java prog.

OP
himtuna

himtuna

Journeyman
I have installed j2se update 5.0 with netbeans 4.1

By defualt the path execution path for python was there.
so I created a new exe. path for java
And typed variable name as PATH
and variable value as c:\jdk\bin; "but forgot to type the other windows stuff"
exe. path for python is ovewritten and new path value "c:\jdk\bin;"was there
In dos prompt I typed "java -version" to check the path
It gave me java: commond not found Bad command or file name.....

Please give me the that other stuff that I must write to setup the exe. path
or restoring the computer will solve the problem

choudang

Padawan
did you create the environment variable for java? specify the path in the au*.bat file. path=%path%;new path. do you able to execute the command in c:\jdk\bin?

OP
himtuna

himtuna

Journeyman
warrior said:
did you create the environment variable for java? specify the path in the au*.bat file. path=%path%;new path. do you able to execute the command in c:\jdk\bin?

This info is too technical for me to understand.
what is "au*.bat file" ?

I have restored the computer and solved the problem but
what about python????
and one more problem
can't install library sources
In shell command I created src (dir) in jdk 5.0(dir) and executed the following jar xvf ..\src.zip and even tried jar xvf jdk 5.0\src.zip
and got the message 'jar' is not blaa blaa blaa .
How to install the library?
I am new to java and refering to core java2 (7th-edition) to learn it. ofcourse it is a difficult language to learn on your own but still I'll prefer to built some basic concepts of java by own, book and online resources.
I will do a course to learn java when I have time (probably during summer holidays.)May I know how you learned java and Hoe must I procede to master it ?
Is c# a better option?

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
what he mentioned is the autoexec.bat file on your root drive. (probably C:\ drive)

Well i wonder what are you trying to do with a zip file ? The jar comand is meant for compressing/extracting java jar archives. not zip files.(correct me if i'm wrong).

choudang

Padawan
1/ au*.bat= AUTOEXEC.BAT ---- if you are using win98.... youshould provide the path for java. you have to create the environment variable in 2000 for path -- in simple words. i guess that yo are aware from variables.

2/ --- i know that python is belongs to snake family --- sorry just kidding ... no idea as im newbie for pearl/python.

3/ C >> C++ >> JAVA >> C# ===== this the family chain as i think .. [C++ reqs C knowldge; Java req C++ kn'de; C# req Java knl'ge]

4/ i have learned java by myself -- actually we have the java in our prosp in BSc. it was introduction to java upto Applet. i have learned abit more when i joined GNIIT only for Java [adv java] and .NET with SQL 2000. after that i bought a book WEBER using JAVA 2 platform and have some practice. this is a very nice book for introducers. the most inter'ting parts in java [and i liked most] is Threading and Socket Programing.... i have created one simple chatting program for a single Network. i don't like RMI stuffs.

5. be a master of JAVA, you have to start from Core. you should have a know'ge of C.

OP
himtuna

himtuna

Journeyman
Thanks for your reply
At school I am learning c++.Will it be good to have the taste of c also to master java.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom