iTunes 7.0.2 released with fixes in 7.0.1, says Apple

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
Source: Yahoo News

Apple Computer Inc. on Tuesday updated its iTunes music player and store software to version 7.0.2 in an attempt to answer users' complaints about its predecessor, which some have said stutters during audio or video playback.

The iTunes update for both Mac OS X and Windows was touted by Apple as adding support for the soon-to-be-released second-generation iPod shuffle, and to "address a variety of stability and performance issues found in iTunes 7 and 7.0.1." Other than that, Apple didn't specify what problems the update fixed.

Users on Apple's own discussion forums, however, reported that although some earlier issues with iTunes 7.0.1 had been corrected, others -- including playback stuttering -- remained.

"Still no fix for video playback stuttering in this version," one user identified as "Piscator" wrote. "Wasted Youth" wrote: "It's now manifesting itself on my system as stuttering after the first couple of seconds of almost every song, continuing for a couple of seconds. After that it's OK."

Till now the issues in the previous version is not yet given by Apple. Thinkdigit users using iTunes are welcome to discuss flaws in iTunes 7.0.1 version.

busyanuj

In the zone
iTunes has always remained buggy and troublesome on windows xp. i'd prefer to use wmp or winAmp anytime. more so because iTunes binds each iPod to specific PC, limiting iPod connectivity to other PCs.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
i actually like itunes for my ipod .... n if u un-sync ur pods then its not pc specific

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
busyanuj said:
care to elucidate?
with pleasure

in itunes there is an option which lets itunes manage the entire music library and ur ipods library this is the sync option

in itunes 7 when u connect ur pod and click on the name of ur pod u get a page showing ur pod's details and below there will be 4 checkbox options ...

theres 1 for sync
another is for u managing ur music
another is for enabling disk use .....

unchk sync and chk i will manage my music .... this takes care of everything for my pod and my frenz pod atleast ... a fren of mine didnt un-sync his pod hence i was unable to connect his pod to my pc

im sorry i am not able to post a screen shot which wud hav made it very easy ... but i will do it by evening

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
Yeah, iTunes isn't the best music player out there for Windows. Foobar is much better(I dunnoe the recent scene).

For OS X, it's the best, as it uses very less system resources.

OP
Kiran.dks

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
I tried iTunes 7.0.1. I felt that it consumes much resources. It takes around 8 seconds to start, where as WMP takes just 3 seconds to load! One more issue i noticed is it uses considerable amount of RAM while running songs. For most of us who run music at background, this is a major flaw. We see that WMP, winamp and Mediamonkey consumes too little RAM.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
i think its a mistake by us that we actually consider itunes for music playback .... the search in itunes is really awesome and also the batch edit of tags is good and helpful ..... i dont think it was actually developed to be a music player ....

OP
Kiran.dks

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
mAV3 said:
i think its a mistake by us that we actually consider itunes for music playback .... the search in itunes is really awesome and also the batch edit of tags is good and helpful ..... i dont think it was actually developed to be a music player ....

If that is the case then what is the main intention or use of iTunes? Just to manage iD3 tags and syncronise with ipod? Do you think one would develop a software with that intention? Even if it is assumed so, there are all many options like playlists, Smart playlists, Volume leveller, Sound enhancer which are related for music playback. How do you justify that? I am sure that it is made for music playback.

busyanuj

In the zone
mAV3 said:
with pleasure

in itunes there is an option which lets itunes manage the entire music library and ur ipods library this is the sync option

in itunes 7 when u connect ur pod and click on the name of ur pod u get a page showing ur pod's details and below there will be 4 checkbox options ...

theres 1 for sync
another is for u managing ur music
another is for enabling disk use .....

unchk sync and chk i will manage my music .... this takes care of everything for my pod and my frenz pod atleast ... a fren of mine didnt un-sync his pod hence i was unable to connect his pod to my pc

im sorry i am not able to post a screen shot which wud hav made it very easy ... but i will do it by evening
okay, post the screenshot.

sure, i'll give it a try then. i've been using the utility ephPod meanwhile to dump songs into my pod and a winAmp plugin to put videos into it.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
kiran.rkk said:
If that is the case then what is the main intention or use of iTunes? Just to manage iD3 tags and syncronise with ipod? Do you think one would develop a software with that intention? Even if it is assumed so, there are all many options like playlists, Smart playlists, Volume leveller, Sound enhancer which are related for music playback. How do you justify that? I am sure that it is made for music playback.
it was actually developed to transfer songs to ur ipod, playlists and smart playlists (u cannot make playlists on ur ipod withput pc connectivity other than on the run which is just 1 playlist) and sound leveller were also made for the ipod not for playback on ur pc .... hving said that as it was handling music and libraries it doesnt take much for developers of apple's calibre to add a playback feature and as newer versions are developed playback features wil also be enhanced as i said it was not developed for playback

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
LOL! Where did you hear all that crap?
iTunes was released on January 9, 2001 and the iPod was launched in October 23, 2001. So, you basically mean that Apple launched an application essentially for managing and syncing music too and from an iPod more than nine months before the device was actually released? At that time, the company had not even thought about the iPod. The iPod was conceptualised in February, 2001. iTunes' primary purpose was, and remains to this day, to play music. Honestly, mAV3, I can't even believe you posted such ridiculous statements.

kiran.rkk said:
I tried iTunes 7.0.1. I felt that it consumes much resources. It takes around 8 seconds to start, where as WMP takes just 3 seconds to load!
If it indeed takes eight seconds to start, it definitely is a problem with your PC, not with the poor software. I never heard of it taking as much as eight seconds to load - not on my PC (or Mac) and not on anyone else's either.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
kiran.rkk said:
Users on Apple's own discussion forums, however, reported that although some earlier issues with iTunes 7.0.1 had been corrected, others -- including playback stuttering -- remained.

"Still no fix for video playback stuttering in this version," one user identified as "Piscator" wrote. "Wasted Youth" wrote: "It's now manifesting itself on my system as stuttering after the first couple of seconds of almost every song, continuing for a couple of seconds. After that it's OK."
I dunno what they are talking about but I have iTunes v7.0.1 and it has never caused any problems to me. I am going to update it today.

OP
Kiran.dks

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
aryayush said:
If it indeed takes eight seconds to start, it definitely is a problem with your PC, not with the poor software. I never heard of it taking as much as eight seconds to load - not on my PC (or Mac) and not on anyone else's either.

Well, if it is my PC problem, it should also reflect on other applications. All other applications have no problems in start-up time. However since you are sure about it, I would like know what start-up time do other iTunes users here are getting. Please let me know.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
aryayush said:
LOL! Where did you hear all that crap?
iTunes was released on January 9, 2001 and the iPod was launched in October 23, 2001. So, you basically mean that Apple launched an application essentially for managing and syncing music too and from an iPod more than nine months before the device was actually released? At that time, the company had not even thought about the iPod. The iPod was conceptualised in February, 2001. iTunes' primary purpose was, and remains to this day, to play music. Honestly, mAV3, I can't even believe you posted such ridiculous statements.
itunes was first developed as a media player for mac then wen ipod came apple used it for windows based ipods also
iTunes
Before the iPod, was the release of the iTunes software - just for Mac - which came out in January 2001. It was as it is today - a music jukebox, and a way of managing your music on your computer, but iPod functionality was yet to be built in. More Info
... make sure wat u call crap double chk things first b4 calling something crap .... playlists and smart playlists are essentially for ipods ... u shud be knowing that if ur using a ipod ... wrt to windows ....

here's how the thread has shaped ....

from the strat itself it has been clear tht itunes is problematic on windows and not so on mac .... itunes was released for windows platform for the windows based ipods .... and not as a standalone media player for windows ..... its main purpose on a mac is the same as wmp .... play media .... but on a windows platform is for ipod connectivity hence i said its our mistake (as in windows users) to consider itunes as a media player and it was withpout doubt released for windows or managing and syncing music too and from an iPod

Last edited:

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
mAV3 said:
itunes was first developed as a media player for mac then wen ipod came apple used it for windows based ipods also
Yes, that is true. But Apple did not strip the application off any of it's features for the Windows version. It has exactly the same functionality on both Macintosh and Windows. So, if you are agreeing with me that it is a full fledged media player for the Macintosh, then why is it not so for Windows? And who gave you the idea that playlists are meant to be used in association with the iPod only? Playlists are used by most music listeners on a regular basis for categorising various genres of music according to their mood/taste, irrespective of whether they own an MP3 player or not.

mAV3 said:
from the strat itself it has been clear tht itunes is problematic on windows and not so on mac
First of all, it has caused no problems on either platform for me. And similar problems have been reported on both the platforms by Macintosh and Windows users alike. Why don't you understand! Apple is not like Microsoft. iTunes on Windows is the exact clone of iTunes on a Macintosh, unlike Windows Media Player for Windows and Macintosh.

mAV3 said:
itunes was released for windows platform for the windows based ipods .... and not as a standalone media player for windows ..... its main purpose on a mac is the same as wmp .... play media .... but on a windows platform is for ipod connectivity hence i said its our mistake (as in windows users) to consider itunes as a media player and it was withpout doubt released for windows or managing and syncing music too and from an iPod
Yes, it was but had the company not intended that the software be a full-fledged audio player, they would have stripped off the music playing features. They didn't, because iTunes is a media player in every sense of the word. And it is pretty competent when it comes to playing audio, beats the crap out of Windows Media Player if you consider only the music part. And there are many people who use iTunes instead of Windows Media Player as their primary audio playback software.

And BTW, there is no such thing as a 'windows based ipod'. All iPods are the same and the same iPod can be used with either Windows or a Macintosh.

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
Mac users, who don't like iTunes for any reason, can use Cog.

It is a nice, no-frills audio player.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom