Issues related to L.A.N.

Status
Not open for further replies.

go4saket

Hi Guys!

I am absolutely new in the line of networking and am facing hell lot of problems with it. As its happening with me, so must be happening with every one new in this field. So thought of starting a generallised thread on problems related to LAN where in we can discuss more about LAN and tricks to solve problems.

As for my problem, I connected 5 PC's to each other using a Switch and connected my ADSL modem to my 1st PC (Host) so as to share Internet amongst all. The outline of the network is as follows...

*img252.imageshack.us/img252/1695/outlayxl0.jpg

After all settings, I was successful in accessing shared files of all computers but unable to access Internet in any computer except the Host. I had set everything so as to share Internet but still didnt work. Lastly I discovered that the culprit was the firewall (Zone Alarm) that I was using. I had set "Internet Zone Security" to High because of which I wasnt able to access net in other PC's. Changing it to Medium solved my problem. Just wanted to know if it is safe to keep it in Medium and is there any other way to access net even when its kept at High.

Another problem I am facing is that since the time I have done all these settings for LAN, even if I disconnect my Broadband connection, it automatically get connected again in a few minutes. Why is this happening and how can I stop this from happening.

Thank you.

[xubz]

"The Cake is a Lie!!"
Well, If your ADSL Router supports LAN Port, Club the Modem and the Switch together.

It will automatically be shared.

OP
go4saket

go4saket

It does have a LAN port which I used to connect it to my host computer. The hardware engg. here told me that its not possible to share the internet connection with other PC's if I connect the router with the Switch. As such, now I am able to access Internet in all PC's but the ZA setting and the automatic reconnection is a problem. Any solutions for them?

[xubz]

"The Cake is a Lie!!"
Um? You _can_ directly connect it to the Switch!

Try this,
1. Let the Router/Modem's Address be 192.168.1.1
2. Connect the Router to your Switch (preferably Port 1)
3. Connect the Rest of the PCs.

Since the Router acts as a gateway, Configure all the PC's IP Address as.

IP-Address: 192.168.1.10
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Set the DNS to what your ISP has provided.

Do ^that on Every PC (including the DNS), Just change the IP Address (i.e. x.x.x.20, x.x.x.30, etc.)

mediator

Technomancer
Just treat the switch as another system! and follow
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46771&highlight=sharing
All u need to do is to enable 'internet sharing' and fill appropriate IPs!

OP
go4saket

go4saket

Kya karen boss, adat se majboor... :)

O guys, now I will post some more problems that I am facing.

1. As I have already installed a Firewall, Anti Virus & Anti Spyware softwares in my Server, do I need to the same in all other PC's connected to the network or is the server going to serve the purpose.
  2. Is there a way by which I can share my files and folders on the network with password enabled. What I mean to say is like if someone wants to access my servers file in any other computer, he/she will have to enter the password that will be set for the same. Without the password, the files shouldnt be displayed atall.
  3. Is there a way by which I can run the softwares installed in my server or in any other computer in the network from any other computer in the network without again installing them. This will be kind of sharing software in the network, obviously if its not illegal.
  4. How can I send a messege to any other user in the network?
  5. As I connected my friends Laptop in my network, now even after disconnecting him, all my shared drives are being displayed in his Laptop, although the contents are not displayed. How can I remove them from his Laptop.
Well, I guess this much is enough for the time being. Hope to get them all resolved.

Last edited:

vish786

"The Gentleman"
just tell me whether switch exactly behave/works like hub... ? then i have done already what ur trying to do... mebbe i can provide sum help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom