Is this power suppy good enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
I have a VIP 400W PSU that shows the following numbers on the side. Will it be able to support a mid range video card properly? Look at config in siggy.

+3.3V 28A
+5V 30A
+12V 20A

My monitor takes power from the PSU. Does this power come from the total 400W that the PSU can provide or is the 400W power of the PSU independent of the power supplied to the monitor?

Last edited:

mohit

The Hardware Labs
firstly dont ever ever ever connect ur monitor to ur psu ... connect it directly to the mains or the ups .. and since u have a single 12v rail will 20A i think u can only use cards like 6600gt and below it .. 20a is too less and its vip.

mayanksharma

Ambassador of Buzz
Better,not to connect your monitor directly through your psu.Instead,use a good quality psu.
As far as your PSU specs are concerned,it is quite good and supports all midrange cards like Geforce 6 series and Ati X300 and X600.

OP
D

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
How can you say that I shouldn't connect my monitor to my PSU? The monitors power cable is such that it only takes power from a PSU and not from an external source.

cyrux

In the zone
Dude there is another power cable for the monitor too, just as for the CPU which takes power externally...

janitha

Wise Old Owl
As already said, better connect the monitor to UPS or wall socket even though the socket in the PSU does not supply power through its circuit.

But reg the SMPS, the cheap ones generally do not supply the power that they claim to. For eg if the 12V rail claims to be 20 Amperes, it is not likely to supply anything near that. And the 12V rail is very important. Quality of an SMPS is said to be better if it is heavy.

KHUBBU

Journeyman
Hey Mohit & Janitha, I have this info of my system, from Everest Home Edition, kindly analyse it,is it ok ?. I know nothing about this single rail 12V & stuff:

Voltage Values:
CPU Core 1.57 V
CPU Aux 2.21 V
+3.3 V 3.30 V
+5 V 4.95 V
+12 V 11.73 V
-12 V 1.21 V
-5 V 2.24 V
+5 V Standby 4.99 V
VBAT Battery 0.51 V
Debug Info V 62 8A CE B8 C1 C4 C6 2B (01)
Debug Info T 43 71 17

janitha

Wise Old Owl
KHUBBU said:
Hey Mohit & Janitha, I have this info of my system, from Everest Home Edition, kindly analyse it,is it ok ?. I know nothing about this single rail 12V & stuff:

Voltage Values:
CPU Core 1.57 V
CPU Aux 2.21 V
+3.3 V 3.30 V
+5 V 4.95 V
+12 V 11.73 V
-12 V 1.21 V
-5 V 2.24 V
+5 V Standby 4.99 V
VBAT Battery 0.51 V
Debug Info V 62 8A CE B8 C1 C4 C6 2B (01)
Debug Info T 43 71 17

Reg the voltages from the PSU, anything within 5% (tolerance) is alright. For eg. your 12V can be anywhere between 11.4V to 12.6V and it will be safe. Even 10% is said to be alright but I am not very sure about it.

Reg the CPU core voltage nothing can be said without knowing which processor you are using.

KHUBBU

Journeyman
Thanks Janitha, I have a P4 2.8 GHz HT socket 478 Northwood.

What is this core and Aux?

& what does thi "-12 V" signify.

I have Colorsit 450 W Psu.

janitha

Wise Old Owl
drvarunmehta said:
I have a VIP 400W PSU that shows the following numbers on the side. Will it be able to support a mid range video card properly? Look at config in siggy.

+3.3V 28A
+5V 30A
+12V 20A

My monitor takes power from the PSU. Does this power come from the total 400W that the PSU can provide or is the 400W power of the PSU independent of the power supplied to the monitor?

As far as I know, the socket in the PSU is a bypass socket, ie. it supplies the very same power which is fed to it. Since the monitor requires regular 230V AC, there is no question of using the DC power like 12V, 5V, 3.3V etc. which comes out of the PSU circuit.

BTW I feel you better upgrade to a better PSU, especially with better Amperes in the 12V rail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom