Is this a good laptop config?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
hello ppl!
im going 2 new york 4 my undergrad studies and i'll b buying a laptop soon. i've selected the Dell Inspiron 9100 as of now. the following is the config:
P4 2.8GHz with HT
15.4" WUXGA screen
1GB dual channel DDR400
128MB ATi Mobility Radeon 9700
60GB 7200rpm HDD
Dell Wi-fi card (802.11b/g)
24x CD-RW/DVD Combo
Win XP Home with Microsoft Plus! Digital Media Edition

I will use it 2 play games (high end), 2 surf the net and 2 complete college assignments.
how is this config? i hav the option of a 256MB Mobility Radeon 9800 card and faster processors. i could also get a DVD burner. does it make sense 2 go 4 a DVD burner?? all these options will increase the cost of the system. or can u suggest some other laptops? i hav noticed that only Dell gives dual channel DDR400 memory. and the radeon 9800 is currently available only with the Inspiron.

Deep

Version 2.0
Nemesis said:
hello ppl!
i've selected the Dell Inspiron 9100 as of now.

awesome..but it will cost you somewhere around 2000$ right..

i have selected this config which comes around 1600$ after 15% disc...

Intel® Pentium® 4 w/ HT Technology 2.8GHz, 15.4-in. WSXGA+
Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional
FREE Dell 720 Color Printer with 1 Yr Advanced Exchange Service
1 Year Limited Warranty plus 1 Year Mail-In Service (FREE)
512MB DDR 400MHz 2 DIMMs
128MB DDR ATI's MOBILITYâ„¢ RADEONâ„¢ 9700 AGP 8X Graphics
24X CD-RW/DVD Combo Drive with Sonic RecordNow
60GB Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
96 WHr 12-cell Primary Battery with Subwoofer
6 Months of America Online Membership Included
Free! Dell® Wireless 1350 Internal Wireless (802.11b/g, 54Mbps)

what say ?

btw i checked few other laptops but found dell cheaper and GOOD :) go for Dell only..
Deep

OP
N

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
well first of all thanx 4 ur reply! im gonna change 2 a sxga+ screen coz i found that with the uxga screen, the fonts r very small and text is difficult 2 read. and i was thinking, wont 512 b a little less? or can i upgrade without ne problems using the SO-DIMMs? with the 9100, the only issue is it's weight-nearly 5kg with the charger and battery life aint that good.

Deep

Version 2.0
actually i know the bettery life is less and all
but you wont get this great config in any laptop

and about 512ddr i think its enough
1 GB will be around $200 extra

i think dell 9100 is the best machine around..
dont go for sony..

IBM thinkpad can be another option..

Deep

OP
N

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
i was thinking of 1gb coz i want this laptop 2 last me at least 3-4 years. ive seen laptops frm sony, ibm, acer, toshiba, fujitsu and hp/compaq. in terms of config, dell 9100 is the best u can get and at an unbeatable price. what abt the radeon 9800? would it b too much? and i think i will invest in a 132Whr battery instead of xp pro

Deep

Version 2.0
Nemesis said:
i was thinking of 1gb coz i want this laptop 2 last me at least 3-4 years. ive seen laptops frm sony, ibm, acer, toshiba, fujitsu and hp/compaq. in terms of config, dell 9100 is the best u can get and at an unbeatable price. what abt the radeon 9800? would it b too much? and i think i will invest in a 132Whr battery instead of xp pro

i will suggest instead of 1GB RAM and 256 MB Graphics card

XP Pro and Battery are the better options..

and after 1 yr ur somehting if u feel that machine is slow u need more RAM then u can always upgrade it and at that time it will cheaper than current price also...

this is just suggestion..ints on u to decide..

Regards
Deep

OP
N

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
thanx a lot man! now just 1 last question, have u had any experince at all with SO-DIMM sockets on laptops? i know they r smaller and possibly run slower too.

Deep

Version 2.0
Nemesis said:
thanx a lot man! now just 1 last question, have u had any experince at all with SO-DIMM sockets on laptops? i know they r smaller and possibly run slower too.

nopes man no idea about it.. :(

Deep

adithyagenius

I WANT MORE FPS!!
But they are very well tested and properly customised and cofigured. They also got an award for customer support. It's worth extra bugs.

theraven

Technomancer
nuthin is worth extra "BUGS"
and it would be worth the extra "BUCKS" if u had no shortage of cash
do get a decent config according to alienware .. ull need to spend like 1.5-2 lac min which is definitely not "worth it"
rather get a desktop for all that gaming power. !

Saud Hakim

Right off the assembly line
ALIENWARE Laptops = Only for millionaires & Kids who have big heareted Dad's ;) lol.

The laptop youre planning on buying seems almost perfect for your need's :). Id say GO for the 256mb card if u plan to play the latest/upcoming games at break neck refresh rates.

Saud

OP
N

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
u know what, compare alienware and dell with similar configs-there is a difference of almost $600. surely i wont spend that much just bcoz it's an alienware lappy. btw, can some1 pls tell me something abt the SO-DIMM slots that we get on laptops? if we add memory using these slots, does it make ne difference at all as compared 2 adding new modules in the regular sockets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom