is this a good configuration for Rs.50,000/-?

Status
Not open for further replies.

knaadhan

Broken In
hi guys

i am going to purchase a mega computer with Rs.50,000/- as my budget..this is my configuration

Intel Pentium D 800 series processor
Intel 945GNTL motherboard (2 PCIexpress slots, 4 PCI slots, 8 USB ports..)
250GB SATA Hard disk (Seagate)
LiteOn DVD writer (with lightscribe)
2GB DDR2 RAM
Regular ATX cabinet with 400W SMPS
17" LCD monitor from LG
Logitech Keyboard and optical mouse and the regular modem, ethernet card etc...

is this is a good configuration? will i face any heating problems from the Pentium D processor...will i need a higher power rating in case i add a 256MB nvidia graphics card??? Please advice me guys..

G

gxsaurav

The pentium D 8xx series heats a lot, get a Pentium D 930 with 945GNTL or better yet get a Athlon64 3800+ X2 with Asus A8N-E motherboard

rest is fine, make sure, the 250GB Harddisk is SATA2

Don't buy lite-on DVD writer with lightscribe, it's a feature for which u will hardly find any lightscribe media

digiFriend

In the zone
if you are not going to use dual graphic card, don't go for SLI motherboard.
in due time, AMD AM2 socket motherboard for DDR2 ram and intel cornoe processor are comming to market. if you can wait, it would be much better.

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
Pentium SLi's are totally bogus .... the performance increase is only around 30-40% .....

Wait for AM2 skt. to be lauched ... then get it with a X2 4000+ .. u'll not regret it ...

zuala77

Broken In
hi

If u are spending 50000......than i would suggest u....dont go for pentium d or anything....go for Amd 64x2 4200+ @23500..and K8Ne04 Platt mobo....@8500+ 2x512 Kingston Hyperx @6500 sata 2 HD @ 3900 and 400 watt Psu....presently..i am using this config...with a 17" lcd and O/c to 2.7 with stock air....i have done some case Modding........also nec dvd Dual layer and the rest is up to u like keyboard etc

magnet

Youngling
would suggest go for low nd stuffs presently.......or wait till june end...amd and intel coming with new series of stuff........your present stuff prices will come down...or the new series will offer u better

also whts the config purpose is important do mention that...

for strict gaming...amd rules.......for multitask intel does

OP
K

knaadhan

Broken In
thanx 4 the reply guys...that was really helpful....unfortunately when i enquired with the dealer about the Pentium D 9xx series...he told me that it is not currently in stock in chennai due to demand...since i need one urgently i have decided to settle for the 8xx series...he promised me a very well ventilated cabinet with lot of fans..will that do??? can i upgrade to the D 9xx series at a later date?? I do know that the AMD processor suggested by u guys is excellent but as of now it doesnt have any resale value because of people's wrong notions....i plan to sell it within 2 years as i will b movin 2 USA

about the SATA2... i think SATA is suffice for me since AGENT 001 told us that there is not much of a difference between the two...the only advantage being that SATA2 hard disks can be plugged in the motherboard when the computer is still on and b recognised as a mass storage device...but seriously anyone willing to try it???

Oh yeah!! i am very sorry guys...i forgot to mention that i will be using the computer for heavy bioinformatics oriented applications ( i am a biotechnologist), Adobe Photoshop CS2, and occasional gaming (i am a gamer freak and i own a Playstation 2...will buy the PS3 as soon as it is released) and then and extensive movie watching....for which they said liteOn is the best...digit rated it so...

But u guys totally rock man! I never expected so many replies! Thanx 4 the support...please give me more suggestions for peripherals...

I have heard that there is an external casing available in the market for laptop Hard disk drives so that they can be used as an external hard disk...any ideas??

william

Journeyman
i think think this is a good configuration for Rs 50,000 but you can try for AMD processor also.

manmay

Journeyman
sata 2 has a higher data transfer speed resulting to a better performance and more over theres not much diff in price bet the 2. why arent u going for a gfx card ...atleast a entry level 6200 or mid range 6600...will really show their worth in adobe photo shop and most of all in gaming. u can cut down on budget by opting for a 17 inch flat or non flat crt...instead of a lcd.... it could save u a good 5-6 k ... if theres a space constraint then its ok...other wise its a good config.

magnet

Youngling
yup casing r there...even for normal disc...but ppl get laptop one....since laptop disc r small in size and also weight less.....

they available frm 600 bucks...but best one comes for 2k

OP
K

knaadhan

Broken In
gxsaurav said:
The pentium D 8xx series heats a lot, get a Pentium D 930 with 945GNTL or better yet get a Athlon64 3800+ X2 with Asus A8N-E motherboard

rest is fine, make sure, the 250GB Harddisk is SATA2

Don't buy lite-on DVD writer with lightscribe, it's a feature for which u will hardly find any lightscribe media

Thanx gxsaurav! If it werent for u i would have ended up buying a Pentium D 8xx series...but thankfully i finally got my hands on the Pentium D 930 processor which has better cooling like u said......as for SATA2...i am not able to get it here in my city(Trichy-Tamil Nadu)...so i decided to use this hard disk for now and buy a higher capacity SATA2 hard disk in the future when the prices will definitely fall down...(i hope!!!!)

Last edited:

magnet

Youngling
knadhan...please mention the prices of stuffs u bought.........so that we can note it down for reference

OP
K

knaadhan

Broken In
hey guys..i will gladly give you the prices but please remember that my config crossed the budget and touched Rs.55,000/-...anyway here they are and please keep in mind that they are approximate only...

Pentium D 930 - Rs.14,500/-
Intel 945GNTL desktop board - Rs.6600/-
SATA 250 GB (seagate) - Rs.6200/-
1GB RAM (Transcend DDR2) - Rs.4400/-
The rest of the stuff like speakers and keyboards are standard prices i think...
LiteOn is not available right now...so i opted out and will use an external DVD writer that i already have...

OP
K

knaadhan

Broken In
finally got my dream machine for a neat Rs.56,000/-.....got all the latest hardware possible... tested with games such as doom 3 and all...blazing speeds! no problem at all...will buy a graphics card soon...XFX i think...any suggestions?
Pentiym D 930 rocks!!! i will recommend this processor to anyone....please guys do remember that if u r buying this processor...250GB hard disk is required and 2 GB RAM is required to make full use of it....thanx 4 the support...can anyone suggest some standard tests so that i can post it here for the benefit of the community?

magnet

Youngling
knaandhan congo but where do u stay??????(edit found tn now)in mumbai we get 250gb disk for 4.65k.............sata 2........also heard 300gb ones are ard 6k here..........

didnt wanted to frustrated u....but check the price before buying and future stuff here...my b it will help u save some moolah

also for dvd writer go 4 benq or sony...search ppl reviews here on this site

*www.deltapage.com/

abracadabra

Journeyman
mann 2Gb ram 4 what u havent mentioned any graphics card at all it is advised u stic with 2 x 512Mb sticks. As for intel stay out of it if u wuldnt like to invite trouble, AMD is a better option out there. a gud choice of motherboard for AMD wuld b ASUS A8N32 SLI Deluxe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom