IS the upgrade advantageous

Status
Not open for further replies.

thetopcyborg

Journeyman
Hey all u guys out there,
i just wanted to ask that wud it prove really advantageous fer me
to upgrade to an AMD Athlon64 3000+ (Socket 939) from a P4 1.7 Ghz??

Cause the AMD has a clock speed of 1.8 Ghz and im really in a fix...

pls son't suggest other processors as im really low on budget....

and can u tell me y is it that AMD outperforms Intel processors even though they have really lower(comparativ to Intel) clock speeds....

And also, I have read that Intel is good for multitasking and video-editning stuff
whereas AMD is better for single applications, particularly gaming......

I want to play heavy games with music and also do some editing in Flash and in the future, in 3Ds Max..........

so please tell me if i shud go for an intel or AMD...

fast pls

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Tho the clock speed is lower, the performance of 3000+ is equal to that of intel 3.0 ghz, so its Damn definitely worth upgrading :)

But if you work lots on image manipulation/graphics, an intel is better, for gaming amd is best...

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
Of course it is advantageous.....See 'clock speed' is not everything .3000+ (Venice) can outperform the intel P4 3 GhZ...and + the Venice Core can be oc'ed to limits....3000+ can be easily o'c to 24-27 GhZ....with a good mobo and good memory.......

abhijit_reddevil

Manchester United
MegaD3th3K said:
d00d, u sure ???

Yeah, ask people like John_the_ultimate (2.7Ghz), kniwor (2.8Ghz) and they will tell you the procedure of o/c'ing the 3000+ to > 2.5Ghz. I have also o/c'ed my 3000+ to 2.25Ghz. All of us have one thing in common, a good motherboard, namely an Asus A8N-E.:D

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
Definitely worth the upgrade but which mobo have u selected for ur rig. I would suggest ASUS A8N-E, since it is an excellent performer and worth each penny u spend on it.

@digitized
thanks.

cyrux

In the zone
Apart from gaming what are the other areas amd rules over intel . Like for a general Home user ??

abhijit_reddevil

Manchester United
cyrux said:
Apart from gaming what are the other areas amd rules over intel . Like for a general Home user ??

Just see this page, select the 3000+ venice and the 3.0Ghz Pentium-4, select the individual benchmarks and you will get your answer.

*www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
Did u ever notice the diff. in cache ??? the athlon has a much higher L1 cache ... around 128 KB .. compare it to the 24 KB cache of the pentiums ....

Also ... the athlon's have sorter pipelines which is more efficient at processing data when data needs to loaded / unloaded quickly ... pentium have longer pipelines which means it'll be better in strained processes like rendering and image editiing .. where the data need to be stored a bit longer ...

Also the new athlon architecture misses the northbridge ... so much of the mem. latency is covered up there .... and an on die mem. controller ensures even more efficient mem. bandwidth ....

Simply put .. the 3000+ is much better than ur current processor ... and in most cases it outperforms the 3.0 GHz counterpart .... this will definitely be a good upgrade ...

On the other hand ... i can ensure a 3.0 GHz processor to be oc'ed to 3.6 GHz without putting any load on the ram ... while oc'ing the athlon will definitely require some good ram .... and the 3.6 Ghz pentium should easily compete with the 3500+ ..

OP
thetopcyborg

thetopcyborg

Journeyman
First of all, thnx digitized fer the link, it helped me a lot in making me satisfied that my processor is good fer my budget =) ...
i didn't know intel was such a cheat(don't mind it) in giving higher clock speed in such high prices and still being beaten by a cheap processor...

And I am thinking of buying a MSI K8N Diamond as the availability if MSI boards is high in my area.....
Is the Diamond good for overclocking? If yes, I will have 512*2 DDR 400 Transcend RAM , till which speed can i overclock it???

Also, shud i go for the Nvidia chipset or the ATI chipset?? im really in a fix for this...
My vendor is telling that ATI is better and is like the bigdaddy and Nvidia is like the upcoming teenager....
Will it really matter if i go for an ATI or NVidia card (and chipsets)?????

Also, will it matter if i add a Nvidia card on a MB with an ATI chipset or vice versa?????

And will my system config be able to play upcoming UT2k7?

I will be having a 450W supply, is it OK if i will have an Athlon 3000+, 1 gig of RAM and a gud 256MB graphics card...

and when i buy a graphics card, can't i make my onboard graphics and the card go hand-in-hand????

Now fer the suggestions....
pls suggest me a good graphics card(256MB) within 4-5k...

can u suggest me a good MSI MB around 5-6k (any chipset) here's the link from where u may choose:

*www.msi.com.tw/program/products/ma...st.php?kind=1&CHIP=68&NAME=Socket 939 (AMD K8)....

i will get a 450W power supply, will it be enough for a MB, processor, DVD-RW, CD-RW, graphics card, LAN card

ALSO, WILL THE NEW SYSTEM BE VISTA-COMPATIBLE?

thnx in advance and please reply fast

Last edited:

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
Well a 450 watt SMPS is more than enough......but make sure it has a descent amperage rating across each output...i.e +3.3 V,+5V,+12 V .etc

Well i suggest go for ASUS A8N-E....its a dream to overclock with...

And its well priced at around 6.5 K

OP
thetopcyborg

thetopcyborg

Journeyman
but i am not sure if it wud be available here
byt MSI boards are easily available (btw, is MSI an Indian brand?)

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
@ Samrulez
Wow A8N-E can be available at price as low as 5500 even in Kerela. Im sure he could get it even lower prices.

MSI nf4 utlra board is ok and has more expansion slots(PCI,PCIE4x,PCI1xetc) but I think it doesn't come with that much overcloking utilities like AO NOS etc which ASUS has finely tuned for max OCing. The onboard sound of MSI seems to be better and board layout is fine too. If it can be found at lower price than 5.5k go for it.

OP
thetopcyborg

thetopcyborg

Journeyman
but a8n-E is not that upgradeable as it lacks SLI

and by what limits can MSI K8N Diamond be overclocked????

and what is AO NOS, etc?\

and is the audio of ASUS A8n-E better or of MSI K8N Diamond???? this is the official descreption of the MSI K8N Diamond:
*www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=638

Last edited:

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
ASUS A8N e is highly overclockable. Here is the info from ASUS site:
Overclocking Features

AI NOS™(Non-delay Overclocking System)
AI Overclocking (intelligent CPU frequency tuner)
ASUS PEG Link

Precision Tweaker:
- vDIMM: 9-step DRAM voltage control
- vCore: Adjustable CPU voltage at 0.0125 increment
- SFS (Stepless Frequency Selection): allowing FSB tuning from 200MHz up to 400MHz at 1MHz increment
- PCIe Frequency: allowing PCIe frequency from 100MHz up to 200MHz at 1MHz increment

Fixed PCIe/PCI/SATA frequencies.
ASUS C.P.R.(CPU Parameter Recall)

------------------------------------------
Precision Tweaker
Precision Tweaker is designed for serious overclockers. It offers ways to raise system performance inch-by-inch and step-by-step to achieve maximum performance! This is about getting the most out of your machine, and taking pride in your customized computer. Precision Tweaker provides overclocking options for all major parts of the system: CPU, Memory, PCI-Express, and Front Side Bus.

vDIMM
Take control of how much power is going into the memory modules. ASUS gives you 9-step voltage control to the DIMM

vCore
Find out "exactly" how much power your CPU needs. Fine-tune it with 0.0125 volts at a time!

PCI-Express Frequency
Explore the frequency options of your PCI-Express graphics card

SFS
SFS (Stepless Frequency Selection) allow FSB tuning from 200MHz up to 400MHz at 1MHz increments.
AI NOS™
Boost performance when you need it the most!
Applications such as 3D games and video editing demand a huge chunk of system resource.
Inject "nitrous oxide" into your CPU! The patented AI NOS™ (Non-delay Overclocking System) technology intelligently detects system load and automatically boosts performance for the most demanding tasks. Unlike other dynamic overclocking techniques, AI NOS™ reacts much faster to satisfy your unending need for speeds.

PEG Link
PEG (PCI-Express Graphics) Link lets you to raise GPU and VGA memory throughput via the motherboard BIOS the same way system bus and memory bus are tweaked. ASUS engineers carefully fine-tuned the parameters for PCI-Express cards to provide system stability during high-speed graphics operation. Furthermore, with two PCI-Express slots, the A8N-E is able to activate PEG Link on both graphics.

AI NET2
ASUS AI NET2 remotely detects cable connection the second you turn on the system, and any faulty connections are reported back up to 100 meters at 1 meter accuracy.
--------------------------------------------------------------

These are the xtra oc features that ASUS has to offer.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
QwertyManiac said:
Tho the clock speed is lower, the performance of 3000+ is equal to that of intel 3.0 ghz, so its Damn definitely worth upgrading :)

But if you work lots on image manipulation/graphics, an intel is better, for gaming amd is best...

i know the performance is better but whats the reason behind it 64-bit achitechure

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
By the by what is the exact price of dat MSI SLI board.
I think it has excellent audio features that any of the competitors even ASUS top SLI boards(A8N 32 SLI D). But there is nothin written about xtreme oc'ing on MSI site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom