Is the Linux Desktop Dead ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ketanbodas

Journeyman
This article, I came across. Is the Linux desktop dead ?
Linux is unlikely ever to be a viable alternative to Microsoft's Windows on the desktop for corporate IT departments, according to leading CIOs.
Just this week new research by the National Computing Centre (NCC) found only one Linux desktop for every 300 currently running Windows XP in UK organizations. Three-quarters of silicon.com's 12-strong CIO Jury backed the view that the Linux desktop dream is dead.
source - *news.zdnet.com/2100-9590_22-6134965.html?tag=nl.e550
Actually I am/was plng to try out linux. Which then is the simplest ?

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Let the 3D desktop enviroments mature a bit and KDE 4 come out. These people will have to eat their words. For more info on which linux to try out, check out a few threads on 'which linux should i use' in the open source section. You will get an idea.

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
Linux is already making inroads in the Server & Desktop market. More & more companies
around the world are moving to Linux. Even M$ is a bit worried about it's market share!!
Linux O.S is the most happening thing on the planet. Definitely the future belongs to Linux.

@Ketan, Try Mandriva 2007 Linux. Very simple & easy to use. You'll definitely
like it very much

Yamaraj

The Lord of Death
I highly disagree. So far, there is only one Enterprise level desktop Linux distribution available - Novell SLED. And that too is getting a lot of bad press because of the Microsoft-Novell affair. Linux is nowhere near Windows in both Home and Enterprise segment, and the scenario is not likely to change any time soon. As for the 3D desktops, these features(?) are not what Enterprises are looking for. 3D desktop has nothing to do with productivity at all.

I like UNIXen myself, and prefer them to Windows, but I don't see Microsoft Windows and Office suite losing their positions to Linux and OpenOffice.org. Also, most of the Linux users from the Home segment are dual-booting with Windows, or switching distributions every weekend. IMHO, a much better scenario would be both Windows and Linux learning to co-exist with each other, without the fanatic hatred and jealousy from either side. And this is precisely what Microsoft-Novell pact is about.

mehulved

Yamaraj said:
And this is precisely what Microsoft-Novell pact is about.
I'd never believe someone who has a history of joining hands with people and then just back stabbing them and climbing on their back. And I hope the Linux community stays well aware if MS tries anything of the sort. I'd never believe the devil how much it has the power of alluring.

Yamaraj

The Lord of Death
tech_your_future said:
I'd never believe someone who has a history of joining hands with people and then just back stabbing them and climbing on their back. And I hope the Linux community stays well aware if MS tries anything of the sort. I'd never believe the devil how much it has the power of alluring.
They call it 'business' and it happens everywhere. Microsoft is not wrong when they claim that Linuxen are using their patented technologies. If Linux communities can do without all patented technologies, and still manage to challenge Microsoft, Oracle etc on the Enterprise front, good for them. But, I have my doubts.

Few people know (or acknowledge) that Novell saved SUSE from bankruptcy, and created a viable Enterprise platform around it. And BTW, Novell was criticized to the same level by the same zealots who tuned themselves down after it contributed a LOT to OSS community. Deja Vu!

mehulved

But there's something called business ethics. It may have zero value for you and MS but there are people who care for it. So, there's no way I will say what MS did to IBM, Sun and all is called business.

Yamaraj

The Lord of Death
tech_your_future said:
But there's something called business ethics. It may have zero value for you and MS but there are people who care for it. So, there's no way I will say what MS did to IBM, Sun and all is called business.
I think we're deviating a little from the original topic, thus giving the moderators a chance to exercise their powers, which I've grown a disliking for in last few days.

As for the Linux on desktop, no it's not dead yet. But, that's because it's not that serious a desktop player at all. The only thing that can challange Windows on desktop in both home and Enterprise segment is - Apple OSX. It's really a solid system with a nice UI built on a UNIX core. Now, only if Apple decided to make it available to the whole x86 market.

kumarmohit

Technomancer
To get better for desktop linux should stop comparing itself Windows and (Like it or not) start aping the MacOS X. Because the user friendliness of Mac OS X is actually going to give Linux the boost to make it penetrate Windows castle. It will be extremly easy as they are both *nix.

Of course Linux is very user friendly now as compared to wat it was around the release of KDE 1.0 but people at large are still apprehensive. Give them the levels of Mac OSX and compare the reults.

eddie

El mooooo
Ah...man do I get flashes of past or what!!! I saw similar "conclusions" coming at the time of XP release and I see similar ones at the time of Vista release? Is it predictable or what? Last time also they all declared that Linux was dead...it was buried and it had decayed...yet all we see is Linux moving only one way and that is...up...up and up.

BTW for all Linux lovers...it is time we all expect such "conclusions and studies" guys. Remember Microsoft's TCO research after release of XP and before release of Win Server? Similar things will come this time as well :)

caleb

Ambassador of Buzz
I am a die hard Windows fan but yet I believe that the very fact that people are discussing about Linux so much is proof enough that it is NOT dead but it is infact thriving. I am actully going to try loading Ubuntu on my external USB HDD in another half hours time...just bcoz I heard so much of it in the past few years...more so this year...I am told by many in this forum that it is possible to load Ubuntu on my external usb hdd...so wish me luck.

Long live Windows & Long live Linux...that keeps both of'em in check & providing us with better software each passing year.

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
You want facts??

Here are the reasons more users will switch to Linux instead of Vista:

* Hardware upgrade
* M$ has taken stringent steps to solve piracy. So most users of Vista have to buy it!!
* Linux is free of viruses, spyware, & other annoying stuff.
* Linux runs very well in present hardware (the users have).
* Also Vista needs a very high-end PC with atleast 1 GB RAM + Intel Core 2 Duo for
a good performance. Don't forget you need a good GC as well!!

kumarmohit

Technomancer
I disagree on two points

~ Linux runs very well in present hardware (the users have)
~ Also Vista needs a very high-end PC with atleast 1 GB RAM + Intel Core 2 Duo for a good performance. Don't forget you need a good GC as well!!

To offer eye candy like beryl which is at par with Windows Vista ("better" for the linux fanboys) u will need HW upgrade and a gfx card.

And btw just like Linux Windows Vista can run just fine on present hardware ( I am not talking abt old HW present means atleast 512 MB RAM and 1.5GHZ processor with onboard gfx (Even linux cant provide Beryl or vista like eye candy on these HW though it will run just fine.)

caleb

Ambassador of Buzz
JGuru said:
You want facts??
?
? Here are the reasons more users will switch to Linux instead of Vista:
?
? * Hardware upgrade
? * M$ has taken stringent steps to solve piracy. So most users of Vista have to buy it!!
? * Linux is free of viruses, spyware, & other annoying stuff.
? * Linux runs very well in present hardware (the users have).
? * Also Vista needs a very high-end PC with atleast 1 GB RAM + Intel Core 2 Duo for
? a good performance. Don't forget you need a good GC as well!!
Although I do not believe that linux will b dead I don't think Vista will "loose to linux". In a month after Vista' release pirated copies will sell 4 Rs.100 at every major local railway stn in mumbai. So ur reasoning does not hold water that all who use pirated stuff will switch to linux. Also the only reason most ppl use pirated windows (apart from money constraints) is coz they know nothing about how to use any other OS. MS will never b able to solve piracy problem. People will upgrade just as they've...
...done when XP was released besides the prices of entery level & mid range gfx card r so cheap these days ppl will buy them especially when the dx10 entry & mid range cards r released in mid 2007. As per virus, the masses aren't so scared that they'll switch to other OS just bcoz of a virus they'll get pirated AV if they've got a pirated Vista.

Last edited:

mediator

Technomancer
^^ Yea users aren't afraid of virus! A student having his documents on his windows PC and having his exams next day will surely keep on installing OS and do virus scannings when faced with a virus, BSOD,crashes,hangups etc! U r right. People have a lotta spare time to waste in todays world of competition and struggle! ;)

I guess this is turning into another Win Vs linux war!

mihirvashist

Journeyman
tech_your_future said:

ya...you are right but MS no matter how good in product development do not have business ethics...their cheap marketing strategies prove my point.....and as far as title of topic is concerned they are all industrial surveys and no matter how accurate they are(according to industrial sources)they are not the actual picture/story...so i don't think there's any point in getting perturbed by this useless news...they are just industrial news
don't worry..in future linux will dominate ..and yes corporates are using windows mainly for the ease of use not because it is better...we all know that linux is better than windows in all aspects(specialy networking)but it is more visible in windows..in linux u have to dig in the core(something most ppl groan abt)..and as we all know linux is breaking that barrier..so i'll stick to my point LINUX IS THE FUTURE and forget abt how gud windows is ..it won't help them when their time will come

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom