is swap a different partition ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

saurabh kakkar

D i s t i n c t l y Ahead
hi
as i am new in the amazing word of Linux . i wanna know is swap a different

partition or a sub portion ( virtual ) of main Linux partition ?

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
swap can be a different partition (which is the commonly followed conventionn) or it can be a file (jus like windows). basically it jus needs some allotted space on harddisk to perform the swap operation.

OP
saurabh kakkar

saurabh kakkar

praka123 said:
better have a seperate partition of approx 500 mb.

thanks for Ur suggestion i m having swap as a different partition in my

ubuntu 7.04 but wana know suppose i format my linux partition and swap

partition from windows will they appear different drives or one ?

Pathik

Google Bot
you wont be able to access or edit ur ext3 or swap partitions without any 3rd party softs..w

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
if u haf a separate swap partition then it'll appear as a separate drive (drive is not a correct word here! partition is the correct word. but ussed here jus for understanding sake.)

pathiks said:
you wont be able to access or edit ur ext3 or swap partitions without any 3rd party softs..w
he can't access but he can definitely format the partitions using disk management of win nt/2k/xp/vista.

Last edited:

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Swap won't appear in Windows even after you install the EXT2/3 Drivers. They do appear in those application-based readers but they hardly contain any file in them.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
QwertyManiac said:
Swap won't appear in Windows even after you install the EXT2/3 Drivers. They do appear in those application-based readers but they hardly contain any file in them.
he doesn't wanna access or modify the FS. he just wants to format it. disk manager fails to recognise the type of FS for ext2/3 swap parittion type and lists it as "unknown FS". but windows shows those partitions in disk manager and allows to format it or delete the partition.

anantkhaitan

Burning Bright
I was reading about the ReadyBoost feature in Pista .. then thought of having a swap file on the Pen Drive that would do the same.. fortunately/unfortunately I got a readymade solution

Now this script lacks one feature.. tell me how can I make a dump file of alloted file size..Hope I am clear

Last edited:
OP
saurabh kakkar

saurabh kakkar

anantkhaitan said:
I was reading about the ReadyBoost feature in Pista .. then thought of having a swap file on the Pen Drive that would do the same.. fortunately/unfortunately I got a readymade solution

Now this script lacks one feature.. tell me how can I make a dump file of alloted file size..Hope I am clear

Pista cool buddy nd good link also

another Q has popped in my mind :

what if i delete swap partition from my windows xp will my ubuntu work fine ?

though i will do it but i m curious to know .

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
infra_red_dude said:
he doesn't wanna access or modify the FS. he just wants to format it. disk manager fails to recognise the type of FS for ext2/3 swap parittion type and lists it as "unknown FS". but windows shows those partitions in disk manager and allows to format it or delete the partition.
Ah am sorry, I had just woken up then, didn't quite understand what was going on and perhaps, skipped a few messages. Apologies to all. :)

And I guess if you do chop the swap off, fstab will go screaming perhaps. Might not be anything more than that. But then again, I haven't done anything like this before.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
If the swap partition isn't found, you will get error during the boot up that it wasn't found. And those with graphical login, might not even notice that.
Besides, you will have some problems if you are low on RAM.
Otherwise linux will work fine.
Had happened to me once while messing around with multi-boot system.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
saurabh kakkar said:
what if i delete swap partition from my windows xp will my ubuntu work fine ?
setting up swap..........................................[fail]

that's it... but hey you are still welcomed at ur gui/console welcome screen! :) don't worry.. nothing wil happen...

Last edited:

anantkhaitan

Burning Bright
I mean we will give a user defined filesize as parameter ..Arre suppose if the command is xyz then we will issue something like this
Code:
$ xyz --filesize 100 --name abc
This will create a dump file "abc" of size 100 KB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom