is something wrong with my graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.

raviramgopal

Broken In
hi
i have a nvidia geforce 6600 PCI-E.whenever i play sum game (like pro evolution soccer 2008,pro evolution soccer6,fifa 07)it runs smoothly in the begening but after sometime my system completely hangs and restarts.this didnt happen earlier when i played PES 6 or fifa 07.i have even tried reinstalling my nvidia driver and OS.but the problem still persists.Can anyone tell me what is wrong.thanks

phreak0ut

The Thread Killer >:)
Do you observe this problem on the latest driver? If so, I suggest you move back to the old driver. This seemed to have worked out for few guys.

The Conqueror

Elevating Humanity
Use the latest "Stable" Driver available for ur card or use the old driver that came with ur card
This should solve thee problem

there is also one more way - FORMAT and RE-INSTALL Windows XP
though I dont recommend it

hellgate

At Hell's Disq
^^^ is ur pc oced???if yes then reduce oc and try.
possibles causes for ur prob r:
1>PSU has become weak.
2>System unstable due to oc
3>Procy overheating
4>Driver incompatibility

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
Get nvtemp logger for logging GPU temps, st eneble logging. Then after restarting, u can open the logfile for temps of GPU at restart time.
And also use Speedfan, or Asus PC probe for getting CPU, MCP, HD temps and post to see if nyone has gone unstable due to temps.
U can get nvtemplogger from
www.guru3d.com

OP
R

raviramgopal

Broken In
hi,
i still havent been able to fix the problem.i even tried nvtemp as dom1nator suggested but that thing doesnt work(a window just appears).i have noticed that the game runs smoothly for a little longer time if i reduce the resolution in the game settings.bnut it still hangs and restarts so does this problem have to do anything with my SMPS or is something wrong with my graphics card.

hellgate

At Hell's Disq
^^^ install Rivatuner and record the temps u get while gaming.if temps r within limit then it cud either be a case of procy overheating or a psu prob

hellgate

At Hell's Disq
^^^ play the game and let Rivatuner monitor and record temps in the backgrnd.
see the temp log and get to know whther ur pc is restarting cuz of gpu overheating.

hellgate

At Hell's Disq
run Rivatuner.
under Traget Adapter click on Customize -> Hardware Monitoring.
after hardware monitoring page opens click on Setup and chose where u wanna save the log file under the option Log File Settings.

after that close setup and on the hardware monitoring page click on the red button to enable temp monitoring.

Last edited:

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
clean off the dust on CPu nd GPU fans which causes temps to build up.
And u anyhow have to log the temps to point out if the defect is with card.

OP
R

raviramgopal

Broken In
my driver(169.21) is not supported by rivatuner v2.06.it shows the temp as 0.which version is supported by rivatuner or is there a way to fix this.

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
169.21 is surelly supported by riva tuner. Try ntune from nvidia site.
orelse the GPU temps sensing is gone kaput, so the GPU is not slowing down even when it reaches threshold, i think.

Which brand is ur card?

OP
R

raviramgopal

Broken In
^^^^^,rivatuner gave a warning message saying it has not been tested with my driver.i have even tried ntune.even that shows 0.i have a sparkle nvidia geforce 6600.

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
anyway rivatuner 2.06 is working flawlessly for my 7600GT with 169.21, nd also ntune shows temps correctly.
I think the sensor is gone.
Can u regulate the fan speed via riva tuner or ntune? Set it @ 100% nd see it there is a big whirling noise from card. If yes, then start the game nd see if it again overheats.
Do one thing, play for sometime, then poweroff[plug out] suddenly nd touch the upper sideof the card's PCB where the GPU is located beneath. Do remember to earth urself by touching ur foot to floor inorder to avaoid static current cause problem in ckts.
If its too hot, then surelly the card is getting unstable.

Rollercoaster

-The BlacKCoaT Operative-
you should also consider checking your RAM as well as your PSU.

check ram using memtest and PSU by replacing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom