Is SATA II worth considering....???

Status
Not open for further replies.

KKK

Broken In
Reading many posts about MSI K8N and ASUS A8N-E, i wonder that with these mobos supporting SATA II, is it worth spending in a SATA II HDD and what would be the price difference between SATA I and SATA II HDDs of 160GB and 200GB capacity???

G

gxsaurav

SATA 1 was not worth considering as it provided very less beniftes in performance over PATA 133, however Harddisks with SATA 2 & NCQ are far better in performance

go for them if u can find them

Kniwor

Learner
SATA II is a fast but, but u need to have a fast HDD to take advantage of the fast interface, i dont know what HDD's are coming with SATA II interface....

but if the same old Seagate barracuda is coming wiith SATA II, it is NOT worth considering.....

OP
K

KKK

Broken In
Kniwor! Kniwor!

KNIWOR ......Man i think you are spending too much time in this and the other forums!!
8) So please give ur self a little rest 8)

jay4u

In the zone
i heard that SATA II will only be worth considering only if the hdd supports higher rpm... more than 10000 rpm... typically disk like Western digital...... else it is on par with SATA I disks..........

But here lies the problem... western digital disks with 10000 rpm are costlier and causes a lot of noise......

Kniwor

Learner
jay4u said:
i heard that SATA II will only be worth considering only if the hdd supports higher rpm... more than 10000 rpm... typically disk like Western digital...... else it is on par with SATA I disks..........

But here lies the problem... western digital disks with 10000 rpm are costlier and causes a lot of noise......

this is what i meant to say

Kniwor said:
SATA II is a fast but, but u need to have a fast HDD to take advantage of the fast interface, i dont know what HDD's are coming with SATA II interface....

but if the same old Seagate barracuda is coming wiith SATA II, it is NOT worth considering.....

so our seagate barracudas dont support high speeds, they will read read at around 80~100 Mbps, now how does it matter what interface is there to transfer data....

"The rate of a reaction is slowest of all steps" OR "The slowest step in reaction is rate determining"

so basically all the 3, PATA, SATA, and SATA II, will give the SAME performance.....

now ask me why did i spend on SATA if it has same performance as PATA....

1. The Price Difference is less
2. Better Airflow...
3. DATA might at times come in bursts, it is not entirely continuous.... so a little overhead speed might improve performance, but this is my theory and i dont expect u to accept the reasoning........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom