Is online payment through Credit Cards Safe???

Status
Not open for further replies.

go4saket

Hello Friends! I just wanted to weather or not payments on the net via Credit Cards safe

enough. Actually I dont know the exact procedure, but to what I know, I guess all one has to

do is give the Credit Card number, holders name, date of expiry etc (all that is mentioned

on the Credit card itself) to purchase anything on the net. There is no need for any

password as is in the case of Debit Cards.

Now what if someone gets the details of my Credit Card, may that be someone around me or

some one working in the company from where I have purchased something using my Credit Card,

and start misusing it. Is such a thing possible? If yes, how can that be stopped.

Please explain me the procedure how shopping goes with help of Credit cards.

Thank you.

Generic Superhero

Journeyman
depends on what site u r makin the purchase on. u may purchase from reliable sites. i hav purchased many times from ebay (baazee) no probs at all

b4 makin a purchse...
see if the site has a security certifificate
make sure that this is the site u want 2 purchase from i.e. beware of phishing, look at the address bar carefully
most secure sites have a https b4 the url
clean ur sys from spywares--they may steal ur card number

zegulas

Traceur
Even i have made payments through credit card and no problems faced yet. But be sure its a safe place where u r giving ur C.C.No, don't give it away anywhere (means sites that no one has ever heard about, O.K?)
:wink: :D

Tech&ME

Banned
I have used my Credit Card to make payments for my air ticket online, I have used it with AIR DECCAN, JET AIRWAYS, etc, AMAZON.com, etc. No problems yet.

Ya it is true that the information asked for a online credit card transaction are all available on your Credit Card itself. Even the CCV no. is printed on your at the back on the siganture strip which is usually asked for security reasons.

But there as ways to use your Card online. You must first varify that the site you are giving info have a security certificate. To varify that a site (transaction page) has this certificates you must see that the address bar shows the address which starts with "HTTPS" and also a LOCK sign will must appear on the status bar of your browser window. To further varify the certificate click on this lock sign to get more details on it.

And for your info, the information you enter on the secure page never goes to the product selling site. This info is taken by the bank itself also known as bank gateway.

Charley

Just Do It
If u use it in legal sites it doesnt matter. But if u go to unwanted sites , will create probs.

choudang

Padawan
i have used my CC in variuos sites.... till now no prob. but all those that i have used are verified with secure transtn. if you will use it with some unknown sites.... may be it will create a prob...

Imp Note: DONOT USE YOU C.C. OR BANKING THROUGH PUBLIC COMPUTERS.

Charley

Just Do It
warrior said:
but all those that i have used are verified with secure transtn.

my Pa faced probs twice even with those sites with https.... It doesnt always have to be secure.

OP
go4saket

go4saket

What if someone gets the details of my CC, say some shopkeeper where I use my CC to purchase something. Can that person use my CC details and misuse my funds for his personal use. If that is possible, what will a https site do. The https site cant see the user, right?

tuxfan

Technomancer
There is one more number on all credit cards at the back on the signing strips. Some sites also ask the last 3 digits of that number.

mario_pant

In the zone
just check for phishing (use IE7 for that)
Check for security cirtification (eg. with verisign, etc) you can see the logo on the site somewhere at the bottom or somehwere
make sure the site ahs a GOOD customer care service (with a toll free number.. LOL)
u know i used my credit card for the digit subscription ever since i started... it worked fine and no prob...
i was a bit hesitant in the starting though...........
also whenever u see some thhing "you did not purchase" and is on ur credit card.... make no further queries.... just cancel your credit card.......

also good companies like ICICI and HDFC have a special transaction portal... in that you have to give your user password and PIN i think.....
but SBI requires no such thing.....

tuxfan

Technomancer
I use it for purchasing petrol, but don't hand it over to anyone. I personally stand while the fellow swipes my card. :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom