is northwood still available ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yogi7272

Cyborg Agent
hi guys , i am looking for a pentium 4 socket 478 processor .. i would like to know that the northwood p 4 are still available ? if not in india then where ? cos i am not interested in buying prescott for its heat issues and plan to get a 3.2 ghz and oc it to 3.8-4 ghz ... :lol:

pls share some useful info .......

G

gxsaurav

the production of northwood Core ended in Novembar 2004, they are not available anymore, the 3GHz + northwoods never made it to the indian market anyway

Better buy a Pentium 4 6xx series CPU with EIST or Athlon64

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
Hmm in that case try and get a venice 3000+ and a get a good mobo like the a8n-e and overclock the 3000+ to 3500+ specs and above. Week 17 and week 24 venice's are what you should be looking for. Some members at TE have taken their 3000+ to 2.7Ghz and above. :D

G

gxsaurav

in that case get the Pentium 4 630 CPU atleast with 915 GAV motherboard or better

OP
yogi7272

yogi7272

Cyborg Agent
guys u don't get my point ...... i just dont want to change my mobo ...

i have got asus p4p 800 e deluxe 865 pe chipset board which performs very well ... no point in getting new mobo .. also currently using friend's
2.6 ghz northwood proci ... hence the curiosity for northwood availibility ..

now my processor tem is 31 c but the mobo tem is 35 -37 degress .. is it normal to have mobo temp greater than proci temp .. there is a passive cooling on my northbridge .. should i stick a 40 mm fan on it ? :?

pls advice

G

gxsaurav

hmm, in that case, try to find out for Pentium 4 3 GHz with 800 MHz FSB, prescott core based CPU or Pentium 4 3.06 GHz with 533 FSB & northwood, get which ever is available, going beyond 3 GHz isn't required, as right now nothing can stress a 3 GHz CPU, even with games 3 GHz is enough

Although when it comes to 3D rendering & heavy Video encoding, more speed is always better, but U will only notice difference of a maximum of 12 seconds (estimate) with each 200 MHz speed jump

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
^^FEAR, COD 2, GTA: SA are few games where a faster CPU benefits. And P4's arent exactly the fastest when it comes to games.

G

gxsaurav

I know, pentium 4 isn't the fastest anymore, & it's also more hot, but for this case, 3 GHz is the best way to go

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom