Is my system feeling cold ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

spyder

Broken In
After all the overheating problems people hav , now here I hav my system feelin cold.
It is an old Intel 845 (4 yrs old) , but sort of overloaded.
RAM: 512 + 256 MB.
HDD: 250 + 160 GB.
Processor: Intel P4 1.9 Ghz.

The problem started a month back.In the morning, it is very cold here in delhi.So when I start the computer , it hangs 2-3 times at different levels , before starting properly.It hangs up first at the very first screen , next time on windows loading screen & finally at desktop.
The number of times it hangs varies between 2-5.
Then it warms up & works perfectly.
Probably just like a normal 100- 150 cc bike does in winters.

I don't think the large HDD pose a problem.
After warming up it works perfectly , I can even press windows while playing Underground 2 or San Andreas or Most Wanted & come back in 5 secs.
Also one day my system started with an incorrect time.

A lot of u might want to laugh at this but still pls help me.

And if it is nothing serious , I can wait till summers to see if it works.

OP
spyder

spyder

Broken In
I hav reinstalled windows.
So no bad sectors on the windows partition atleast.

I hav AVG 7.5 Free. It does not detect any viruses.

Also the question is why it hangs only at start and works fine after 2-3 hangs.

shantanu

Technomancer
try removing your RAM means one chip at a time and then check ...

if still problem persists then you got to RE PARTITION your system .... but first check that all your system drivers are working fine and are installed properly if you have genuine windows then try updating

OP
spyder

spyder

Broken In
Re - Partition ?? How will it hlp ??
Windows is updated...........

Also I forgot to tell that my RAM slot was repaired once.

But as I mentioned above system works perfectly after warmin up , so probably RAM might not be a problem.

n2casey

Super Hero - Super Powers
@ spyder

One of my friend is also facing the same prob. The HDD was making a prob & repartitioning is the solution, so shantanu is right.

OP
spyder

spyder

Broken In
Can u explain How RE - partitioning helps ??

I mean what sort of partitions should I make ??
And only on HDD with the OS ??

shantanu

Technomancer
try downloading the software i will give you the link so tell me whats your HDD make means seagate or samsung or any other

OP
spyder

spyder

Broken In
seagate . both of them.
Do u just want me to fomat d complete disk & repartition in anyway or is there sumthing specific??

shantanu

Technomancer
*www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/discwizard

here download the cd iso image in starter edition then burn a cd and boot from it after that when your cd boot process is completed then click on maintenance options and zero fill your drives "quick" ONE BY ONE then setup your harddisk with proper size of what you want.. and reinstall XP after that

OP
spyder

spyder

Broken In
I can't try all that till this weekend.

But can u check sumthing more on it.
It is a Compaq PC so the very first screen that comes has Compaq written in the center.

Now the thing is , at the time of display of this screen , d HDDs hav not been detected. So why does it hang even at this screen ??

shantanu

Technomancer
ok BUDDYi understand that you are in trouble but .. your HDD is detected when you switch on your PC a TAK sound comes and HDD is powered on...

TRY THIS:::: take out one of your hdd and leave the hdd with your windows installation.. then try if your pc hangs or not.... IT CAN BE POSSIBLE THAT YOUR HDD's are consuming more power then your system can give COZ::::::::::when your PC starts the SMPS starts to give power and at boot up your HDD consumes MAX. power and after that it comes to normal..

TRY DOWNLOADING THIS SOFTWARE and then see your HDD's smart profiles

*www.thecomputernext.bravehost.com/downloads/sis.exe

this is sisoftware sandra which will help you sort out the problem..

OP
spyder

spyder

Broken In
Thanks a lot Shantanu.The software looks kool.
But can u help me wid it? Which option I hav to use ??

And u sure if I format d whole disk , the problem will go away ??

shantanu

Technomancer
Look We can just try !!! Its very much possible that the problem goes away!!!
THIS METHOD IS FOR DM IS SAID YOU TO DOWNLOAD BEFORE..
You have to click on maintenence option and then on Zero Fill Drive Full (it will take time so leave your system for about three hours depending on the HDD size)

REMEMBER THAT ONLY DO THIS TO YOUR BOOT HDD means on the disk your XP is installed and on which you will install.

REMOVE YOUR OTHER HDD WHILE DOING THIS.. DETACH IT AND DO THIS AFTER THIS INSTALL XP AND INSTALL ALL THE DRIVERS AND THEN RUN YOUR SYSTEM FOR SOME TIME AND SEE IF YOU GET THE SLOWDOWN LIKE BEFORE OR SOMETHING.. IF NOT THEN ATTACH YOUR REMOVED HDD AGAIN ... THEN SEE IOF YOU GET THE PROBLEM... IF YES THEN ITS PROBLEM WITH YOUR POWER SUPPLY>>>>>> BUT TRY THE ABOVE ON YOUR BOOT HDD AND I THINK THE PROBLEM WILL SORT OUT.... :D

THIS IS FOR SISOFTWARE SANDRA:

click on storage options or harddisk and see the smart properties.. if all things are ok there then its allright if not then your HDD is having a problem..

ApoorvKhatreja

Journeyman
I don't think you guys have realised the problem. System hanging maybe caused due to excessive heating OR accumulation of dust on your motherboard or which may have jammed an internal fan. I suggest opening your cabinet and cleaning it up a bit. I'm telling this from experience.

gaurav_indian

CG Artist
spyder said:
After all the overheating problems people hav , now here I hav my system feelin cold.
It is an old Intel 845 (4 yrs old) , but sort of overloaded.
RAM: 512 + 256 MB.
HDD: 250 + 160 GB.
Processor: Intel P4 1.9 Ghz.

The problem started a month back.In the morning, it is very cold here in delhi.So when I start the computer , it hangs 2-3 times at different levels , before starting properly.It hangs up first at the very first screen , next time on windows loading screen & finally at desktop.
The number of times it hangs varies between 2-5.
Then it warms up & works perfectly.
Probably just like a normal 100- 150 cc bike does in winters.

I don't think the large HDD pose a problem.
After warming up it works perfectly , I can even press windows while playing Underground 2 or San Andreas or Most Wanted & come back in 5 secs.
Also one day my system started with an incorrect time.

A lot of u might want to laugh at this but still pls help me.

And if it is nothing serious , I can wait till summers to see if it works.
I have the same problem.And because of that I first run Windows 2000 and then run Win xp then it runs fine.But if I start Win Xp it hangs at the desktop.Very strange problem.

shaunak

Tux Fan
From a power conservation article:

Hard Drive- This is the main concern when discussing shutting your PC down or not. A hard drive, when turned on, will experience a surge of electricity that will spin its platter to a speed of approximately 10,000 rpm. It will then begin to warm up and reach an optimum operating temperature.

Yes your pc could be feeling too cold, your hard drive actually. Repartitioning could help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom