Is my OS infected ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
Hi All
I am using Gutsy Gibbon.. While surfing for a while my system hangs a lot .. The cursor didn't move and then I had to restart by abnormal shutdown. Whats the problem ? Is it a virus or what .. though its pretty obvious that its not a virus but I am facing the problem from quite a few days :( Please let me know the solution :|

Regards

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Check your hardware too. Most of such sudden problems are a result of failing or about to fail hardware.
Maybe you'll get some info in the logs too.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
During boot just see the messages, do you see fsck running often?

*img217.imageshack.us/img217/9472/pubthefuture2cisopen466cr4.png

Last edited:
OP
Dark Star

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
@mediator observe KDe ? WTH is this ? Its already updating..
@Mehul I guess this might be a problem !!!!
@NucleosKore No fsck didn't run often .Well I haven't seen it from a long time running during boot :)

Just FYI it only hangs if I use my PC for a long time and generally when I open pages heavy with Java and all plugins :(

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Could well be cooling problems, Install some tempreture monitoring software and see if the tempreture is at normal level or not?

sachin_kothari

Ambassador of Buzz
i faced a similar situation.
and that happened to me on ubuntu as well as vista (no probs in xp).
guess my hardware is not upto mark.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Hi All
I am using Gutsy Gibbon.. While surfing for a while my system hangs a lot .. The cursor didn't move and then I had to restart by abnormal shutdown. Whats the problem ? Is it a virus or what .. though its pretty obvious that its not a virus but I am facing the problem from quite a few days :( Please let me know the solution :|

Regards
I've got a ditto issue while I run GNOME. It simply hangs, mostly while Firefox is open but happens otherwise too. The System simply stops responding, no HDD activity, no activity at all.

This however doesn't occur while I run KDE 3.5.x (kubuntu-desktop). And am on that now.

Plus, these hangs only sometimes respond to a ALT+SYSRQ+R|E|I|S|U|B keys. There's nothing in the logs about any sort of malfunctioning device, etc. I guess its some deep issue rooted under GNOME but I can't be sure.

You can avoid this issue by only using small load applications like rTorrent, MPD, etc. I've used them for long now and they hardly lead to such a situation. Can't replace Firefox, sadly. Addicted to that.

P.s. I thought this was due to my H/W (Even though Win-XP and Kubuntu work perfectly alright) but am glad am not alone :p

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Out of curiosity . Arent memory leaks supposed to create the same problems? I recall me getting pretty much the same issue when trackerd goes haywire. So you might want to check if that service is acting funky. Or check the memory consumption of other proceses.

OP
Dark Star

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
What version of gnome are you people using?

Thanks Harsh your post made me feel gr88.. well in that case I will switch to KDE :) Also Gnome players stop responding but Amarok never hanged ;) Here I comes KDE .. btw what do you guys suggest me KDE 3.5.8 or KDE 4.01 ?

praka123

left this forum longback
for Me,in Gnome,no such problems apart from firefox hanging esp with java :-| .yes,I am on Ubuntu with only 384MB of RAM and a 300MB swap :)

and..Debian Sid Gnome is tad faster than gutsy one.but now some people are saying gutsy sometimes is ....pita :p

I think ur problem may be buggy application(s) which uses out memory :) observe the common apps u use and monitor their memory usage via gnome-system-monitor .
if you found the faulty app,try submitting a bug report via reportbug script. :)

vish786

"The Gentleman"
I am on gutsy gibbon gnome from past 2 days with 1024mb swap space... even if meh system hangs its just recovers back within few seconds :sigh:

OP
Dark Star

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
for Me,in Gnome,no such problems apart from firefox hanging esp with java :-| .yes,I am on Ubuntu with only 384MB of RAM and a 300MB swap :)

and..Debian Sid Gnome is tad faster than gutsy one.but now some people are saying gutsy sometimes is ....pita :p

I think ur problem may be buggy application(s) which uses out memory :) observe the common apps u use and monitor their memory usage via gnome-system-monitor .
if you found the faulty app,try submitting a bug report via reportbug script. :)

There is no unkown app. I use Anjuta, Amarok ,FF, and nothing else. I don't know whats the problem .. Please tell me how to install KDE 3.5.8 in Ubuntu ? or should I install KDE 4.01 ?

mediator

Technomancer

Yes it seems like a bug to me. Also instead of firefox people can give a try to opera n then post.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
To install KDE *www.filledvoid.com/2008/02/15/how-to-install-kde-on-your-ubuntu-gutsy-gibbon-desktop/

I wrote the procedure for KDE 3.5 if you want 4.0.1 then theres a lin below at the bottom which points to the appropriate page which explains how to install that as well. However I think that you can have KDE 3.5 and 4.0.1 together or from what I read thats what I understand.

By the way I wouldn't try Opera on Ubuntu 64 bit or at least I experience the same problems you have in Firefox when I use Opera. However Firefox is working flawlessly for me. I think you need to monitor the memory being used . I suspect a memory leak in one of the applications you are using.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Dark_Star - List your hardware out please. :)

exx_2000 - Yes it might be possible due to some part of GNOME not keeping the memory leak in check, but sometimes (This thing is very random!) even applications like DrPython, etc lead to a crash.

Yes, trackerd explosion makes my HDD whine for some time but it recovers after the operation is complete (I disabled system CRON to avoid this from happening on a daily basis). This one is totally opposite.

I don't know how to report a bug this random, nor do I know how to look for one if already reported; just can't lock on to any descriptive keywords.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom