Is my monitor gonna die?

Status
Not open for further replies.

funnyguy_nm

Right off the assembly line
My monitor occasionally blanks out to a bright line (in the centre of the screen), without any warning. I then have to turn it off(using keyboard shortcuts, etc), and it usually functions normally if I switch it on after 10 minutes.
Also, sometimes, the CPU emits a beeping sound, and the monitor blanks out momentarily, before returning to the previous display - only everything's frozen now, and I have to switch it off from the mains.
Are these two problems related? What should I do to correct them?
I have a 15 inch LG Studioworks 55V (4 year old), running on an AMD Athlon 2000+, with 256 mb DDR-RAM, on an MSI motherboard.

borg

In the zone
Hmmm... let me see. First of all i don't think the two probs are related. The first problem (the bright line in the display) seems to purely be a display problem. I think its some electrical problem. I can't say anythingfrom here, but I guess its a problem with the L.O.T. Again I have to say that I cannot say much from just reading your post. I am just making a guess. Most probably it is a L.O.T problem. Get it serviced from a qualified technician. It most probably will be fixed. The second problem is something to do with your Computer (CPU that is). U said something about beeping, what kind of beeping is it?. Also try to see if your display card is properly fixed. If you have an onboard display card, then it is something else then. Anyway lets handle one problem at a time. Get ur monitor serviced from the company guys preferably.

krisjr

In the zone
funnyguy_nm said:
My monitor occasionally blanks out to a bright line (in the centre of the screen), without any warning. I then have to turn it off(using keyboard shortcuts, etc), and it usually functions normally if I switch it on after 10 minutes.
Also, sometimes, the CPU emits a beeping sound, and the monitor blanks out momentarily, before returning to the previous display - only everything's frozen now, and I have to switch it off from the mains.
Are these two problems related? What should I do to correct them?
I have a 15 inch LG Studioworks 55V (4 year old), running on an AMD Athlon 2000+, with 256 mb DDR-RAM, on an MSI motherboard.

hi,
well i faces a similar problem some years back..i still dont know why(those nerds out there do let me know the reason)..well the prob was out of no where my moniter screen used to cut into 2 halves.the upper half used to be black but the lower half used to be like normal..i hope ur getting me..when my tech guy checked it out,i guess he did some soldering work(if i am not wrond) in the PCB and wallah it worked..when that prob used to happen i used to bang the moniter,cpu,ups hard in order for the moniter to look normalll.

well my point is to just tell u..ur prob sure looks diff.also u hav an old monitor..maybe it has become senile.tel u r tech guy to chek it.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
borg said:
First of all i don't think the two probs are related. The first problem (the bright line in the display) seems to purely be a display problem.
I agree with this, though it's impossible to be sure without checking. The bright horizontal line indicates failure of the vertical deflection circuit.

Since the defect is intermittent, it's most probably a dry solder joint or a loose connection in the vertical deflection section. Metal expands with heat and loses electrical contact if it's not properly joined. Slap the monitor a bit and see if the display is restored.

A good electronics technician probably won't have too much trouble locating and rectifying the problem.

For the second symptom, see if the CPU fan is spinning properly, and also see if any of the motherboard capacitors look unhealthy. Various manufacturers unknowingly bought millions of defective capacitors and used them on a large number of motherboards manufactured 1 to 4 years ago. Some failed in a few months while some others lasted a couple of years.

OP
F

funnyguy_nm

Right off the assembly line
Well,
actually, my monitor does seem to come back to life when I slap it a few times. I suppose I'll try and get my tech guy to come see ...
Well, the beep I was talking about is like the beep when it boots up - 1 short beep. And sometimes, the entire system just turns off, all by itself, with no warning - I am not sure if anything's loose at the back(or inside), as it will boot up normally after a while, with no meddling by me.
My motherboard has an onboard Geforce2 MX chipset.

techno_funky

da' Ťurntable ruleth
funnyguy_nm said:
Well,
actually, my monitor does seem to come back to life when I slap it a few times. I suppose I'll try and get my tech guy to come see ...
Well, the beep I was talking about is like the beep when it boots up - 1 short beep. And sometimes, the entire system just turns off, all by itself, with no warning - I am not sure if anything's loose at the back(or inside), as it will boot up normally after a while, with no meddling by me.
My motherboard has an onboard Geforce2 MX chipset.

check up your SMPS
your RAM sticks
maybe a SMPS problem not providing proper supply
restarts your computer
even failing RAM shows these signs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom