Is linux worth learning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilzdad

Broken In
Hi frnds,
I'm a newbie to the world of linux(Ubuntu).So it's sucking most of my time and energy.I experienced difficulties starting frm the installing ubuntu OS to installing softwares in ubuntu.Of course i'm ready to spend as much time it requires.But now a days one simple question is pulling me back to microsoft windows.The question is:

"Is it worth to spend so much time to learn linux although i can do most of these things very easily in windows??"

Frnds,will u plz answer dis question?? :confused:

mediator

Technomancer
Re: will u plz answer dis question??

Its all about getting used to an OS. U can install programs through "add/remove programs" , "synaptic manager" etc.

For your question, I wud like to answer by another question. "Were u able to do all the tasks like installing, repairing, maintaining etc all by urself when u were a noobie to MS-Windows world? How many times did u call ur system engineer to ur home to fix ur OS/softwares/hardwares when u were a noobie and wasted 1000s of bucks?" Answer urself without any partiality and u'll urself realise that Learning is never a waste.

If u have any problems in linux, then there is an entire community eager to help u out. U have online step by step manuals available so that a kid can also understand and act accordingly. It far better than calling system engineers, isn't it?

If u wanna explore a lil further then read this => "Linux : Making life easy"
If u wanna witness shock n awe of desktop environments then look here => *ubuntuforums.org/gallery/

There is lot to learn in linux. Though u can do almost all the tasks in *nix without Commandlines, but learning CLI gives u an upper edge and makes ur computing far far better. U can never experience that in windows. U'll realise it only if u learn it. :)

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Re: will u plz answer dis question??

devilzdad said:
"Is it worth to spend so much time to learn linux although i can do most of these things very easily in windows??"
If it wasn't worth why would so many people migrate. For me, too, it's been worth it. I have learned so much about computers, which I am sure I would never have learnt while using windows. Windows hides real computing from the users to make the OS 'idiot friendly' whereas *nix's try to make the OS 'user friendly'. And then linux is just one of the *nix, only major OS not to fall in that category is Windows. So, windows is the exception rather than rule. So, what you will learn under linux will help under other OS'es too, including windows.
And the freedom which linux offers the end user cannot be matched by any proprietory OS.

rajasekharan

Youngling
yeah learning Linux is worth all the time that you spend in it . it shows you what your comp exactly does . it makes you feel good about your comp . it makes you feel that you are a comp tech :). if you got time . then Linux can teach you million things that windows cant :).

shashank4u

Youngling
there was a time when i have installed ubuntu..
then my lan card rtl 8139..doesn't get detected..
and so i m not able to surf teh internet from linux..
then after some experimenting...i dumped it..
now i m lookin for the suse linux 10.2 hope that
will support my lan card....

OP
devilzdad

devilzdad

Broken In
@mediator: Thanx for those gr8 links........
@all:
Thanx for ur replies....... i think i got the answer.......:smile:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom