Is it the problem of RAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

phreak0ut

The Thread Killer >:)
I bought a 512MB DDR 400Mhz RAM. So, I now have 2x512MB RAM @ 400Mhz, but during the boot, the BIOS shows as 333MHz when running on dual-channel. Running the system on individual module shows as 400MHz. I've got 4 slots on my motherboard and tried all the combinations, but when running on dual-channel, it is underclocked to 333MHz :( What is the reason?

monkey

Padawan
Check the Motherboard manual. It should be containing schematic diagram showing how to install memory to get 400MHz. Different types of memory installed diffrently will yield diffrent speeds.

OP
phreak0ut

phreak0ut

I've got a MSI-RS480M2 model. Sorry for not mentioning before. @monkey-I did check out the manual. Even after installing the way they have suggested, I'm getting 333MHz :(

OP
phreak0ut

phreak0ut

I had flashed the BIOS almost a week after I bought my system. That was around 2 years back. There are no latest updates on this. So, yes, the problem still exists.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Point No: 1 : Are those ram modules from same brand. If not, this could be a latency issue so the mobo limits the speed to maintain stability

Point No: 2 :I think your mobo doesn't supports dual channel ddr upto 400Mhz
instead it supports dual channel mode @ 333Mhz max.

Correct me if I am wrong.....................

OP
phreak0ut

phreak0ut

Now, there is a BIG problem. I tried to change few things like you guys told and the system refuses to boot. I mean, it switches on, but that's it. Nothing else happens. I changed the Memclock Index Value to 250MHz and left the CAS# Latency(Tcl) to 2.5 (or 3.0 I don't remember properly). The manual says that 3.0 gives the best performance. There is one more thing which I changed. The GFX clock mode. I changed it to Async mode, from Sync. This might be the main cause. I thought that I had fried my RAM modules, but I checked it over at my friend's place and it's fine. Resetting the CMOS jumper to clear the data hasn't helped. Removed the battery to see if it clears the data, that didn't help either. The settings are not falling back to defaults, now what do I do??? It's really urgent! Lot of work pending :( :( Oh, BTW, the RAM modules are of different companies. I bought those 'coz I couldn't afford more than that. 1 is a Hynix(I know it can't be called as a brand) and the other is Dynet(there is no Hynix available now in SP Road, Bangalore) :(

EDIT: Though I can boot my system now, I can't get the RAM to run at 400MHz. I took out the battery for a longer period to clear the setting.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom