is it that Sony DVD writer can't play Digit Dvds ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
I have Sony DVD RW DW-Q120A,

I had bought it but never really used it a lot

Also I am not buying Digit or any other magzine from long time but it happened to me from last 2 months that I decided to buy Digit and few other magzine..

Sadly, last month I baught digit and two other mag .. having DVD for around 8GB data each.. none worked, I asked hawker, he said that I can replace but I did not happn to get it replace.. lazy me :p

Today I bought Nov Issuee.. just aise hi.. and agin no DVD Is working..
CD is fine.. and DVD of movis ie. around 4GB are working but not mag's DVD

Just add here that there is PCQuest who PCQLinux 2007 was released on 8GB DVD and it worked for me..

Is it that my DVD can't play 8GB data DVD or something else is problem ?
Anyone having Sony DVD RW DW-Q120A please confirm me if its DVD drive or somethign else...

~Ricky

prasad_den

Padawan
I really doubt it.. I have a Sony DVD writer, though a different model, but it works with no troubles at all. Maybe you can clean the lens and see..

OP
Ricky

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
Which model you have?

Btw, for that I have to open it or use lens cleaner CDS ? .. do they really work .. I doubt :p

assasin

Banned
i dont think its a prob with the writer.similar probs occured to many other guys in this forum incl me.the prob is the way in which the dvds r encoded.

prasad_den

Padawan
Ricky said:
Which model you have?

Btw, for that I have to open it or use lens cleaner CDS ? .. do they really work .. I doubt :p
I have a G170A. Yes, you can use lens cleaner CDs (you even have Philips lens cleaner CDs).. they do work.. :D

evil_maverick

Journeyman
Hey ricky i also own a dw-q 120 a,havin da same prob!!but actually i did manage to run da dvd after trying 4 a few times......god knows wats the prob,there seems to be no probs though with other dvds!!

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
The 8GB DVDs are DL-DVDs i.e. Double Layer DVDs. Check Sony's manual to see whether it supports DL-DVDs. :)

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
@Ricky first try updating the firmware of the DVD RW to the latest one. Older drives have a problem reading Dual layer DVD's I have a LG combo drive .. it doesnot read dual layer DVD's that well even brand new DVD's .. On the other hand my old Liteon DVD RW also refused to read many dual layer DVD's .. recently I got it replaced and now all are working fine.

Also do check if your drive supports DL DVD as The Unknown pointed out.

OP
Ricky

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
Ok.. looking on sony's website.. this model is not listed.. ?????

Btw, somewhere it says that this model do support dual layer!!
*www.videohelp.com/dvdwriters/sony-dw-q120a/1568

gulgulumaal

Broken In
Sony DW-Q120A is nothing but a rebranded Lite-On SHW-160P6S.
U can try searching for latest firmware for the Lite-On. U might be able to find it.

Check in *club.cdfreaks.com to get info on how to update the firmware of DVD drives. U shud also be able to find latest firmware at that site. Do some searching around in the site.It's a good one.

My Sony DVD writer was also a rebranded Lite-On and I updated it to the latest Lite-On firmware and now it shows up in My Computer as a Lite-On.

moshel

Padawan
i had problems with sony DVD drives too...but inverse of what u have....

i had an old DVD drive, which used to play only original DVDs..for eg. Digit..it didnt play those recorded DVDs...of course this problem happened after the drive warranty got over. so went for a DVD writer from sony. again same problem...Digit DVDs were read, others not...so got it exchanged and now its working fine...

in short, if its in warranty, get it replaced.

OP
Ricky

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
NO yaar. .its not in warranty..

gulugamaal.. I know about that.. I had done actually a very extensive search before posting here..

actually I upgraded firmware too.. its now PYS3 .. earlier was PYS2.

Shall do now lite on way..

OP
Ricky

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
Anyone here?

Well, that DVD writer is now not able to read DVD at all... only reading CDs..

I have updated its firmware, I have replaced 40pin cable to 80pin cable, installed latest Chipset driver from my motherboard. Cleaned its lens manually .. Checked it another computer too...
What else I can do..
Through it away ?

max_demon

IM AS MAD AS HELL!!
me and my friend both have sony dvd rw and digit dvd's (this month's not previous one) is not running properly (it is not running only)

on boths , linux and xp

Ps . mine is latest firmware and his is original firm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom