Is it possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ismart

Journeyman
I have four partitions on my hard disk. I have WinXP SP2 on D and Win98 on C.can I format my C drive and reinstall Win98 on it, without affecting anything on the D drive including winxp?
How will i start my win xp? Any suggestion?Thanks in advance.

Ron

||uLtiMaTE WinNER||
There will be no effect in d: including Win xp untill and untill u dont create part ion or format the drive also........Formating Ur c: will mk no harm to other drives...............
After reinstalling win98 in ur c:.........u can start win xp.......as usually u start......You will find no changes.....

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
hey U can do that..............

But I scared u may face some problem in boot screen.according to microsoft,U should install the never version after the old version.

And XP is newer than win 98...........so U should install XP after win 98.

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
^^^..I also want to ask the same Q............I have seen many people having both win 98 n XP.Some of them say that..they keep win 98 to play games.According to them,win 98 is better for games than XP.

ahref

In the zone
if you will install win98, boot menu will not appear I think, you computer will directly stat win98.

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
ahref said:
if you will install win98, boot menu will not appear I think, you computer will directly stat win98.

I also think the same...I have also mentioned this before in this thread only.

Pathik

Google Bot
u hav to install xp after u install 98 if u want to keep both...
n all games run well in xp too.... 98 sux..

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
Just copy current boot.ini into some other partition nd after 98 reinstall paste it back to C root. Now u can boot into XP.

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
aravind_n20 said:
Just copy current boot.ini into some other partition nd after 98 reinstall paste it back to C root. Now u can boot into XP.

can U please explain in more detail.
thanks in advance...

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
U can run older program on XP also .Read here
*www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/appcompat.mspx

and for games read here.......
*www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/games/expert/durham_og.mspx

OP
I

ismart

Journeyman
i have to keep win98 because my cd writer does not work in xp....and during the computer show black screen,says dumping memory and restarts.

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
First enable display of hidden files nd folders as well as system files. U can do this in folder options. Then go to C:\ and locate file boot.ini nd just copy paste it into some other partition nd after formatting nd reinstalling of 98, just repaste the boot.ini into C:\ nd u will again get the choice of booting into XP. Now if u want then go to folder options nd hide the system files so that u accidently does not delete any system files.

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
^^^I think he need to edit the boot.ini file of XP(which he has saved ealier).

By editing i mean he need to add the win98 line....than only win98 will be detected.

Am I correct??plz conform it?

T

thunderbird.117

coolsunny said:
old games like max payne,recoil,igi do not run on xp....
U need W'98 for them

Just run them in compatiability mode. You will be fine. I ran pretty old dos games in XP and it ran fine.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also i suggest you to remove 98 from your system. Nowdays there is no softwares,games and others that do not run in windows 98. 98 is very old and microsoft stopped supporting the os. I suggest you to start use XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom