is it ok if i put my p.c on hibernate for 3 days ????

Status
Not open for further replies.

tango_cash

In the zone
hi i am going out of station for 3 days. but i have some material i need to get downloaded urgently.
i have bsnl 500 plan in which downloading is free for 2-8 am .
so i was thinking of scheduling the download (i use autopoweron & shut down) and put my p.c on hibernate.
so it will power on everyday at night 2.10am download stuff(i use utorrent with the scheduler option) and then hibernate again at 7.45am.
then it will remain in hibernate state from 7.45am in the morning to 2.10am in the night and then power on and continue and so on.
my parents will be at home so they can turn off the modem in the morning and switch it on at night before they go to sleep.(they are not very computer savvy but they can atleast do that). this is just to be on the safe side so that nothing is charged during the day when the p.c is in hibernat mode.
because 2 days ago i noticed that bsnl counts some kb's even if ur p.c is shutdown and the modem is on.although it is only 1-1 kb's but still i don't want to take chance.
so i think it is pretty much possible to do this.but i have some doubts,hope u people can clear them.
assuming the electricity never goes-:

1. is it ok to do this .i mean doing it for 3 continuous days.

2. do i need to have some empty disk space for this because i have noticed ever since i have started hibernating my p.c i have lost some disk space in c drive, the hiberfil.sys file is taking 1782.8 mb.so if i hibernate for longer period will it take more disk space???

3. any other precaution u want to suggest..

iNFiNiTE

The cake is a lie!!!
No its fine to hibernate the pc dont worry abt that. The hibernate file size is equal to ur RAM size and will remain same unless u increase ur sys RAM. As for hibernating there is no harm in doing as i always hibernate my pc and use the shutdown or restart only if there is a requirement.

Though keep in mind that if there is a power failure during the time ur pc is ON in the night then ur download will stop as the system wont boot again automatically since it will be no longer in hibernate mode, so u may as well tell ur parents not to switch on the modem the next day if there is a power failure. Also dont forget to ask them not to power off the pc from the elec switch.

OP
tango_cash

tango_cash

In the zone
thanks for ur help.i will keep that in mind.
but suppose if the light goes during the day time when my p.c is in hibernate mode.then will my p.c remain in hibernate mode when the light comes back????

iNFiNiTE

The cake is a lie!!!
Well checking the scheduled hibernate and power on options with "Auto Power-on & Shutdown" I can say that though the schedule process works fine if uninterrupted , my sys didnt powered on automatically when i switched off the power off after hibernating (to simulate the power failure) and turned it ON again to wait for the sys to power-on which never happened.

I would suggest you to test the software urself and see whether it works for you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom