Is it a Virus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sujit.pawar

Broken In
I have been getting a wierd problem...Whenever i plug in my pen drive and right click,in the context menu i have been getting wierd symbols instead of the usual "open" and "open with".

Also,after using my the pend drive first time in my new system,whenever i start my system,My Documents also starts up though there is no such entry in msconfig..This is very annoying.Please help me fix this up asap.

Shasanka_Gogoi

In the zone
U might be infected. NOT SURE though. Check ur pen drive on a friends PC (if he allows u to risk it). Ur PC might be infected insted by now.

Only way to find out is to scan. So update ur virus defs and do a full thorough scan in safe mode.

OP
S

sujit.pawar

Broken In
i scanned with AVG 7.5 with latest updates.its saying explorer.exe in pen drive is infected with Trojan Generic.F and deletes it.The problem is there is (was) no such file in the pen drive!!!!
Both of my problems persist..

kirangp

The joy Of Wow
I think you should use SPYBOT 1.4 with latest updates & scan the system along with your antivirus...Even if AVG has spyware removal tool I recommend you to use Spybot...It removes every spyware

mayanks_098

world is evil
i had xactly the same prob two days ago...
my kaspersky internet security 6 with latest updates was unable to detect nethng.
also wen i used to click on my pen drive,explorer.exe used to open.

i seeked help bt to no avail.
in the end i had to format the drive...
im afraid ull hv to do the same...
n if wth ne av u find a sol do post here. im interestd in knowng wch av can detect wen kis can not...

OP
S

sujit.pawar

Broken In
Update from my side..I formatted my windows drive and reinstalled XP.The problem was solved.
Then i applied SP2 and the problem of pendrive reappeared!!!Only,this time,i could open the contents by double clicking.Whenevr i right clicked,the same symbols appeared instead of open and open with.
So,i have managed to eliminate one problem,though by using brute force.Second one still persists...
Question still open!!!!!

abhijangda

Padawan
Your sp2 setup file may be infected try downloading it from microsoft web site or get it from Digit June 2005 dvd or March 2007 dvd. It may solve your problem also scan your windows xp setup files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom