*** Is is possible to run AMD Sempron on Nforce Board ***

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoBo

Broken In
Hello!

Actually I was planning to upgrade my Celeron 1Ghz/i810/128MB. My budget is limited(I have saved some money out of my pocketmoney!).

After reading a few articles, I settled for Sempron 2400+ which is a good combination of Price and Performance. And planning to buy 256 MB Ram so i could run WinXp without any crashes. But i am confused which board is to choose.

In Nasik, only the board based on VIA chipset are available, and the SiS chipset Board (Which costs almost double!) has to be ordered specially and both do not possess performance. Whereas, the Nforce board is more powerful and has onboard GeForce4 graphics core and is affordable. So, is it possible to use it for Sempron? it has Socket A, so i think its possible to use it for Sempron, but i'm not sure about.

Please guide me about it, and i have one more question.

I have heard that the onboard graphics on VIA board have conflicts(regarding Video Overlay) with TV tuner Cards, so it is not possible to record any videos from it. IS IT TRUE? I AM NOT PLANNING TO BUY ANY GRAPHIC CARD.

and are the graphics on SiS motherboard better than my existing 810 onboard Graphics

Please tell me about it.

Thank You.

LoBo.

P.S. DO NOT TELL ME ANY FOOLISH Decision ABOUT BUYING THOSE 3Ghz PROCESSORS, GBs OF RAM, AND THOSE HIGH END 'PLATINUMS AND DELUXE' MOTHERBOARDS.

and yes, my english is a bit poor, so dont trace out any grammatical/spelling mistakes.

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
hey dude. Welcome to the forum. To simply answer your quesiton Sempron does come in two flavours both for the socket A and the socket 754 (I think not too sure about this). This is precisely the reason as to why the Athlon series is being phased out.

Nforce boards are always better. Since you arent going in for a graphics card I would suggest going in for the nforce board.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
You can use a Sempron 2400+ on a socket A motherboard, though the high-end Semprons are made in socket 754. There are certain things you have to keep in mind while choosing a socket A mobo for a Sempron -

1. You need nForce 2 to run a Sempron at the correct FSB speed of 333 MHz (166x2). The older nForce chipset can manage only upto 266MHz.

2. nForce 2 mobos will run at FSB 333, but earlier versions will not correctly identify a Sempron. A Sempron 2400+ will be shown as either an Athlon XP 2000+ or Athlon XP 1667 MHz. They will run the CPU at the correct speed and there is no loss of performance. So this is mainly a cosmetic problem and can be corrected with a BIOS flash, and later BIOS revisions will identify Semprons properly.

3. All major manufacturers make nForce 2 motherboards. Examples are -
Asus A7N8X-VM
MSI K7N2GM-V
Krypton C18G-400

The last one is actually a Biostar M7NCG-400 sold under Priya's brand name 'Krypton'. It's cheaper than the other two but performs very well, and has better features in many respects.

The C18G-400 with a Sempron 2400+ is a very good combination for those with a limited budget. Graphics performance is reasonable and most games can be played smoothly at low settings. But a few games cannot be played at all because the MX chip lacks the T&L function needed for such games as Splinter Cell, but such games are few.

VIA chipsets are also generally very good, but their integrated graphics don't come even close to the nForce 2 IGP. SiS chipsets are generally considered to be poorer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom