is hibernating alright?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbonez

NP : Crysis
I have a compaq presario V2000 laptop. hibernating the lappy is obviously faster than shuttng it down. even gettin it up is much faster., what if i never shutdown my lappy and always just hibernate it? is it alright or is it harmful for the sys?

Ron

||uLtiMaTE WinNER||
Hey buddy.............
it depends upon ur ram.......................
Suggestion : Not to Hibernate ur PC............as Hibenate mks ur PC fast for first few Days.........but as the time goes ......It slows the Pc......................
Instead of Hibernating...............Get greater Ram....So that ur Pc Shuts down Faster as well as open................................
You can try different Tips and tricks................so that ur PC speed increases

satyamy

Alive Again...
hibernating is good & better
just shutdown & restart your lap once a week
this will remove temp files
reset do hibernate............

shaunak

Tux Fan
Hibernating is perfectly allright. Infact it is recomended over "sleep" as it consumes less power.

Hibernate simply saves whatever data is on the ram onto you HDD. The slowing down after periodic use could be due to excess defaragmentation of your drive or temp file build up which can be cleaned using disk cleanup.

hibernating gives you an instant shutdown [in vista, forgot if it does the same in Xp] and the startup times are the same as regular startups.

Do note [obiously] all ongoing downloads will be suspended and WMP will go back to the 1st song on its list on startup.

And you do not need to upgrade your RAM at the drop of a hat.

OP
xbonez

xbonez

NP : Crysis
so if i switch off my pc once in two days or so and hibernate it rest of the times, its perfectly alright? that's pretty cool. it's so much more convenient

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
I hibernate my PC in the day time, but shut it down when going to sleep. Best thing to do.

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
Hibernate without problems.. Its perfectly safe to do it.. Restart only when you install\uninstall programs and they want you to restart.... No need to shutdown.......

@Ron...
I dont get how hibernating makes your PC slow?? Can you elaborate with some technical details..... I dont think it does...

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
Sometimes hibernation slows the PC only when you are working with heavy apps. or games.

e.g. if i'm playing NFS MW (on 512MB RAM pc), after resuming from hibernation (game's not exited, just minimized), the game runs DAMN SLOW, with horrible frame rate issue., the game returns to normal speed after i restart it. (not pc), & sometimes the RAM gets full becoz of a app. (Opera, IE) or faulty app., so to recover the normal PC speed, you got to restart the pc.

Yes hibernating is all right.

But shutdown and startup at least once a week to clear temp files, registry, etc, caches, which can eventually slow down your laptop.

Ron

||uLtiMaTE WinNER||
hey............buddy hibernating slows down the PC..........in very small amount...........I am observing these days.........as ..I found out the slow speed of my pc was actually due to the Norton Antivirus....................Sorry for wrong info.......as it has not been a much time............... spendin my tim in front of pc..............as .Probably i am working with my PC since i join this forum.........

mahendraraut

Broken In
hibernating is quite good. but if anytime u found that the pc is slow down that time only restart ur machine once so that pagefile can be cleaned..

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
I always use Hibernation in my Laptop. Its quite good and doesnt slow down the system. Yeah, restarting once in a week is a good option. :)

knight17

In the zone
Me too belive that Hibernating your computer doesn't causes any problem, it may take up a little bit space save the memory dumps though.

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
if you browse daily, then i think to FREE up RAM, you HAVE to restart/shut-down the PC daily.

coz whenever i use Opera, it shoots the RAM usage to 90+MB (with 6 tabs tabs open), & this RAM is not recovered after closing Opera. so only option for me is to shut-down the PC every night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom