Is hard disk eating the capacity or the operating system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi think heads,
i have a problem with my hard disk and it is showinr wrong disk space used than the actual.i belive that it is the problem of the operating sytem which is the XP.Now, can any one of u can solve my problem. :cry: :oops: :x :(

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
what exactly is the problem ? Could you please give more information ? As in your HDD if it is a 40gb or 80gb and so on.

First of all, if its 80 GB and if XP is showing is as 76 GB then that is correct. For remem 1MB is actually 1024KB and so do the Math its around 76 GB.

Second, If you space is shown low on your primary paritition then it is because of the OS related files which are protected and hidden from users. You can enable this to be seen if you goto folder options from Explorer menu. There will be a check box which says hide protected operating system files. Uncheck it (it is perfectly safe to do so just make sure u dont delete it!!!) and you will see more files on your primary partition. These are the swap files used by Windows XP to manage your memory. That is why it is showing you different free spaces.

If you are facing other issues than the ones mentioned then let us know a more detailed explaination plz!

OP
S

Santosh Halemani

Journeyman
is harddisk eating the cpacity or the operating system?

hi icecoolz,
here we go,i have xp as os and 40gb hd ,256mb ram and the partion is about 20gb.the partion is short of 6gb.i have used around 10gb,showing 17gb.ok these were the details.

Now,i think the problem exists with the .vob files .i.e,the DVD files.i have loded and deleted many DVD files on this ill fated partion around 6 to 7 DVD disk of capacity 7.5gb.i tell u something that will show us the way to solve this problem.i had 1.5gb DVD movie and when i deleted the file the,1.gb was not added to this partion.i got it only when i deleted it completly from norton protected recycle bin.
And before i did this, i had completely formated the partion and i cold still see 7gb of the space used in the partion.when i hooked up my hd in my friends pc i saw a .VOB file!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! which could not be deleted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

_timbuktoo

Broken In
I had the same problem a few weeks back - I tried everything to solve it - running all sorts of antivirus scanners/spyware scanners/disk scanners/defragmenters ... to no avail...

Just as I was about to give up all hope - I found out the problem was due to Norton protected recycle bin - it simply didn't let the files be deleted even though they were no longer visible .

Disable the "norton protected recycle bin" on all drives to solve your problem .

p.s. : You can leave it on if u wish to - the files get deleted automatically from the norton protected recycle bin when the free space is required and no more free space is available on the hard disk

OP
S

Santosh Halemani

Journeyman
hi icecoolz and timbuktoo
here is the big blow to all of us!!!!1.my hard disk has 6gb bad sectors.and this all happened to know when i installed partion magic.the xp also showed the bad sectors.my dealer is going to get hd replaced or repaired.
ok,with this we end the topic.thank u all for help and i will come up with a new topic ,surely not this type of unknowledged problems.
THANK BOTH OF U :p :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom