Is firewire faster than USB 2.0?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
I have a usb 2.0 portable hdd but lately I had to copy 30-40 gb data & found that it takes good amount of time doing that, its faster but I am wondering if firewire would have done that faster than usb 2.0

I found a firewire casing (Interface: USB 2.0/ firewire COMBO) here in nehru place & I can swap the case keeping the same seagate 80gb hdd.

*www.svbinternational.com/big_images/25_Combo_Casing_357a_2.5extcombocasing-dec,2006.jpg
I am thinking if firewire is faster than I buy this casing though its quite expensive than the usb casing......................so is it worth at 1200/- for firewire?

*www.svbinternational.com/external_casings/25_combo_casing_ieee_1394_usb_20.htm

Last edited:

goobimama

 Macboy
Well technically Firewire400 (400mbps) is slower than USB2.0 (480mbps). But in the real world tests, Firewire seems to hold its own for raw speed. The difference is in the architecture so a FW drive will have a better sustained write/read speed, sometimes even 70% faster than USB2.0. And then there's Firewire800 (800mbps) which is used in high end stuff, not very commonplace (The Western Digital Pro drives come with FW800)

Not sure if its worth the extra 1200 bucks for firewire, especially since its such a low capacity hard drive...

Last edited:

shashank4u

Youngling
go for usb 2.0 ...if u got ample money then go for firewire..simple
AFAIK usb 2.0 provides gud speeds inlarge transfers.

OP
R

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
shashank4u said:
go for usb 2.0 ...if u got ample money then go for firewire..simple
AFAIK usb 2.0 provides gud speeds inlarge transfers.

I dont know how much is ample money, but from experience I have learnt that "mehanga roe ek bar , sasta roe bar bar":cry::cry::cry:

So lets say I transfer 2000Gb in 1 year & save 30% of time using firewire then u can see Rs.1200 should not matter any one bcoz the time saving is huge.

Any idea when is that "sometimes 70% faster" that will be a huge time saving.

Where as USB 2.0 uses a "Master-Slave" architecture

Tests have shown that Firewire is much faster than USB 2.0 in both file read and write tests.
Sam reading ur post now I am convinced that I surly would see speed difference if I use firewire.

Any other things to consider before I go the firewire/usb 2.0 combo route?

Last edited:

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Please answer three questions:
1. Does you computer have FireWire ports?
2. What is the price of the hard drive?
3. Does it have FireWire 400, 800 or both?

If it has FireWire 800 or both, it is definitely worth it to invest the extra twelve hundred bucks. I have done real world tests. Transferring seventy gigabytes using FireWire 800 took twenty-five minutes and it took one hour and twenty minutes on USB 2.0. FireWire 800 is REALLY fast.

And if you want good a good FireWire drives, the best company is LaCie. They make awesome drives. I have a 250 GB external drive from LaCie which has all the interfaces - one USB 2.0 port, one FireWire 400 and two FireWire 800 ports. Guess which one I use. :)

OP
R

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
sam9s said:
if an external HDD would be used more for data portibility then you might consider going USB way coz as I said not evey computer you would share data with would be having an IEEE conn. So you can sacrifice speed for better portability, but if is like to keep a backup or using it with any laptop while you are on the move, go firewire way. coz in that case slow speed would probably pinch.
Mosty Its used for transfering data from 1 location to another or 1 desktop on the move......................yes desktop not laptop.............using mojopac.

I am reviewing Mojopac trial version, which allows u to install ur softwares on a portable hdd & then it can be connected either to desktop or a laptop or any internet cafe having usb /firewire connection.
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50349

2. What is the price of the hard drive?
I am not buying a hard drive I already have this one is just a casing to fit any portable hdd.

3. Does it have FireWire 400, 800 or both?
I was not aware of 400/800 so now I need to check this feature too.

Last edited:

goobimama

 Macboy
Sad...my iMac has only FW400 ports.... Will be getting a Western Digital My Book Premium 250GB for the purpose...

rakeshishere

HELP AND SUPPORT
Chk these links out!

*www.usb-ware.com/firewire-vs-usb.htm

*www.digit-life.com/articles/usb20vsfirewire/

*www.cwol.com/firewire/firewire-vs-usb.htm

OP
R

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
Yes one can carry their desktop pc in a usb drive/mobile phone/ ipod/and many other things to come where size will increase & so will the interface speed.

Last few days using mojopac has changed my way of working, now atleast I dont waste time copying data to & fro from my main pc. You should try it & post ur comments in that review I posted.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
I am slightly confused here. How can a casing make your existing hard drive's transfer rate faster? Is that possible?

Sorry if that sounds like a stupid question! :oops:

OP
R

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
aryayush said:
I am slightly confused here. How can a casing make your existing hard drive's transfer rate faster? Is that possible?

Sorry if that sounds like a stupid question! :oops:

No its not realy a stupid question.

The casing provides an interface usb /firewire, now in both the case I am going to use same 7200 rpm hdd, but the interface will use different archeciture as explained by sam9s in ealier post.
So using firewire interface will speed up the transfer rate.

Last edited:

goobimama

 Macboy
An internal HDD over a SATA/PATA interface will be anyday faster than either of the formats (FW or USB), but its the external factor that we're talking about. Unless one has got an eSATA port along with a SATA harddrive, FireWire is the way to go...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom