Is Dada's days really over in ODI's? (tribute from a true Ganguly fan)

Will Sourav be recalled to the ODI side?

• Yes

Votes: 13 37.1%
  • No

Votes: 17 48.6%
  • Can't say

Votes: 5 14.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

abhijit_reddevil

Manchester United
Looking at the title, please don't say-Oh no!!! Not another Ganguly thread...

With the young side winning the ODI tri-series in Australia recently and winning the 20-20 world cup as well in 2007, are the days of one of the Indian ODI legends, Saurav Ganguly, really over?

It's a different reason altogether that the team management and BCCI found non-cricketing reasons to leave him out of the ODI side, in spite of excellent ODI and test forms and being one of the highest scorers in both ODI's and tests in 2007.:(:mad:

I hate to say this, but unless something dramatic happens (like selection committee change or captain getting sacked, etc), Sourav may not regain his place in the ODI side, ever again.:(:(. He has made one of the greatest comebacks and we salute him. Thank you for the memories.:) We will always remember you as a great fighter and one of the ODI game's true legends.:)

Career stats:

ODI's: 311
Runs: 11363
Batting avg: 41.02
100s/50s: 22/72
HS: 183
Balls bowled: 4561
Wickets: 100
Bowling avg: 38.49
5 Wkts (inngs): 2
BB: 5/16
Catches/stumpings: 100/0

I think the stats are up to Dec 31 2007. I got them from Wikipedia. I am not providing the test status as I think he will still be in the test side.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
First of all, no young opening batsman in our team is capable of having 40+ career average. Ganguly has 41 even after 300+ matches and Sachin has 44 even after 400+ matches.

I don't know why there is all the fuss about Dhoni. He isn't technically that sound. He just slogs IMHO......

ancientrites

In the zone
sure ganguly gonna comeback.Remember he is the next best captain after kapil dev who drove us for 2003 world cup final.I dont know Bcci has forgotten that moment.even after his comeback last year he played good cricket.Its just that bcci is looking for future team india.
I really enjoyed when india crushed paki in the world cup 2003 chasing 276 .Even in final we were maintianing the runrate but unfortunate we lost the momentum beside nothing is impossible.I am one of the true fan of DADA.he may not be as great as tendulkar by records but in captaincy he dominates team india.

rajesh_nk22

Journeyman
Ganguly was the best Captain of India, no doubt in that, and himself a good cricketer too. I admire the way he challenged himself to get back in Indian team after he was dropped. That shows how he handles challenges.
I wished he played few more games, but one thing we have to keep in mind, everything has selflife, we cant expect same knocks from him all the time, if this happend then we will never see any new face in indian team.
We have to give chance to our younger cricketers, let them also grow ..

ThinkFree

Technomancer
I don't know why there is all the fuss about Dhoni. He isn't technically that sound. He just slogs IMHO......

Didn't you watch the Dhoni playing in the CBtri series. In the match against SriLanka, he scored 88 of 95 ball(an uncharacterstic knock), in other match he scored 50 without even a single boundary. And you are saying he can just slog. Earlier he wanted to end every match with a six but know he has changed a lot and is understanding the value of his wicket

Rahim

Married!
There is no doubt about Ganguly's Greatness. Dare I say he won us more big matches than Sachin!!! Everybody knows that. With the team beginning to gell I see no light of a comeback in the One-Day team.
There is so many politics in BCCI, that is the main reason why Sourav is out of the team despite having done a roaring comeback. On hindsight it is good when you retire when you are at the top.

ThinkFree

Technomancer
^^Didn't read the newspaper today. Ganguly scored just 1 run against South Zone in Deodhar trophy. If Ganguly deserves to get back in side, Dravid should come first who scored 139 in the same match

Rahim

Married!
Just dream asnvin. He wasnt kicked out of the team for not performing. Its shameful politics and to make it rosy they say its bcoz they want to make young indian team.
None of the 2 can make a comback in the ODI squad.

ThinkFree

Technomancer
Only those who perform should be finding a place in the team. Ganguly used to open the innings and got the maximum benefit of powerplay overs but in recent times his strike hardly crossed 75. So why should he be there in the team.

Rahim

Married!
Then why Sehwag, Karthik, Uthappa are in the team. Have they made any real scores? Dehwag was given a whole year to perform and when dropped , promptly came back to the team without making any decent scores in the domestic matches.
I dont want to turn this Testimonial Thread to an argumentative fight. So just drop it between us .
The only problem i have with BCCI is they dont use the same yardsick for everyone.

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
@asnvin-dravid over past year has been an awesum ranji player..scored couple of double tons and then a century in the deodhar trophy...

but look at his averages in odi s over the past year...and neway..thinking logically dravid has no chance of making it into the team coz the middle order is batting very well..theres a slot open for an opener...so..its gone for dravid as i see it...

dada will i believe will make it count..hes a player for big occasions..he will rock...

Ankur Gupta

Wandering in time...
But I think it will be very hard for him to make a comeback as there are loads of youngsters in the team who are playing well now.
Unless India has a drastic failure in a One-day tour, I don't think there is any chance of him making a comeback.

It would have been great to see him goodbye on a good note though.

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
great going dada..

When the going gets tough,the tough gets going

he kicked SA's arses with a strike rate of 73 in a pitch where almost the whole team was in dirte straits..if u can keep such a player out of odis..really nothing to say..and yea..his fielding has greatly improved...

dravid as a matter of fact should be held by the collar and shown his stats for the past two years..

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Didn't you watch the Dhoni playing in the CBtri series. In the match against SriLanka, he scored 88 of 95 ball(an uncharacterstic knock), in other match he scored 50 without even a single boundary. And you are saying he can just slog. Earlier he wanted to end every match with a six but know he has changed a lot and is understanding the value of his wicket
So, you think scoring a boundary-less fifty is good??...:lol:

In the test series vs. Australia, he had no average above 20 still he was selected and Ganguly not. (though he performed good in the Tri series)

Yuvraj had no average above 5 and still he was selected for the Tri series.....

Why does Dhoni has a 30~ average in Tests??

If those BCCI guys just want to select players according to their performance, then this also applies for young players. Not only for senior players like Sachin, Ganguly and Dravid.

And yes, I want to see Ganguly getting a hundred in ODIs. It has been a few years since he scored a hundred in ODIs, though his 2007 record was excellent. And yes, scoring hundreds don't determine the quality of a player.........

ancientrites

In the zone
i dont care if saurav had scored duck ongoing test series.he is my alltime favourite and today he played superbly.I blame KIRAN MOORE that mother***** i hope he dies on airplane crash or something should happen to him.
ALL HAILS DADA

ThinkFree

Technomancer
So, you think scoring a boundary-less fifty is good??...:lol:

If the situation demands a batsman to just stay at the wicket and its more important than scoring quick runs is not that important than even a century without a boundary would be better than scoring 30-40 runs comprising 4-5 boundaries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom