Is AMD 64 2800+ obsolete now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

uppalpankaj

Ambassador of Buzz
Dear Friends,
I am planning to buy a new PC. My hardware vendor offered me AMD 64 2800+ with Asus MOBO. But I am really confused and dunno whether to go for it or not.

Will it be a wise decision 2 go for this processor or shud i go 4 some other AMD proc+MOBO combo? Do AMD procs have heating problem? And has AMD 64 2800+ become obsolete now? Can u all suggest me in this regard.

Pankaj

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
Most of your questions cannot be answered with a simple yes or no.

The A64 2800+ is the slowest Athlon 64 processor available and comes in Socket 754, but that does not mean that it's obsolete. It depends on what you're going to use it for, on the size of your wallet, and when you think you'll be able to upgrade again.

If you have a limited budget, the 2800+ is powerful enough for most computing needs. If you have a generous budget and like to have top-grade processing muscle, then go for a socket 939 CPU above 3000+.

It is very likely that socket 754 will be phased out in the not-too-distant future. But that does not mean that it will become useless. By the time a well-balanced A64 2800+ config becomes really obsolete, even a currently top-notch system based on an S939 CPU will be crying out for a major upgrade.

Perhaps the biggest factor involved here is that PCI-Express graphics is not available for Socket 754, and an S754 motherboard will not be able to use the new-generation graphics cards.

In terms of computer development, it was a long time ago that AMD processors had heating problems. Current processors run very cool.

Regarding the mobo, it depends on which model was suggested to you and what features you need.

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
i don't know why ppl think that if new processors come up... the oldies will become obsolete.... i mean i had a p111 600 mhz till not too long ago... it worked perfectly.... i guess even today, any home user with the exception of gamers does not require anything more than a 1 ghz processor....

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
Very true, mail2and. A couple of months ago, I upgraded a friend's 1.1GHz P3 on an 815e motherboard by putting in a Radeon 9200 graphics card and 128MB RAM in addition to his existing 128MB. Although a 9200 is low-end by today's standards, his computer still blazes ahead most of his friends' P4's in gaming.

Modern CPUs are so fast that almost any of them are fast enough for all but the most demanding CPU-intensive applications. The average user won't notice much difference between, say, a 2800+ and a 3500+.

navneeth_snr

Journeyman
If you are not intrested in gaming, then u can go for this. I brought about 2-3 weeks ago. 1.8 Ghz works like a super speed and it almost equals 2.8 Ghz Pentium 4 (32bit).

Also old systems doesn't get obsolete! I have Pentium III 550 Mhz with 192 MB Ram. Its working superb, runs all os win95/98/me/2000/xp with good speed. I am now willing to sell my old golden system.

We should remember that every thing (even our age and skills) will become change time to time.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
"Hardware is only as old as the software it runs. " Something I found off A linux website... Im still happy with my Intel Celeron 566 with 64 mb Ram ( PS I only use it to browse the net once in a while although I do have an Amd 64 2800 system which I use for my other work. Im pretty sure the 64 bit processors are going to be here for a while ( hopefully ....... ) :D

goobimama

 Macboy
talk about pentium IIIs and Celerons, my dads office still uses two Pentium 100 Mhz and two 486 systems. Running DOS and wordstar as the word processor. No problems at all. Compared to windows based systems where at least once a month the system crashes due to viruses, adware and whatnot (stupid staff).

eckswyezed

Broken In
Heck, no!

The 2800+ is going to stick around for some time! Its a very good processor and ideal for the rookie who wants to get his feet wet i 64-bit computing (raises hand!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom