Is 80GB HDD Supported By P-3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiteshbhimani

Broken In
Hi Friends,
I want to know whether 80GB HDD is supported by Intel Pentium 3.
My PC configuration is::

Intel Pentium 3
810e Motherboard
256MB SD RAM
501 MHz

As, some dealers are telling to go for 40GB as 80GB is not supported. Moreover, i tried the 80GB one on my friend's PC, we have same configuration but he got 1GHz.

Also please tell me which HDD is good among Seagate, Hitachi?

Prices: 80GB Seagate - Rs.2400
80GB Hitachi - Rs 2450

40GB Seagate - Rs. 2300

sakumar79

Technomancer
i think ur dealers are misleading u. You wont have problem with 80 GB HDs. The following is excerpt from
*www.dewassoc.com/kbase/hard_drives/hard_drive_size_barriers.htm showing that u can even install 160 GB hds.

In order for you system to recognize more than 137 GB you will need to utilize one of the following recommended solutions:
If you have a motherboard that has a Intel chipset (810, 810E, 810E2, 815, 815, 815E, 815EP, 815P, 820, 820E, 830M, 830MP, 830MG, 840, 845, 850, or 860) please visit Intel's web site and download the Intel Application Accelerator. Intel's Application Accelerator supports the full capacity of drives larger than 137 GB.
If you do not have a motherboard that has a Intel chipset then it is recommended that you purchase an Ultra ATA 133 PCI card that supports 48 bit Logical Block Addressing (LBA). You can purchase the Maxtor Ultra ATA 133 PCI Card, which supports drives that are larger than 137 GB, directly from us or your local distributor.

Regarding Seagate/Hitachi, I have used Seagate quite frequently and they work quite fine. In fact, in my dad's office, we have old Seagate HDs about 10 years old still running. Be sure to check out warranty and availability of service (in case u have a problem) in your locality before u finalize.

Hope that helps,
Arun

kato

Karthiksn
man my is a p-3 550 mhz with 40GB and i m sure of it as my frnd had same config and istalled an 80 GB HDD. Maybe the dealer u r going to is not having 80 GB HDD so wants u to buy 40 GB instead but ot be sure check other dealers also but i m sure ur dealer is wrong

alib_i

Cyborg Agent
my friend has p3 866MHz 128MB ram with 160GB harddisk
it has nothing to do with clock frequency of processor.
but you motherboard must support it.

-----
alibi

gauravakaasid

Back to l33ching :)
got da above info, but wats da diff. bitwin intel chipset & intel mobo?i got a mercury 810e mobo,is it same as intel chipset?

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
I have a PIII and a 40 GB and a 80 Gb drive .. Often my friends come and plug their hard disk to my system .. No problem whatsoever ..

kato

Karthiksn
u got a 180e mobo that means ur using intel 180e chipset (i guess) coz i use the same but its a compaq

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom