Irritating Norton Alert

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
Hey guys,

Whenever i try to diable my NAV adn NIS 2005 so as to play any games (offline on my PC), i keep getting this pop window every 15 Seconds in b/w the game so please tell me how to get rid of this. How can i disable this alert. Here is the screeny:

*images1.pictiger.com/thumbs/f7/c1571863a95608d72548cba23e8a38f7.th.jpg

Due to this i cannot play any of my games as this pop up keeps cuming back no matter if i check ur uncheck the option on that window. Please help.

Cheers n e-peace....

ilugd

Beware of the innocent
why do you need to disable the antivirus? Which game is that?

If you really don't want the antivirus, try exiting it instead of disabling.

Last edited:
OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
@ ilugd, pathiks
1.) Well, there are 3 options (in the taskbar) for NAV and NIS wich are:Open NAV, Disable Auto Protect and NAV Options. So how to exit the AV (Antivirus program) ?

2.) Also, previously i used to disable both the Norton AntiVirus (NAV) and the Norton Internet Security (NIS), but this irritating pop-up has been active since the past 1 week i guess...

3.) I disable NAV, NIS also wallpaper for all my games so as to save that extra RAM being eaten up by these background programs and i can hv a slightly better and smoother game play, Isin't that a normal practice tat we all follow ??

@Paul, If i use the Windows Inbuilt firewall, wont it permanently disallow the NAV and NIS to even run properly (for future use too) ?

Awating replies...

Cheers n e-peace...

Last edited:

ilugd

Beware of the innocent
Never used norton.

OK, just went and checked on my colleague's sys. When you first disable, doesn't it ask you the period for which you want to disable? select the option 'until system restart'. Should do. Again, am not sure if the version is exactly same as yours but it is norton av 2005.

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
@ ilugd
Well the option wich u told me didint work but wat i did to solve my problem was to Reinstall NAV 2005 and this option is now working again and i dont get any pop-ups (well as of now im fre from it, dnt knw abt the future)

@Tech,
Bro i asked fora solution and NOT a replacement to NAV, BTW Avast wont provide me with an online and always ON Firewall so im happy to be with NAV.
I knw there is a war goin on b/w the best and the resource free antivirus s/w but none of them are perfect, sum one or the other has sum flaws in them.. so its a never ending battly, neways thanx for ur reply. .(i hv already used Avast AV for a year previously)...

Cheers n e-peace....

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
the best WAY to play games is, create a new account, then in that new account , go to desktop properties & in "themes" select "Windows Classic" (this saves some RAM), then goto to ==> Start->All Progs.-> Run->type "msconfig" (without quotes)->Start up tab-> Disable All-> Enter.

Now you'll have lots of RAM for Running the Games. & a separate acc. for gaming.

This way you dont have to disable anything, everytime you play. Just logon & Play.

Last edited:

Third Eye

gooby pls
ashu888ashu888 said:
@ ilugd
Well the option wich u told me didint work but wat i did to solve my problem was to Reinstall NAV 2005 and this option is now working again and i dont get any pop-ups (well as of now im fre from it, dnt knw abt the future)

@Tech,
Bro i asked fora solution and NOT a replacement to NAV, BTW Avast wont provide me with an online and always ON Firewall so im happy to be with NAV.
I knw there is a war goin on b/w the best and the resource free antivirus s/w but none of them are perfect, sum one or the other has sum flaws in them.. so its a never ending battly, neways thanx for ur reply. .(i hv already used Avast AV for a year previously)...

Cheers n e-peace....

As you like !

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
@ s18000rpm

Hey thats a good idea man, thanx a lot for the tip. BTW hv u tried it? does it really works? Will playing on the guest account do?? or will i hv to make a new account other than a Guest Account?

@ Tech

Hey bro, i didint mean to be harsh, Im sorry if u didint like it, but i was not harsh, i wrote it in a goodwill way..

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
@ashu888ashu888
why don't u end its process from the task manager instead(ctrl+alt+del:D). but be sure it is the process of nortan only otherwise u may have to restart ur pc.

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
@ashu888ashu888- The tip i gave u works fine, i always game this way.

Turn OFF the Guest Account(if u've it ON, its a total waste), & create a account yourself & disable the things.

Be sure not to open the Norton AV again, or it'll put itself in the start-up again. But u can scan individual folders by right clicking over it( this does not put norton on start up list).

WARNING : never access/read any data disk(CD/DVD)[which u r going to use on ur PC for the first time] or access Internet/LAN in the new game account.
You know why, b'coz there'll will be NO protection from VIRUSES, (ur AV turned OFF permanantly in that acc.). You can use ur other acc. for all these.

i dont suggest people an idea unless i've tried it myself.

@gary4gar you CANNOT end/kill the Nortons AV process ("ccapp") from TaskManager. It's one of Nortons Security feature.

Last edited:
OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
@ s18000rpm.

So u mean shud i be creating a Limited or a Computer Administrator account ?? I guess the Admin, Right ??? But wat i hv noticed is that if i disable the NORTON AV in my games (user defined) account, then the Norton in my other account also gets deactivated ??? (i hv kept all th eimages of the games in the shared documents folder).. please advice...

Cheers n e-peace....

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
You can keep wahtever type of acc., but i recomend Admin. Type Acc., coz you'll find it helpful when Installing Games in this acc.

The Norton Shouldn't get De-activated like this. Coz i've tried it & use it my self & i've not experienced something like this.
do one thing, enable the AV in non-gaming acc. & restart ur PC, then disable the AV in Gaming Acc. if it has got enabled.
Then again restart ur PC & check. do reply about it.

Why have you kept the image files in shared folder. Just create a folder in a drive (D:, E...) & keep'em there. this way its accessible from any acc., jus like shared folder.

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
@ s18000rpm

Hey bro, i created a new account named as "Gamin' Center" by goin in safe mode, in Administrator and creating this new account.

But again, wat i hv noticed is that if i disable the NORTON AntiVirus in "Gamin' Center" account, then the Norton in my other account "Anand" also gets deactivated when i logoff and check in the other account or even wen i restart and login to my other account named "Anand".

Y is so happening? My file system is FAT32 is it bcoz of this?

Cheers n e-peace.....

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
it could be because of the file system, I have NTFS on all partitions & haven't experienced that.

If you use/plan to use Windows 98, then ONLY keep FAT32, or just convert it to NTFS.

Why did you goto SAFE Mode to create the account, you can just go to "Control Panel->User Accouts->Create New Acc."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom