iPhone details uncovered in Sales Training Workbook

Status
Not open for further replies.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Found on Engadget

Well, just found these on Engadget, & boy :D does anyone needs more proof why iPhone sux & is going to be a failure as a mobile Phone/Device

Engadget said:
Here's some dirt that's sure to heat up the iPhone debates over the next 20 days. According to alleged scans from the "iPhone Sales Training Workbook," we're seeing a vast array of features that we were already fully aware of, but here's the skinny on what you may have not known until now:
  • No one-touch dialing (two touches at a minimum)
  • Vibrate mode is included
  • Voice dialing is not mentioned as a feature, though it's not specifically excluded either
  • Users can have a voice conversation whilst browsing the web "when WiFi access is available"
  • iPhone users will not be able to conduct IM conversations with instant messaging users
  • Emailing videos and pictures are a go, MMS is not supported
  • MEdia Mail won't be used for ringtone and answertone downloads
  • MEdia Net, MobiTV, and Cellular Video are (unsurprisingly) not available for the iPhone
  • iTunes will sync iPhone with the Address Book on Macs or Outlook/Outlook Expess on PCs
Of note, it seems that AT&T and / or Apple has conjured up a few canned, customer responses that point out the obvious shortcomings of Apple's handset, so do click on to see what you're up against.
Now, consider that we are using it in India with 2.5G & EDGE, so...35k for a mobile phone which only supports 2 MP Camera but does supports 4 GB HD & pleases some people's eyes.

Suppose it is unlocked here & we can use it with Hutch or Airtel, now you cannot send MMS, which is available to more users on there phone in india compared to E-Mail on there phone. Remember, a phone need not to support E-Mail facility to support MMS. But in case of iPhone it support E-Mail but no MMS, lolz..you call this a viable mobile phone.

Even on an old K500i I can install Opera Mini to open Yahoo Mobile Messenger or install Talkonaut or IM+ or....many more applications to chat with people via GPRS/EDGE. Well with a 35K iPhone you cannot.

The on screen keyboard is already creating worries

a 35K phone which doesn't provides GPS functionality either. Though we won't miss this in india. Just ask someone outside the car :D

One very good thing though finally. Using iTunes you can sync your iPhone to address book on Mac or Outlook on PC. We all know that outlook express is dead anyway. Long live Windows Contacts/Mail. However still no news of syncing with Exchange Server means it is not for enterprice. Well, it never was.

adithyagenius

I WANT MORE FPS!!
Maybe they will include vibration feedback for typing.

Anyways even if iPhone is inferior people will still buy it unless indian press says it sucks. If press says somthing sucks even if it doesnt people will blindly believe. There are misconceptions like AMD is 64bit processor whereas intel processors dont support it. AMD processors produce more heat than Pentium D etc etc. Its the indian newspaper and magazine reviews that will define the sales in india.

K

krazyfrog

MMS is actually dead. Since ages. No actually since bluetooth and infrared appeared in phones. People spending 35k don't care whether they can forward that silly midi file or a 15 sec clip to somebody by paying around 5 rupees for it (thats the cost of an mms in airtel mumbai) when they can easily send it for free via bluetooth. How many of up do use mms anyway. So the lack of mms doesn't seem like a big deal about iPhone. Neither does the rest of the features you mentioned.

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Umm...not in India. MMS never died. Here it takes Rs 3 for an MMS, now you tell me, why do we need MMS? Suppose I take a pic of a car & need to show it to my sister ASAP, I have to option.

1) Send an E-Mail to her from my phone or after copying to computer with this image attached & call/SMS her that "Sister check your mail". Then wait for her to reach a computer which she might not be close to or download the mail to her Phone which might or might not support E-Mail in device/carrier & then reply me back

2) Send this image as MMS with text written "how is this car".

Which method do u find quick, frog?

This is why MMS was invented. To even make small videos of things like a car crash or something ( to make MMS scandals :D) & send it instantly to someone to there phone.

MMS never died, it is just not popular in India while rest of the world uses it a lot. It is not popular in India due to lack of awareness & marketing from Airtel, Hutch BSNL, etc.

So lets see, this iPhone doesn't supports GPRS, GPS, UMTS, 3G, HSDPA, MMS, IM like Yahoo Messenger, Plethora of JAVA Apps, 3rd party application support*. I really wonder what makes this phone worth buying? You are better off buying an iPod video + Mobile Phone then this. If the only reason you are buying this phone is because of the UI then god help you.

* Third party application installation is supported by Apple only.

Last edited:
K

krazyfrog

^^ You're forgetting that in order to send an mms to someone they must have a gprs/mms enabled handset. Plus they must have gprs/mms enabled. Thats not likely to happen everytime.
Also second thing is that girls have no interest in cars, leave alone seeing their pics:D.

Pathik

Google Bot
gx_saurav said:
This is why MMS was invented. To even make small videos of things like a car crash or something ( to make MMS scandals :D) & send it instantly to someone to there phone.
Actually most of the mms scandals i ve seen hav been too big to be sent by MMS... :D
btw yea mms really sucked...
except wen hutch used to offer free mms to all numbers long time back...
Using a software called mms+ u could send any software or game to any friend... that rocked...

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
gx_saurav said:
The on screen keyboard is already creating worries
Says who?
Oh right, John Dvorak. Everyone knows who Dvorak is, right? That cranky old fool who has confessed on camera that he purposefully publishes incorrect information against Apple and their products to attract more traffic.
Quite a reliable source you have here. :rolleyes:

gx_saurav said:
35k for a mobile phone which only supports 2 MP Camera
Oh, I am sure that the camera is the least important feature of the iPhone. It is probably only there to take pictures of your contacts.

gx_saurav said:
Suppose it is unlocked here & we can use it with Hutch or Airtel, now you cannot send MMS, which is available to more users on there phone in india compared to E-Mail on there phone. Remember, a phone need not to support E-Mail facility to support MMS. But in case of iPhone it support E-Mail but no MMS, lolz..you call this a viable mobile phone.
When was the last time I sent an MMS? ... umm... never. When was the last time I received one? Again, never ever. WOW! They are really messing up by not supporting such a popular and incredible feature.
Though I think it wouldn't have hurt to support it and I am surprised that it is not included, Apple has always lead from the front when it comes to dropping support for outdated technologies and the industry, as a whole, has benefited from that. The reason USB is so popular and widespread today is that Apple dropped support for PS/2 ports from all their Macs before anyone else in the industry had the guts to do so. Same with the CD drive, which Apple adopted in place of the floppy drives.
However, having said that, I still do think that it wouldn't have hurt to have MMS on the iPhone. I, for one, would never use it, but I guess there are three people on Earth who do use MMS.

gx_saurav said:
Even on an old K500i I can install Opera Mini to open Yahoo Mobile Messenger or install Talkonaut or IM+ or....many more applications to chat with people via GPRS/EDGE. Well with a 35K iPhone you cannot.
One severe drawback with the iPhone. However, I do think that web messengers would be supported. I am sure that at least sites like meebo.com would work just fine on Safari in the iPhone.

gx_saurav said:
However still no news of syncing with Exchange Server
Steve Jobs announced on stage the day he launched the iPhone that it will sync with Microsoft Exchange Server. He also put up a slide mentioning that and I posted a screenshot of it on this forum too. You've mentioned this point fifteen times already and I would appreciate it if you stopped being so redundantly wrong.

gx_saurav said:
this iPhone doesn't supports GPRS
Does too.

gx_saurav said:
GPS, UMTS, 3G, HSDPA
Chaatega kya unko!

gx_saurav said:
Plethora of JAVA Apps
1. Show me proof that it does not support JAVA.
2. Even if it doesn't, it is actually a feature. I appreciate not having support for buggy applications that slow down the phone and have horrible interfaces.

gx_saurav said:
iPhone doesn't supports... 3rd party application support*
gx_saurav said:
Oh, I never knew Apple is a third party for the user of an Apple product. :lol:
Whether third party applications will be supported or not is a decision yet to be made. Even if it has been made, it is yet to be announced by Apple. You don't need to assume something just for the sake of your argument. Just hold your horses till June 29.

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Ah! Welcome arya, I thought after getting pwned & chiking out in that thread you will never come back to this forum again. :D

aryayush said:
Oh, I am sure that the camera is the least important feature of the iPhone. It is probably only there to take pictures of your contacts.
I m talking about India ok, so for 10k you get a phone with 2 MP Camera & for 35k you get a phone with....2 mp camera on which you cannot install you own applications, no JAVA, no IM, no high bandwidth...& then there is Nokia N95/N93i, boy just go & ask some sane guy who works & have proper job which he will chose. Do tell him "iPhone has one benefit, it looks cool. That it"

A Mobile phone camera is nothing compared to a dedicated digital camera, but you tell me, will any sane person spending 35k on a phone expect 2 MP Camera? For gods sake, that is available since 2005. It does comes in handy if you know how to use it. Just look in Mobile monster section for a thread regarding cam pics by members. It might not be of importance to you & your mentor, but there are millions of users who will thrash this comment of your cos they appreciate a converged device

When was the last time I sent an MMS? ... umm... never. When was the last time I received one? Again, never ever. WOW! They are really messing up by not supporting such a popular and incredible feature.
Well, i wasn't wrong when I said you don't use your phone to the max.
Though I think it wouldn't have hurt to support it and I am surprised that it is not included..............there are three people on Earth who do use MMS.
I recommend primary English classes
Me said:
1)Send an E-Mail to her from my phone or after copying to computer with this image attached & call/SMS her that "Sister check your mail". Then wait for her to reach a computer which she might not be close to or download the mail to her Phone which might or might not support E-Mail in device/carrier & then reply me back

2) Send this image as MMS with text written "how is this car".
The first one is the iPhone way.

One severe drawback with the iPhone. However, I do think that web messengers would be supported. I am sure that at least sites like meebo.com would work just fine on Safari in the iPhone.
What is not there by default is not a feature. I guess you will justify Apple charging for an iChat update for iPhone which only supports AIM & .mac saying "So, you wanted a chat feature, u have to pay. It doesn't matter if they are available for free on Windows Mobile or symbian, this is apple you have to pay"

Chaatega kya unko!
Full of frustration :D. It's a 35k phone. I expect features similar to a Nokia N93i or N95 to justify a purchase over iPhone....next. Not everyone is filthy rich. iPhone has cover flow etc, tell me something Chaatega kya unko! pure din?. I hope you don't end up using your iPhone as a PMP then a phone. Oh & don't forget to keep the charger in your scooty.

1. Show me proof that it does not support JAVA.
2. Even if it doesn't, it is actually a feature. I appreciate not having support for buggy applications that slow down the phone and have horrible interfaces.
Sure, look at iPhone specification page, last keynote address etc. No mention of JAVA anywhere. If it supported JAVA you think it is a feature to hide ? because of which apple is hiding it :p

Lolz...you old philosophy, if a feature is not in an Apple Product, that feature is irrelevant. :D. So, FM & voice recording i bad too cos it is not in iPod, who uses it right. Well, how can u use it if u don't have it :D.

Oh, I never knew Apple is a third party for the user of an Apple product. :lol:
Whether third party applications will be supported or not is a decision yet to be made. Even if it has been made, it is yet to be announced by Apple. You don't need to assume something just for the sake of your argument. Just hold your horses till June 29.
What did El Jobso said in D "We might support it, using our own methods" (simple English). This means a developer needs to take Apple's certification to launch an application for Mac. Well, that severely hampers the 3rd party application support. iPhone is about to be released & still there is no mention anywhere that Apple will be releasing an iPhone SDK

Last edited:

desai_amogh

In the zone
forget MMS .. even i have never used it.. but GPRS is a need.. i use airtel & i use GPRS all day long.. i get around 12 KBpS download speed .. which is just fine for me.. if iphone doesnt support GPRS it SUX...
& who says Java appz have horrible interfaces.. i have a huge collection of java games on my phone.. they r cool..

& 3G is not far away .. its gonna be a need..

Last edited:
OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
I guess the one saying JAVA apps sux, has never even used one on his Phone. JAVA Mobile is the backbone of Mobile Phone industry & it has limitless possibilities. If JAVA was supported, I think Jobs would have declared it by now

Last edited:

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
aryayush said:
Oh, I am sure that the camera is the least important feature of the iPhone.

hmmm.. no it is not. we are in an age where everything is converging. at least 3mp cam wud've been fine. but then its ok.

aryayush said:
When was the last time I sent an MMS? ... umm... never. When was the last time I received one? Again, never ever.

quite true. even i hardly use mms. but then in times of need it does come handy. since the phone supports gprs (i'm not sure, jus looked into aryaush's post), implementing mms at a later date wudn't be much of a problem.

aryayush said:
However, I do think that web messengers would be supported.

very important feature gone missing!

aryayush said:
Originally Posted by gx_saurav
GPS, UMTS, 3G, HSDPA

Chaatega kya unko!

filhaal 3g ko hum chaat hi sakte hain. but gps and 3g support should be there. coz at least in other countries 3g is prevalant and but the time iphone's available in india 3g "should've" made an entry!

aryayush said:
Even if it doesn't, it is actually a feature. I appreciate not having support for buggy applications that slow down the phone and have horrible interfaces

not true! java apps buggy? man.. this is the most useful feature of a phone! this is where a phone introduces flexibility to the user. hmm.. mebbe not all think so but in my case java support is one of the most imp. features of a phone!

eminemence

Journeyman
gx_saurav said:
In this case Apple seems to be following the usual path followed by Symbian ,MS and BREW.
That is to avoid malware to creep in,every developer would need to sign or certify their applications with Apple.Seems logical and stops harmful sw from reaching users.
As for the rest of the features,lets keep our fingers crossed till June 29th.
--eminemence.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
desai_amogh said:
if iphone doesnt support GPRS it SUX...
Some people often ask me why I indulge with the likes of gx_saurav and iMav. They suggest that I should just let them spew whatever misinformation they want to as no one bothers to listen to them anyway. Unfortunately, some people on this forum are not aware of the fact that gx_saurav is the most naive member of this forum and is consistently incorrect.

iPhone does not support GPRS!! WOW! How can you even hit the 'Submit' button when your posts contain utter rubbish? It is not surprising for me that a person who thinks that Mac OS X cannot save text files does not know that iPhone supports GPRS fully well, but I guess there are some users on this forum (like Mr. desai_amogh here) who are unfortunately unaware of the extremely high level of gx_saurav's all-encompassing knowledge.

Please spare yourself by not listening to him!

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Some people often ask me why I indulge with the likes of gx_saurav and iMav. They suggest that I should just let them spew whatever misinformation they want to as no one bothers to listen to them anyway. Unfortunately, some people on this forum are not aware of the fact that gx_saurav is the most naive member of this forum and is consistently incorrect.

Yes...personal comment cos you have nothing proper to speak of.

Hey, after WWDC last night something I would like to ask you for u to justify the purchase. pplications in iPhone are going to be webbased. Now iPhone is 2.5G , this means if you are connected to net & working on that web based application...no more phone calls for you. This problem was solved in 3G. And how many WiFi Hotspots are there arya?

You still call iPhone a viable purchase. Even loyal macboys on gizmodo or ars are not buying it.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Oh, Gizmodo and even Ars Technica are biased now! So, basically, any website/reviewer who speaks favourably about Macs is biased! That list would include mostly every professional technology writer on the planet. :lol:

Ha! Ha! Ars Technica is biased!!! :lol:

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
I never said ARS technica is baised, I guess u got some problem in readin. I said, even people at ARS technica are not keen to buy iPhone.

Even loyal macboys on gizmodo or ars are not buying it.

ambandla

Sup' dude, Sup'
eminemence said:
No SDK is really bad news.
Some C++ SDK is really needed,even if its at some price.
--eminemence.

@eminemence. Never ever rely on Gx's posts.

source: *www.webware.com/8301-1_109-9728298-2.html

1. Opening Safari to Windows is a great move for the development community. Windows developers can now test Web apps for Safari on Windows machines.

2. One of the iPhone's drawing points is that it runs a full browser (albeit one that won't support Java and possibly won't support Flash), and the iPhone hype machine promises an unparalleled browsing experience for a mobile device.

3. Because Safari is the application platform for the iPhone, Safari on Windows creates a much bigger pool of developers for the iPhone than releasing an SDK would. Making any site "iPhone-compatible" will be the hip thing to do, and developing for a touch-screen device could unleash some serious creativity.

4. Non-native apps also means that iPhone users won't need to download packages or install software. This could be a significant factor for a device that only has 4GB or 8GB of storage (and a lot of songs and videos competing for that space).

5. Web-based apps running on Safari creates no additional security issues for the iPhone. Your iPhone will be as secure as Safari is.

6. Because the apps are Web-based, they are cross-platform by nature. But if you run them on the iPhone, you get a little something extra: a touch-screen interface. During the keynote, VP of iPhone software Scott Forstall mentioned that Web apps will "know" they're running on an iPhone and act accordingly. Java's "write once, run anywhere" mantra may be perfected by the iPhone (ironically, a device that purportedly won't run Java).

eminemence

Journeyman
ambandla said:
@eminemence. Never ever rely on Gx's posts.

source: *www.webware.com/8301-1_109-9728298-2.html

1. Opening Safari to Windows is a great move for the development community. Windows developers can now test Web apps for Safari on Windows machines.
Well I have been reading around a bit,and I seriously doubt the capabilties that would be exposed to these over hyped so called creative web-apps.
See if I need to open my browser just to check some functionality provided by some third party app(and also connect to the network),then thats not happening.What if there is no network range in my area?Which brings us to the question,does iPhone have an offline/flight mode.
If you want serious battery savings then Offline/Flight mode is one of the best ways to do so.This would then help in leveraging the multimedia experience of the device.
If for every single things I end up surfing the web,then I would rather take an internet tablet rather than a phone.
2. One of the iPhone's drawing points is that it runs a full browser (albeit one that won't support Java and possibly won't support Flash), and the iPhone hype machine promises an unparalleled browsing experience for a mobile device.

No Java ,no flash....ummm will have to keep my fingers crossed about this one.

3. Because Safari is the application platform for the iPhone, Safari on Windows creates a much bigger pool of developers for the iPhone than releasing an SDK would. Making any site "iPhone-compatible" will be the hip thing to do, and developing for a touch-screen device could unleash some serious creativity.
Rather thinking from the app developer point of view,its just one more headache added to list of browsers to be supported.I would seriously doubt about the memory footprint of these apps when they want to do some "hip" stuff.I have seen AJAX working and after some time it really slows my pc,so I cannot really imagine what it's gonna do to iPhone.

4. Non-native apps also means that iPhone users won't need to download packages or install software. This could be a significant factor for a device that only has 4GB or 8GB of storage (and a lot of songs and videos competing for that space).
Wouldn't really call that saving of any kind.Again want to say that instead of saving a few MB's here and there if these guys can ensure battery savings then all this work,but with the present scenario of having webapps, i seriously doubt the battery life of this device.
I would be more than happy if I am proven wrong,coz then other phone makers would need to make more better batteries atleast.

5. Web-based apps running on Safari creates no additional security issues for the iPhone. Your iPhone will be as secure as Safari is.
Your as strong as your weakest link,lets hope Safari is not that weak link.

6. Because the apps are Web-based, they are cross-platform by nature. But if you run them on the iPhone, you get a little something extra: a touch-screen interface. During the keynote, VP of iPhone software Scott Forstall mentioned that Web apps will "know" they're running on an iPhone and act accordingly. Java's "write once, run anywhere" mantra may be perfected by the iPhone (ironically, a device that purportedly won't run Java).
More headache for the web app developer again,handle key,mouse,pointer,touch interfaces...next what telekinetic interfaces???

I just feel that having a native SDK, would add significantly to the market life of the device,once the wow factor has diminished.
--eminemence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom