Ip aliasing in win xp (networking guys .. look in )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
in Linux I can easly creat alias ie. virtual ethernet which can be added to LAN as if its separate physical NIC. ie. I can use single ethernet as multiple ethernet (NIC = Network interface card) .

Now I want to do same in windows. What I want that if I can create virtual NIC and it can be pingable to the LAN to which I am physically connected.
eg.
Lets say my LAN is 172.28.29.1 - 172.28.29.6 , now I want to do Ip aliasing on computer with addres 172.28.29.6 and want to add 172.28.29.7 on it. Note a.. 172.28.29.7 is not an actually NIC but virtual NIC created on 172.28.29.6 . So if anyone ping 172.28.29.7 from lan then he might get it as separate physical NIC.

In linux all above is possible but I donno how to do same in Windos, I hv to do that in winXP . I have tried to provide info as much as I can. So if any body has any idea , suggestion. Please let me know.

OP
Ricky

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
This is real insane about windows, I am combing all major search engines and still no clue that if windows can do ip aliasing . I can't believe that being a Well established OS , there is no clue about ip aliasing !
Real Insane ..

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
Hmm... You want to create a virtual NIC on your system ..? Not a big deal ..
Start > Control Panel > Add Hardware
-> Yes I have already connected the hardware -> Next
In the installed hardware list, go to the bottom, and select Add a new hardware device. Click on next.
In the next screen, select -> Install the hardware that I manually select from list (Advanced). Click on next.
Under the commond hardware types, select Network Adapters. Click on Next.
Under the manufacturer list, select Microsoft. and Under the Network adapter list, select Microsoft Loopback Adapter.
Click on next.
Now a virtual NIC will be added to your system. You can assign IP address to it manually.

OP
Ricky

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
it_waaznt_me said:
Hmm...
Now a virtual NIC will be added to your system.
You can assign IP address to it manually.

Oye.. Yeh kya ???
Loopback .. ! Man.. I kno this **** from long and this loopback adapter is there in dormant stage on my windos from one year ..

Man, I don't really need loopback adapter, It will be then seperate one from which I am physically connected to LAN. I need alias ie. a virtual adapter which sit on the back of a physical adapter and on LAN appears as if its a seperate physical adapter.
Now suggest me how would I make it visible on LAN ?
See this screen shot ::
*www.imagetor.com/out.php/i2158_networkconnectionsxp.png

Here connection (1) one is real LAN connection which is unplugged.
connection (2),(3),(4) are actually virtual adaptor created using a virtual adaptor driver found on net, its something similar to loopback one but has better and more advanced option.
connection (5) is WiFi connection and I need alias for it actually.
connection (6) for Bluetooth networking, I have disabled as its not needed.
connection (7) is loopback connection, its there from a year or so (disabled)

actually neither is working ie VLAN and Loopback bcause they are totally separate from physical NICs.

So I advice to reread my post and .. any further views and suggestion are heartly welcomed.

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
Hmmm... Thats what I was wondering while writing that post .. So in simple terms, you want to set multiple IP address to a single network interface.
If thats you wanna do, then try this :
Right click on the Lan Connection, (Say your Wifi connection here)
Click on Properties ..
Under the "This connection uses the following items" list, Scroll down to TCP IP, Click on Properties.
Click on Advanced.
Under the IP Address frame, Add as many as address you want.

I tested it and set 192.168.1.4 to 6 on a single virtual interface and pingin them works from my computer. I cant test it on a LAN cauz I dont have another computer ... Tell me if it worked.

Check this. Click on Original Size for a better view.

OP
Ricky

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
well, I am also familier with that but problem in that is that OS again see it as single adaptor, I often do this practice to check network availability of different pool.
Problem is that we cant treat it as seperate NIC ie. can't assign unique setting to each.

Anyways.. I will see if in windows I can forward request on that IP to a virtual nic and then direct OS to use that NIC instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom