Ip address

Status
Not open for further replies.

gramesh

Journeyman
Hi friends

In a LAN somebody defined IP address as for ex 193......../20, here waht is /20 can anyone please tell me?

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
i can't uderstand a word.pls express clearly.
the format of the typical ip address is 192.168.1.0

Nimda

l33t n00b!
Visit this page for details on the /xx notation. Here's an excerpt:

InterMapper uses a shorthand notation to represent an IP subnet's information. The number in the "/xx" shorthand stands for the number of bits (technically, bits set to one) in the subnet mask. The convention is always to start at the left end of the 32-bit subnet mask. The table below shows the correspondence between the "/xx" notation and the actual numeric representation.

shovik

Banned
See in a IP address for ex we have 192.168.0.20
now here 192.168 means the host part which is related to the server to which the client is connected and the last 20 which was your question signifies the client machine sequence in connection to the server i.e., the machine is the 20th one as configured in the server.

Regards,
Shovik.

mediator

Technomancer
@shovik .....ur wrong!

192.168.0.20 is a class B ip address!
the netid is 192.168 and 0.20 is the host address!

2. he is asking for "ip/20" not the "20 in ip".
@gramesh i read abt dis and understand ur problem but i exactly cant remember what /20 meant for ! Will post soon!

neways the wiki sent by @it_waaznt_me shud be good enough!

Last edited:

47shailesh

Security Exp
ip address is 32 bit address compromising of network portion(n\w bits) and host bits n\w bit are used for subnetting and used to identify subnets \20 means NUMBER OF NETWORK BITS USED DURING SUBNETTING \20 impilies that ur subnet id is 225.255.240.0

OP
G

gramesh

Journeyman
Hi thanks to all of u.

Firstly sorry for not specifying the full ip address gary4gar.

mediator is right shovik.

thanks Nimda for the nice link.

47shailesh u r right.

And finally it_waaznt_me how r u? thanks for the link? Remember me?

Regards to all.

Last edited:

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
192.168.0.20 is a class C address ... In a class C address, the first three octets represent the Network Portion and the last octet represent the host portion. So 192.168.0.0 is the network and 20 is the host.

Hey GRamesh .. remember you ... Hows life ..! ?

OP
G

gramesh

Journeyman
it_waaznt_me said:
192.168.0.20 is a class C address ... In a class C address, the first three octets represent the Network Portion and the last octet represent the host portion. So 192.168.0.0 is the network and 20 is the host.

Hey GRamesh .. remember you ... Hows life ..! ?

Hi Iam fine and what happened to u, bald at this young age (Just joking)!!!

I wll PM u later

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom