ip address conflict

Status
Not open for further replies.

legolas

Padawan
Hi,

I live in a dormitory where there are internet conx provided in every room. Its on the same network provided by 1 single entity (or whatever). Often, because of this, we get IP conflicts. I think most of you know what this is. Another person uses my IP in the TCP/IP configuration to connect to the internet.

This is extremely annoying and I wanted to trace that network address as to who does this! Is there any possible ways of doing this? Please suggest me in case any one knew.

I would be really grateful, believe me i am frustrated that much!
legolas.

OP
L

legolas

Padawan
we all are provided with internet conx as i said earlier. say you have a 1000 - 5000 systems with same ISP provider in a student hostel area. and every1 is given a ip address to configure, which will allocate a dynamic ip and every 6 hrs ur dynamic ip is renewed (removed incase u r idle) coz of the limited number of dynamic ip and lots of static ip being issued. so, when ppl dont get connected, they change their static ip so that their dynamic ip will be demanded to change. so that they can connect to internet. so, i and similar ppl get the conflict. now, i need to locate the COMPUTER NAME connected to the NETWORK (both via LAN and internet) which used my IP.

hope i made myself clear. and if u understood, do u have any suggestions?

legolas.

tell me when he uses ur IP, can u surf internet ??

if u want to locate , try my plan...

first collect all IP address by ipsniffer in ur network... means trace the range of IP... (when u not in conflict mode... :eek:)
so u get all live IPs and mac address of pcs....
Now do it for 2-3 days.... so u collect all adresses...... sometimes some soft also shows system name....
Now check time when ur IP conflict.......
Now when ur Ip conflict, use other pc and trace IP addresses and mac.... and simultaneously quickly disable ur network connection (LAN)... so u can get mac address of other system, which uses IP of urs...
but when one or more users uses same mac/IP , it will not conflict.... :D its a limitation.....but there r other ways to traceout... :cool:

so u know, what to do next !!!

OP
L

legolas

Padawan
24online, i almost forgot this post, this is awesome... I still have some issues in this regard, not so frequent nowadays thou. Will try'em out! thanks a ton! and of course, i wud be willing to know the "other ways" too! :D :p

legolas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom