Invisible DVD RW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys ... I have Asus M2NPV-VM Mobo and lite on 20x dvdrw and i am facing a little prob ....

I tried the Tutorial for changing the default dialogue boxes in XP, using resource hacker. i modified Shell32.dll, timedate.cpl and msgina.dll. after replacing these files ..when i rebooted my system ..it kept restarting after the Xp boot screen (may be i did something wrong :p ) . .... after that i reinstalled Xp chosing "repair the previous installation option"...... now windows cant recognize my DVD RW .....i looked in Device manager ...there it shows only 1 optical drive (virtual drive of Alcohol 120%). i tried add new hardware ..but no use ..... now wat shld i do ..... plz dnt tell to reinstall XP .... is there any other way to solve it ??? Plz help ...........

cm on guys .....21 views and still no reply ????? is it that big a problem ???? i have reinstalled Xp again( upgrade) ... and during setup it demanded a file and i inserted the Cd .. and it detected the cd very well at that time ...but after completion ...its again the same story :confused: ... and the drive is working perfectly fine in UBUNTU (dual boot) ..... wat shld i do ??? i dnt want to format my drive .......plz help ..

Last edited:

weftr100

Random Username
Did you try a fresh installl of Xp? I mean like formating the partition which contains Xp and then performing a full install. Or maybe you could try installing the drivers on the CD provided with your DVD drive.

OP
harryneopotter

harryneopotter

Padawan
Drivers for optical drive ???? Never heard of them ......... and how do i use the CD which might have come with drive WHEN THE OPTICAL DRIVE IS NOT BEEN DETECTED ....... i knw my first post was a bit lengthy ... but its my main prob that the DRIVE is NOT SHOWING AT ALL ......... wat may be the reason ??

Quiz_Master

* Teh Flirt King *
Go to the device manager... In other devices you might see an unknow device with "!" mark, remove that device driver. Restart the PC. Scan for hardware changes, if u find a hardware, install drivers for it. (You will need original CP disk).
If this not work, I suggest u do a fresh install.

clmlbx

Technomancer
try doing a fresh install

as u say it is running in ubuntu , so it is software problem

do a fresh install

wizrulz

GUNNING DOWN TEAMS
TRY THIS...
go to
RUN>>regedit
>>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Cont rol\Class\{4D36E965-E325 -11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Delete upper filter and lower filter entries and reboot....

Do backup ur registry before doing this.

abhra

Broken In
Select Start->Run, type 'gpedit.msc'. Go to User Configuration->Administrative Templates->Windows Components->Windows Explorer. There are options like hiding specified drives in My Computer & so on. Check those options. If this does not work, try running the "Add New Hardware" wizard from Control Panel.

Liggy

Is actually a real word..
harryneopotter said:
^^ already tried :confused: but cldnt find UPPER or LOWER entries ........

In that case what shows in device manager, if nothing shows, make sure they are present in BIOS. are they internal drives? other wise yeah listen to the wise old owl (Ax3). I personally won't install anything norton but yeah if you like 'tweaking this' you could restore with the Ghost (save n Restore) option in a few minutes as apposed to hours with CD then drivers then updates, then all the software...
Just a reminder repair only works so that you can backup data, then reload. it is not meant to fix every aspect of windows.

Last edited:
OP
harryneopotter

harryneopotter

Padawan
device manager is showing nothing .. only 1 cd-dvd drive(virtual drive for alcohol) and no unknown hardware(no question mark). it is showing in BIOS as well as in UBUNTU, but not in xp. and if this a windows prob ... then wats the use of using norton ghost to backup and restore as after restore the files will be same as now .. so the problem will remain same ..............???????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom