theraven

Technomancer
have u ?
i dun think u should advise ppl on doing something u havent bothered to do
plz be careful and try n be a lil more helpful
else its not a necessity to post

casanova

The Frozen Nova
one idiots way out is to fetch a boot.ini from a friend or someone who is running the same os and has it installed at the same drive. It should not a problem if he has some other os (not that sure i and most of my friends use winXP)
Now copy this file to your primary active partition most probably C:\ with help of startup disk. And then just try again.

It would be helpful if you give th os u r using and other info related to it

mangemayur

Journeyman
Not to offence you The Incredible
But theraven, i tried that and got many links, just for your reference ........
*www.google.co.in/search?hl=en&q=boot.ini+is+invalid.&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

OP
The Incredible

The Incredible

Ambassador of Buzz
warrior said:
are you using dual booting? boot with XP and fixmbr.... can you give a details ..

no i'm not.

btw those pages were not helpful. this occurs whenevr i boot my system but doesnt causes a problem it only shows that my boot.ini is invalid. and then winxp starts w/o any problem

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Then try one thing!

type msconfig in Run dialog box.

Goto: BOOT.INI tab and click on Check All Boot Paths button. It'll remove the incorrect entries and then restart ur pc.

It should help u...

varungupta17

Broken In
Boot from windows xp cd and press R at the first screen. Enter ur administrator password. Now ur at dos prompt. type "help" and press enter. This will give u all dos commands available. Try the commands which have boot name in them. (I have forgot the name of the commands SORRY!!!) ELSE try to repair ur installation by pressing to install a new copy at first screen, agree the agreement and FINALLY PRESS "R" !!!

choudang

Padawan
are you able to do as per @Vishal Gupta .... you can do one thing also ... in msconfig select use modified BOOT.INI if it is use Original BOOT.INI.

OP
The Incredible

The Incredible

Ambassador of Buzz
kool down. that doesnt helps...

now i wanna tell that i have been facing terrible problems.

whenever i run ad-aware latest version with latest updates then it opens normally but when i run a check then after scanning over 97000 files it stop while deep scanning the folder "D:/Security/ZoneAlarm/repair" and dont completes scanning that file and then i have to press cancel twice to cancel scanning. before scanning the above mentioned folder it had detected a file as a critical error but never shows that file when i abort scanning. here is what i saw as the result.

it is really shocking.

*img477.imageshack.us/img477/1492/adawaresumthingwrong9mm.jpg

one more thing is that i havent selected anything to b ignored and it shows that it had ignored 4 objects.

next thing is that neither ZA is working nor McAfee is working nor avast! is working nor AntiVir is working nor SpybotSnD is working.

i can install and unistall all those above mentioned things insafe mode and they do work when i switch to normal mode but as soon as i reboot after switching into normal mode, they all stop working.

i installed ZoneAlarm once again via safemode, it worked w/o any problem in next normal boot but with this msg on the startup

*img477.imageshack.us/img477/6292/zavalidationfailed2lk.png

i also installed AntiVir provided by digit in novemeber dvd so that if there is any problem then that cud b solved but i got shocked when i saw ZA showing AntiVir accessing the trusted zone while i wasnt connected to the net.

here's the how i came to know (this screenshot has been taken while i'm not connectd to the net.

*img5.imageshack.us/img5/7053/zashowinconxnwhilenotconeced2n.jpg

all that i cud have find that nowadays i'm seeing every software asking to access a process named smss.exe and crss.exe , i'm having doubt on these processes because i never saw any programms asking to using this processes.

*img477.imageshack.us/img477/3627/zasmsscrss9no.jpg

sum more problem have been mentioned in this thread

currently i have used a system restore to come back where i was and ZA is working but McAfee isnt but i'm dead sure tht again as soon as i will boot, everything will agiain stop working.

pls help me.

casanova

The Frozen Nova
Recently i was facing a problem of the imilar type with norton antivirus and in the quarantine folder.
So, according to what i observed, the quarantined file was still infected and was also increasing its size. It had increased to a size of 580 MB. And my CPU was busy to 98%.
Luckily as I was using two Windows XP on two different HDDs, i booted into the other os and deleted the files in quarantine folder. Now my system is working file. My comp was infected by win32.pif virus.

So, u can try deleting the files from the repair folder where it hangs. In my case NAV use to hang at two places, the first being c:\program files\norton systemworks\norton antivirus\quarantine and second in my games folder where i had installed Wolf ET.

Can't guarantee this will work. But u can give it a try

OP
The Incredible

The Incredible

Ambassador of Buzz
me dont hav norton.

but mymcafee virusscan wasnt working so i unistalled it and in the process deleted one quarrantined file.

now i had installed avg 7

i seitched to a restore point and after that i had been hibernating to avoid boot ups as they r pobably the problem.

currently i'm able to run ZA avg ad-aware and spybot snd w/o bootups so currently i'm updating all these things

i'm also having doubt on the process named smss.exe , so whenever a program ask to communicate with it then ZA informs me and i denies this communication, perhaps this was the reason of hanging of ad-aware.

allright, i will b searching any possible solution,btw wat if i reinstall winxp over the existing version, will i have to reinstall all the programs i'm having?

@warrior

there's not even a single boot path to b checked

guys gimme a solution if possible ASAP

casanova

The Frozen Nova
i think it wud rather be better to reinsatll it completely i.e after formatting it.
But before that i would recommend you to remove the programs that are giving errors.

If it doesnt help reinstall. And if u can hold on , then u should w8 since might be some1 else can give u a better solution.

Also wat i was trying to tell u is that remove all the files fom the quarantine folder. Hardly ne1 uses those files.

And as u say installing on the existing xp, i dont think windows will allow u to insatll on it. Instead you can repair it. But press R for repairing at the second prompt else it will open the recovery console. When u choose repair at the second prompt everything will go as if u r installing afresh copy but it wud be faster and ur programs wud be there.

So, ur considerations shud be
1. Wait for some one to help u out.
2. Remove the programs that are giving errors
3. Repair/Fresh install
4. Fresh install

rajas

In the zone
Incredible, have you tried the article mentioned by swatkat.
Very useful one. Boot to recovery console.
u just need to try the command bootcfg /rebuild and say 'Y' for the rest of the questions asked. will repair all the the bootable process.
will resolve the issue you have in the first place.

This is useful in cases where boot.ini and hal.dll files get messed up.

OP
The Incredible

The Incredible

Ambassador of Buzz
allright guys do a google searh on smss.exe and csrss.exe

wat i found is that these are system proceses but sum worm use this name for fooling.

i saw these processes from when i came to know abt problems in my pc

i cant use any removal tool as they can be system processes which might cause sum problem

but one thing i came to know that these processes cant b ended from taskmanger which perhaps indicates the case of worm

and i also cant end these processes from taskmanager.

my friend sugested me that it is sasser worm and asked me to download its removal tool so i did the same and am scanning my pc currently while this scanning sumhow avg as found worms "I-Worm/Bagle" and "I-Worm/Bagle.HY" which were trying to run few files. it had found abt 10 viri till now trying to access sum .exe files in windows and system 32 directory.

it had forund one more virus nadm Adware Generic.

man there is sumthing definitely worng here.

i have found abt 15+ vri till now and moved more than 50 viri to vault (quarrantined) gonna disconnect now.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Hey incredible. I think you should allow smss.exe and crss.exe to access the internet they are legitimate windows programs. You can't stop them from the task manager cos they are system programs and if they are stopped ur system will shut down so it is a security feature that they should not be allowed to shut down. Let them access the internet.
Now, if i've understood properly than everything is working fine when you boot in the safe mode right? If so then you can enter into safe mode and delete the offending file.

OP
The Incredible

The Incredible

Ambassador of Buzz
everything is fine now, i'm not facing any problem but the "invalid boo.ini , booting from C:/windows " is yet showing on the startup.

i have found 23 viri and 90 infected files and deleted them all.

the name of viri were I-worm/Bagle I-worm/Bagle.HY and Asdware Generic ..... sumthingsumthing....

i dunno how they entered my pc.

how can i solve that invaild boot.ini problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom