Internet Speeds Slowing Linux Growth in India ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
I had to d/l a driver for video adapter for fedora and it comes to 18 MB . i know i could finish it in in hour or 2 with the dial up connection . but just for a driver i need to spend so much time downloading . that to for just one flavour . i need to d/l more if i have to install video drivers for other flavours i got . plus several more hours for drivers for other devices .

been through a lot of articles where users , authors abroad try out linux and if they dont find a file , s/w or driver , they just go to the net and update / download huge files at gr8 speeds .
does high speed net connections abroad give the people there an edge over when it comes to implementation and growth of internet for normal and expert users ?.

Not a lot of ppl are blessed with high speed connections in their office , let alone permission to download and burn stuff they need . majority of us seem to be just stuck with distros given out by mags and generous friends . Even if we have a boom in broadband , with the HIGH rates for low speeds and limits to download capacity will we still lag behind other countries when it comes to implementation of linux . any ideas on how to improve the situation ? anyone got TRAI email id ?? who fixes these rates anyway ? i am sure Mr.Kalam would be upset abt the net speeds and slow implementation of linux as he has been serious and vocal abt his liking for linux .

rakee

Journeyman
in my experience using net with dialup in linux is not much slow nor fast...BUT you will have the never before experience of broadband connection in linux..it rocks...you can copy files on the fly...open zip,rar files online and extract them directly from net....it is fine

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
I do aggree, for keeping your GNU/Linux system up-to-date, you gotta have a fat pipe... coz first of all, there are rarely any vendours who keep stock of boxed packs of Linux distributions (forget about its service packs) .... Until broad band makes its way into every city and town, the true potential of GNU/Linux cannot be experienced by the masses...

TRAI is also not helping much... Recently they announced a new Broadband Policy for india... According to which for a connection to be called as true BroadBand, the connection has to be atleast @256kbps .... which is considered as narrow band in the west...

TRAI should instead try to focus to set up an indian root DNS server, that alone can boost internet connections upto 20-25 %, because as of now... there are only 13 Root DNS servers in the world, and none of them in india...

So what happenes is that all connections are in turn diverted to US and then comes back to indian hosts.... this is just sheer waste of international backbone links...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom