Internet Sharing Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

NikhilVerma

Padawan
LAN speed converted to 10Mbps from 100Mbps

Hi...

I have two PCs at my home. Till now I had Sify Cable Broadband on one PC and other was not connected to internet or the first PC. I have taken new Airtel DSL Connection and now what I want is...

1) Keep Airtel DSL connection a PC and Sify Cable Broadband on same PC(basically I havent renewed Sify but wish to be connected to friends through LAN which was provided by Sify).

2) Then I also want my other PC to connect to first PC and access net.

I have a DSL Modem.
A LAN Card on each of my PC.

Is it really possible?
If yes, Is it possible with teh hardware I have?
If not, What else I need to buy?

And, How to setup the above connections?

Thanks in advance...

Last edited:

purnendu100

Right off the assembly line
Hi Nikhil,
It's really easy, nothing too hard. First of all do you have the Airtel DSL Connection connected to your USB, I assume that it is connected through USB. Now you need to buy one more Lan Card or USB LAN.
Next connect the sify cable broadband to one LAN Card, put the IP address on it it was previously and then disable it by right clicking on that particular Local Area Connection.
Next buy a Crossover Cable (to connect one PC to another PC), it should be less than 80mtr, i.e. the distance of your both PCs should not more than 80mtr. Now put one side of the crossover cable to your server PC LAN Card and another side to your 2nd PC LAN Card. Put the IP address of your 2nd PC as IP address=192.168.0.2, Subnet Mask= 255.255.255.0, Gateway=192.168.0.1, DNS= 192.168.0.1.
Now in your 1st PC right click on Airtel DSL dialup, go to properties page, click on advance tab, click on Share and select your home Network and press OK. And you are allmost done.
When you want to connect to your friends through sify Cable, simply just enable it by reght clicking on that perticular Local Area Connection.
If you requir any further help you can contact me through email.
purnendu1001@yahoo.com

OP
NikhilVerma

NikhilVerma

Padawan
Thanks a lot Sir ... I will definately try it out

Also for some very weird reason my Sify LAN's bandwidth now displays as 10 Mbps , it was 100 before. when I try and set it to 100 Half or 100 Full manually it displays that network cable is disconnected. Why does that happen ?

Last edited:

purnendu100

Right off the assembly line
OK Nikhil,
First you tell me everything about your connection, is your DSL connected through LAN or USB.

However you can see 10 Mbps for another reason, Like when you dial your DSL connection and it got connected. It connects to 10 Mbps by default. So cheek it out which connection is showing 10 Mbps. it must be the DSL connection.

OP
NikhilVerma

NikhilVerma

Padawan
Well I have a DSL USB router .... plugged in USB obviously ... and that shows the connection speed as 12 MBPS ...

Now the Sify one is plugged in my LAN card. And it shows the connection speed as 10 MbPS ( this is the problem ) coz before Airtel came along my LAN card ran at speeds of 100 Mbps ....

Plz help ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom