Internet connection working in root not as user..

Status
Not open for further replies.

champ_rock

champ_rock
ok i finally dumped ubuntu and installed fc4
now i am using sify connection and installed its client when i was logged in as root.....
now it runs fine in root logs me in and all that

when i rreturn to normal browsing and then try to connect it asks for user id and pass alright and then just displays the time and the command line resumes...
no internet connection though... any guesses

alib_i

Cyborg Agent
check which files and binaries are installed by the client ( through documentation etc )
I think you dont have read/write/execute permission in one of the files.
Do a "chmod 775" over that binary/file.

-----
alibi

ujjwal

Padawan
The sify daemon, which is installed by the install script provided by sify, is started as an init script for your distro, and creates two files readfifo and writefifo, which can only be written to by root. A better way to login would be to uninstall the sify client, and manually start the daemon and login when you want to.

To uninstall the client, run as root

Code:
rm /usr/bin/sifyconnect
rm /usr/bin/sifyd
rm /etc/init.d/sifybb
rm /etc/rc2.d/SS20sifybb
rm /etc/rc3.d/SS20sifybb
rm /etc/rc5.d/SS20sifybb

Then, to login while a normal user, cd to the directory where you extracted the sify client, and run

Code:
./sifyd
./sifyconnect -l

If you do not wish to type two commands to connect, you can use a small script I created, which will start the daemon, login, and then kill the daemon (useful only on unlimited time connections). Copy sifyd and sifyconnect to /usr/local/bin, and create a small text file there called sifylogin with this content -

Code:
#!/bin/sh

sifyd
sifyconnect -l
exec killall sifyd

Give this file executable permissions by running "chmod +x /usr/local/bin/sifylogin".

Now, to login, all you have to do is run "sifylogin".

OP
champ_rock

champ_rock

champ_rock
created the exec but same prob

[akshay@localhost ~]$ sifylogin
Sify broadband daemon already running...
run sifyconnect --login to login)
Welcome to Sify BroadBand Service

username :**********
password :*************

Sun Oct 16 00:22:22 2005

sifyd(2056): Operation not permitted
sifyd(2499): Operation not permitted
sifyd(2500): Operation not permitted
sifyd: no process killed
[akshay@localhost ~]$

ujjwal

Padawan
The problem is happening because the sify daemon is already running, and has been started by root. Have you uninstalled it properly and restarted the system? You could also (as root) kill the sifyd process and run the steps

Code:
killall sifyd

Uninstalling it will prevent the sifyd process from being started (by root) at every bootup.

OP
champ_rock

champ_rock

champ_rock
but the prob is not of killing the sifyd process...the thing is not connectiong via the mormal user account whereas i am able to connect when logged in as root....

ujjwal

Padawan
Well, which user can connect depends upon which user has started the sifyd daemon, do one thing, type "ls /tmp -l | grep fifo" and check the output. You should get something like this -

Code:
# ls /tmp/ -l | grep fifo
prw-r-----  1 akshay users      0 2005-10-17 01:04 readfifo
prw-rw----  1 akshay users      0 2005-10-17 01:04 writefifo

If instead of "akshay users" you get "root root" in the columns, this means that readfifo and writefifo cannot be written to by normal users, and hence only root can connect. If so, make sure sifyd is not running, and then delete those files as root user. Now, start sifyd as a normal user and you should be able to connect.

OP
champ_rock

champ_rock

champ_rock
the sifyd deomen has been started as it shows the login screen...
it asks for my id and pass and then simply shows the date and not my accout details.....

but when i use the su command and then try to login it works fine...

ujjwal

Padawan
Arre what is important is "who" (more appropriately - which user) owns the fifo files in /tmp. If the user does not have write access to them, he will not be able to login to sify.

OP
champ_rock

champ_rock

champ_rock
i have sucessfully created the sifyloin file as suggested by ujjwal...
and in that process i deleted all the insatlled files of sify........

coolblue

Broken In
Hmmmm

Hey Ujjwal....u seem to be pretty knowledgeable abt linux....can u plz recommend good linux books for me....I've been using linux but I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to geeky commands. Plz tel me where u learned all that...

And Champrock, can u tell me whats the speed of ur internet connection and how much it all costs....and where do u stay.

Thanks in advance:D

praka123

left this forum longback
champ_rock said:
ok i stey in delhi...
i have 64 kbps :(
500 per month sify broadband connection...
UNLIMITED
First Dump the sifyd.'lsof |grep sifyd' and run 'kill process id of sifyd'
Is Sify BB adsl type like Dataone?then u can configure it using GUI->system-config-network >new adsl connxn and start the connection using System tools>network device control in Appliaction menu/KDE menu As Local user.before u need to create ur lan card as device eth0.
If urs is cable internet Select system-config-network >new modem connxn.
If u got sifyd rpm.u can very well uninstall it using 'rpm -e whatever'.
Best of Luxk :wink:

ujjwal

Padawan
I certainly do not have much knowledge about linux, and I have not read through many linux books to be a good advisor, but this is one (old) book that I found useful, and quite enjoyable on a train journey :lol:, its rather nice for getting a basic idea of linux/unix concepts -

*www.tldp.org/LDP/gs/gs.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom