Intel's 'Nehalem' To Launch Sooner (September 2008)

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadow2get

In the zone
Source

Originally scheduled to launch in November or December*i.ixnp.com/images/v3.40/t.gif this year, Intel*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Corporation’s Nehalem-based Bloomfield processors will now launch in September along with X58 chipsets, sources at motherboard makers revealed. However, the sources pointed out that CPUs and motherboards will not officially appear in the channel until early October.

We took an early look at Nehalem in a quad-core configuration running at 2.93 GHz. In our very early tests, our Nehalem part performed quite impressively. It beat out the competition by fairly significant margins, proving that Intel’s architectural changes is definitely on the positive side. Our part was able to outperform equally configured systems with current processors from both AMD’s camp and Intel’s own by margins between 20 to 30 percent.

*media.bestofmicro.com/Nehalem-X58-4850,D-7-114523-1.jpg

Keep in mind that Nehalem no longer uses a traditional front-side bus (FSB), and instead uses an external multiplier to control the link between CPU core, memory controller , and north-bridge.

According to several of our sources, Intel is well on its way with silicon yield, and early samples confirm this. With our own sample in house, we were able to overclock our samples by nearly 1 GHz. What are the performance figures for a quad-core Nehalem system running at nearly 4 GHz? We’ll come back with more as soon as we develop a viable suite of benchmarks to show some real-world gaming and productivity performance.
Stay tuned!

Hrithan2020

In the zone
Wow! I hope for AMD's sake that their Deneb processors beat the crap out of Nehalem well enough. Else they are in for serious losses. :(

I am v.sceptical.I think it'd be enough if AMD can manage to be competitive to Nehalem in low-med end range (100 to 400 $) if they can do that. The possibility of AMD (high-end) beating Nehalem (high-end) seems v.low.Else we may as well usher in the era of 2000$ processor!!

PS:Isn't Deneb(K 10.5?),just a 45nm shrink of Phenom (K 10)?.So won't have major performance increase. I have higher hopes for the Fusion and Bulldozer (K 11)

I am v.sceptical.I think it'd be enough if AMD can manage to be competitive to Nehalem in low-med end range (100 to 400 $) if they can do that. The possibility of AMD (high-end) beating Nehalem (high-end) seems v.low.Else we may as well usher in the era of 2000$ processor!!

PS:Isn't Deneb(K 10.5?),just a 45nm shrink of Phenom (K 10)?.So won't have major performance increase. I have higher hopes for the Fusion and Bulldozer (K 11)
I heard deneb is going to be an entirely new architecture...

But one thing is for sure: AMD is doing wonders with ATi. I hope this is a good morale booster as well as a profit booster to them.

nvidia

-----ATi-----
This is really bad for AMD.
I dont think Deneb is powerful enough to compete against the Nehalem. :(

sameer.pur

The Chosen One
There is no way AMD can compete against Nehalem.
(At least for now..)

But if it does.. things will get interesting.
In end, it is us who will get benefit..
More competition = Price Drops..:D

chesss

mera kutch nahi ho sakta
Nehalem may kick AMD's ass all over the board.
BUT
deneb will be compatible with AM2/AM2+ and DDR2 :D, which means one can(and I will) just swap the cpu for a nice cheap upgrade :)

Last edited:

nvidia

-----ATi-----
deneb will be compatible with AM2/AM2+ and DDR2 :D, which means one can(and I will) just swap the cpu for a nice cheap upgrade :)
Thats the best thing about AMD:) I dont have to upgrade my PC from scratch:)

Btw, Nehalem supports only DD3 or DDR2 also?

4T7

Journeyman
I hope Intel gets it what it deserves this time from EUC and FTC for cheating with AMD :)

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
but look at the platform on the whole.

Phenom+780G+4850 will kick in serious performance gain over Intel's counterpart. the hybrid crossfire gives a 30% increase in GPU performance.

AMD may have a weak processor but when you take GPU and mobo into account, AMD is well ahead.

FYI, Phenom+780G can run crysis on medium settings. Add to that super powered 4850 or 4870 and you will see some serious gaming performance at a very good performace/price ratio.

When AMD acquired ATI, it was said that the real advantage of the merger will be in 2010 and not earlier. And look at the roadmap, it's well on track.

It'a 2008 and we are seeing awesome products from ATI. Suddenly they have architecture to make nVidia look weak.

Moreover, ATI's 780G chipset is currently the best chipset. Never before an onboard GPU was able to run crysis at medium settings.

Now, it's the turn of AMD. One good processor architecture is all that they need. They have everything else in bag. And phenom is 50% of what they need. Once they get it, Intel will fall into defensive mode (like they did for Pentium 4's).

I am pretty sure that 2010 will be AMD's year.

4T7

Journeyman

Phenom+780G+4850 will kick in serious performance gain over Intel's counterpart. the hybrid crossfire gives a 30% increase in GPU performance.

AMD may have a weak processor but when you take GPU and mobo into account, AMD is well ahead.

FYI, Phenom+780G can run crysis on medium settings. Add to that super powered 4850 or 4870 and you will see some serious gaming performance at a very good performace/price ratio.

When AMD acquired ATI, it was said that the real advantage of the merger will be in 2010 and not earlier. And look at the roadmap, it's well on track.

It'a 2008 and we are seeing awesome products from ATI. Suddenly they have architecture to make nVidia look weak.

Moreover, ATI's 780G chipset is currently the best chipset. Never before an onboard GPU was able to run crysis at medium settings.

Now, it's the turn of AMD. One good processor architecture is all that they need. They have everything else in bag. And phenom is 50% of what they need. Once they get it, Intel will fall into defensive mode (like they did for Pentium 4's).

I hope so :smile:

nvidia

-----ATi-----

+1
CF isn't fully developed IMO. Lack of proper drivers for CF setup. If only proper drivers were available then nVidia would be history.

Its true that 2010 will be AMD's turning point. I think thats the time when they will release Fusion. Power of AMD processor + ATi GPU all in one:) Cant wait for it:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom