Intel takes the crown back from AMD , After years....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kniwor

Learner
*www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2713

it's impressive....

The one area where AMD has been the clear leader for years has been in gaming performance - Conroe changes everything.

mohit

The Hardware Labs
guys its six months more till its actually launched .. so keep your excitement on hold :(

MysticHalo

Your Maker.
Maybe this offers a better read if u r a bit confused-:
*www.macworld.com/news/2006/03/07/core/index.php

G

gxsaurav

cool, finally the compatibility of Intel (SSE3 etc) with the performance per watt of AMD. Rendering will rock on this

OP
Kniwor

Kniwor

Learner
@ nemesis
in what way i am troubleshooting a hardware problem....

anyhow guys i am not suggesting that AMD is out of the seat... but atleast there is some competition after long time

by the time this is out amd will be on AM2 and DDR2

rockthegod

Dark Overlord !!!
ashnik said:
i think till the conroe launch, AMD will have AM2 ready to kick Intel A**..

Huh !!! This is Intel's New Core architecture already kicking FX60 O/C 's A** by a huge 20-28% margin in all tests.... the final product may be not so much but prolly at least will take a 10% lead in all tests... AM2 is just a socket type and those processors will retain the same architecture as X2s noww.. so no way for AMD until they come out withy ntirely new architecture/more speed!!!

And for ur info:
CONROE Runs @ 2.66 GHz..... Estimated cost when it comes out: $533
Source: *www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=787

while AMD FX60 @ 2.8 GHz.....around $900...

Now which one will u choose ???
:twisted:

vijay_7287

Cyborg Agent
even goin by the arguements in this thread
the lower end gamin market is still with AMD
in India, a 50k PC is a high end thingy - ONLY for GAMERZ
given the economic scenario
Athlon64 3500+ is gaming proc here

so AMD still RULES :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

G

gxsaurav

i don't think so.

in india, if 10 PCs are sold, weather branded or assembled, 8 are Intel, the reason, cos people know Intel as the 2nd name for CPU.AMD marketing sux everywhere.

rockthegod

Dark Overlord !!!
Not only the lower end but still the higher end gaming markets in India are mostly AMD.. and that scenario is not goin to change (in India) for some time even after Conroe comes out !!!

One fact is that the Competition must not get cold, thatz my point, with Intel's pathetic processors (compared to AMDs) over the last few years were already shifting the market in favor of AMD, and we dun wanna see another INTEL like monopoly now, do we ?? Competition slams/boosts up technological innovations... and thatz what must go on .. a REAL HOT FIGHT BETWEEN INTEL AND AMD for the performance crown....

dun we remember tht when thr was Intel's monopoly existent, it took about 10 years to reach 1 GHz from 100 MHz, but when AMD got into the scene, Competition boosted up and that resulted in 2 GHz frm 1 GHz with ane and a half year.....

We (at least I) dun want saturation @ ne level in the hardware scenario !!!!!

AcceleratorX

Youngling
Intel will have the crown for a short period of time IMO. Just like Pentium 4 kicked the Athlon XP till the Barton core came about (which was competitive). Then the AMD Athlon64 came out and dominated Intel. Now Intel's releasing all new architecture, Pentium 4 vs. Athlon XP revisited......

In the end, both companies will perform almost equally. :)

The way technology progresses, I'm thinking about an NVIDIA CPU-within-a-GPU running at 2.6GHz (16 cores running in parallel) with support PixelShader 6.0 and Vertex Shader 5.5, SSE7, 3DNow! Hardcore edition. This shall have the ability to make wormholes within the pipeline allowing it to predict what instruction is coming next, therefore preparing the CPU/GPU for it, increasing performance. The wormhole is also used to speed up performance by time shifting to the end point.

The setup is cooled by a giant watercooling system called the IceFlowFX. :p

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
hitman_never_dies said:
AMD is better than intel
Maybe for gaming but not for A/V encoding. While you're at it compare a laptop with Intel Core Duo against the best that AMD has to offer and see if you feel the same.

nvidia is better than ATI
Even as you make stupid statements like that, the X1900XTX continues to kick nVidia's a$$.

eddie

El mooooo
It was in today's TOI as well. I came in to ask you guys what all it is about. 40% better performance at 40% lower power consumption? Cool stuff :)

*img159.imageshack.us/img159/5143/intel1ou.th.jpg

MysticHalo

Your Maker.
rockthegod said:
wait till nvidia 7900 GTX come out next later this month..

Well, it isnt gonna be much surprise with 2 chips per card drawind extremely high amounts of power (the one that the processors r trying to conserve).
I think it is bound to happen. The next card that ATi will release will be better than the 7900 GTX and so on. It is a continuous cycle towards betterment.
But this card is gonna be heavy on performance and on pockets. Just have a look at the specs-: *www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=915

Well, this has led me to believe, successor ousts the predecessor.....atleast in the hardware industry....and i m pretty sure that whatever AMD gets next is gonna be better than Conroe.

PS: BTW, speaking of cards, ATi r planning a 1 GB gfx card by May.....this year ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom