Intel Processor error - Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Padikkal

Broken In
Hai friends, :(

I assembled a P4 system last week. The system worked perfectly, installed XP. But next day onwards I am finding an error. The system was used for an hour - then switched off - then restarted. The system is not starting, if I start again I get an error message "The CPU was previously shut down due to a thermal event ( over heating). Service the unit to resolve the problem. press f4 to resume, f12 to boot from network.

The processor is Intel Pentium 4 2.66MHz (533 MHz FSB)
Motherboard Intel Original 915 GAV ( Having PCI x16 slot)
HDD Maxtor 80 GB SATA
Memory 256 MB 400MHz
iball cabinet/SMPS, LG17"Mon, Logitec KB,Mouse
(The processor is with new thermal solution round heatsink -fan with 4 pin connection to MB.)

The error is repeating frequently - kinldy help, or the link where I get solution for this.

Padikkal.

mohit

The Hardware Labs
this is an overheating problem ... did u install the procc properly by reading n following all the instructions carefully ?? check all connections and check if your procc fan is installed properly , try changing the smps and see.. since u r not using a prescott it shouldnt heat (usually the prescotts are the ones giving heating problems to ppl) ..also try checking the cpu tempearatues with the Intel Active Monitor .. it may also be that your cpu is damaged .. get a replacement if nothing works.

ashnik

Ambassador of Buzz
since ur not using Prescott its a human error, i do not think that u should try local paste..
With AMDs i have used local paste for 2 times, no problem till today.

Kniwor

Learner
What is the heat sink, what thermal compound are u using, i think it's the thermal compound problem, because no proc ever heats so much in matter of seconds if the heat is properly transferred to the heat sink.

rohanbee

Padawan
i know there is a problem with intels 3.0 ghz and over , wonder what happened with yours.......

didn't your comp give you a warning beep or anything? you might have fried some components.

OP
P

Padikkal

Broken In
mohit said:
this is an overheating problem ... did u install the procc properly by reading n following all the instructions carefully ?? check all connections and check if your procc fan is installed properly , try changing the smps and see.. also try checking the cpu tempearatues with the Intel Active Monitor .. quote]

Thank you for the reply.

The processor was installed properly and the fan also was working properly. The error appears after restarting the system after a long run.
When it works normally the cpu temperature shows appx 55 deg (CMOS).

Padikkal.

Kniwor

Learner
Just when ur computer shuts down, touch the heat sink and see it it is hot, if it is indeed, i mean if u cant touch it, then ur processor has something wrong, if it's not, i suggest u change ur thermal paste, as u are in kerela, i dont think u'll get arctic silver there, please dont use a cheap paste, u can get the pad by "honeywell" if u contact the intel service centre. that is a good pad and will do the job.

OP
P

Padikkal

Broken In
The system is not starting and if we start again I get the error message.
The processor fan is starting and picking the speed. The heatsink is not hot. If I switch on again it works nornal for hours.

Is there any problem in operating the CPU (warranty for 3 yrs)

I removed the heatsink fan unit and installed again. The thermal paste is intact and impression of processor is excact and no gap between proc and heatsink.

The error still persists Please help. :(

praka123

left this forum longback
padikkal,did u put thermal pad while reinstalling ?get Intel's thermally advantageous chassis.*cache-www.intel.com/cd/00/00/06/20/62086_62086.pdf

while i wrote to arctic silver company and got this reply:

Hi Asad,

Try:

Prime ABGB Pvt. Ltd.

Grd Floor, Shop no. 16,

Laxmi Bldg Compound,

Opp. to Swastik Cinema,

Lamington Road,

Mumbai - 400 004.

Mail :- primeservices@vsnl.com

Status
Not open for further replies.