Intel Brings 64-bit Processing to the Pentium 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

quad master

In the zone
Well Intel has also finally got its 64Bit Processors now for the Desktop Platform

Read Complete Article here @ Extremetech.com
*www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1767082,00.asp

Intel ships the Pentium 4 600 series and a new 90nm Pentium 4 Extreme Edition. The new CPUs integrate Intel's version of x86-64, known as EM64T, plus a few other new features. Is this finally the version that gets Prescott a little respect?

Taken from the Article

Intel is announcing the Pentium 4 600 series and a new member of the Pentium 4 Extreme Edition. Unlike the earlier Extreme Edition processors, which differed in that they were based on Intel's older, 130nm technology, the new Extreme Edition is built on the company's 90nm manufacturing process. In fact, the only difference between the new Extreme Edition and the mainstream 600 series is the initial clock speed and front-side bus speeds.

Intel has added a few new features to its latest desktop CPU line:

:arrow: Support for EM64T (x86-64) instructions
:arrow: Enhanced SpeedStep power management technology (similar to the Pentium-M)
:arrow: Cache increased to 2MB from the previous 1MB
:arrow: NX bit (execute disable) in hardware

Processor Model
Pentium 4 Extreme Edition, 3.73GHz $999
Pentium 4 660, 3.6GHz $605
Pentium 4 650, 3.4GHz $401
Pentium 4 640, 3.2GHz $273
Pentium 4 630, 3.0GHz $224
Pentium 4 Extreme Edition, 3.46GHz $999
Pentium 4 570J, 3.8GHz $637
Pentium 4 560J, 3.6GHz $417
Pentium 4 550J, 3.4GHz $278
Pentium 4 540J, 3.2GHz $218
Pentium 4 530J, 3.0GHz $178
Athlon 64 FX-55 (2.6GHz, 1MB L2 cache) $827
Athlon 64 4000 (2.4GHz, 1MB L2 cache) $643
Athlon 64 3800 (2.4GHz, 512KB L2 cache) $424
Athlon 64 3500+ (2.2GHz, 512KB L2 cache) $272

Post your view on this

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
About bloody time. Even though the costs for the lower end 600 series is cheaper, I'd still go in for an AMD64 4000+ because of its true 64b platform. Amazing that the 3.73GHz processor is priced a full $172 more than the FX-55. Wonder how they would compare head-to-head in benchmarks involving high-geometry, pure DX9.0 tests and on the Doom 3 engine. :D
Intel would obviously shine on the synthetic benches. I wonder if AMD64 will maintain its lead in high-performance gaming. :D

darklord

Cyborg Agent
" The performance of the top Intel CPUs is still somewhat lower than that of the top Athlon 64 solutions. :lol:

they still yield to AMD CPUs in most applications including contemporary games. " :twisted:

Source - Xbitlabs

I think that says it all :wink:

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
Well the AMD 64 Processors still smack the new Intels in most benchies ..............So much for the 6 series. Even the Emergency Edition is smacked left and right by the AMD 64's ;).

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
What about the chip set? Will the current 915/925 support the new cpu. I think there should be a new range of chipsets that will be needed. Any news on them?

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
If you want to take advantage of the 1066MHz bus, then you need the i925XE chipset.

EDIT: As for the AMD64's kicking Intel heinie, that was to be expected.

blade_runner said:
Well the AMD 64 Processors still smack the new Intels in most benchies ..............So much for the 6 series. Even the Emergency Edition is smacked left and right by the AMD 64's.

There are benchmarks of the AMD FX-55 vs. the P4 6xx series? :shock: How come? They're just out. Does xbitlabs already have a benchmark in place?

darklord

Cyborg Agent
enoonmai said:
If you want to take advantage of the 1066MHz bus, then you need the i925XE chipset.

EDIT: As for the AMD64's kicking Intel heinie, that was to be expected.

blade_runner said:
Well the AMD 64 Processors still smack the new Intels in most benchies ..............So much for the 6 series. Even the Emergency Edition is smacked left and right by the AMD 64's.

There are benchmarks of the AMD FX-55 vs. the P4 6xx series? :shock: How come? They're just out. Does xbitlabs already have a benchmark in place?

It is a REVIEW my dear not a PREVIEW.This means they had the CPu and tested it before posting it on their site. :lol:

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
darklord said:
It is a REVIEW my dear not a PREVIEW.This means they had the CPu and tested it before posting it on their site.

Dude, I know most reviewers get early looks at hardware, ALL I was asking if there was a benchmark in place and if possible, its link. The benchmark itself was released just on the 20th and as far as I was aware there was only one benchmark from xbitlabs listing the newer P4 series and the AMD64s and that was here:

*www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/pentium4-6xx.html

So when blade-runner said all benchmarks show the AMD64s beating the new Intels, I was surprised to hear that there were "many" out there. And for the first time, P4s have started leveling out with the AMD64s in many applications, although the AMDs still maintain their lead in heavy-duty computing, including games.

indro

In the zone
Actually , Intel's engineers are working hard in their fabs i guess, because they are catching up real quick , even though they dont match up, they are trying their everything against AMD,
But after the launch of A64's back in Sept 2003 , we've seen that each time intel tried to catch AMD , AMD released a new FX series and a 64 series line of CPU's , a real cat & mouse game , Right now we are in a phase where Intel just release few processors and waiting for AMD to respond back , it should be interesting to see what happens next :twisted: from AMD's point of view.

krisjr

In the zone
adding to wat all the geeks hav said,AMD still beats Intel in many of the tests..It costs higher than AMD though..but then the maxim doesnt hold good here-more money more the quality..here i am paying less and geting more quality than paying more..wat about that..there is another maxim i wud love to add,but thats in hindi..still it says Unchi dukan pheeki pakwan..I hope u guys get it..I am trying to say that intel is the so called big daddy but alas....lot remains to be done.now a days the HT ones heat more than AMDs

liquid_nitrogen88

Journeyman
Intel=BIG Price,SMALL performance
AMD=SMALL price,BIG Performance
Well,Intel ought 2 charge their CPUs a lot since they need 2 fund their expensive marketing gimmicks & huge dealer margins.....

G

gxsaurav

hmm, if only they could bring down the temprature a bit, it would be a good buy cos in India Intel still sales a lot

Delpiero

Journeyman
gxsaurav said:
hmm, if only they could bring down the temprature a bit, it would be a good buy cos in India Intel still sales a lot
Yeah intel 64 runs much cooler than 530 and 560 series. There idle temp. is 37C and stress temp never goes beyond 50C. Wonderful!! . Performance wise AMD still leads. Amd FX55 has still no competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom