intel 64 or amd 64 ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

InFiDeL

Right off the assembly line
hi guys...
i would like u to suggest me da best upgrade option.
should i go for intel or amd processors. which motherboard should i go for. currently i have a p3 733, i810e mobo, 192mb ram, 20gb comp. how much should i get for dat. my budget is 10k. i'm a light weight gamer. would also like u to suggest a decent graphics card. should i go for an ati or geforce? plz also let me kno da prices.

U

unvisible

*AMD64 processors consume less power compared to Intel

( *www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2275&p=13 )

*They are very cool even at high CPU load.

*Intel offers only 36bit physical vs 40bit+ on AMD. (*Nobody* offers full 64-bit physical addressing just yet. )

* Intel does not provide a pure 64bit long mode, only something that
resembles AMD's compatible mode.

* SYSENTER vs SYSCALL

So far the situation in the market looks as follows.

Intel’s new 64bit CPUs copes better than its AMD rival with streaming data processing and multimedia files encoding. Also, it appears quite efficient for multi-threading tasks, such as 3ds max or Photoshop. The newcomer from AMD, however, proved really fast in scientific tasks and games. If we make some additional allowances, we will be able to state its leadership over the Pentium 4 Extreme Edition even in contemporary 3D games.

So, which is the fastest CPU -- AMD's Athlon 64 or Intel's Pentium 4?
The answer depends on which software you use: there is no clear winner here.

The Athlon 64 has an advantage with mainstream office and Internet applications, and 3D games. Meanwhile, the Pentium 4 can always score with optimised software -- particularly 3D and video rendering. The multitasking tests also show an advantage for Intel's Pentium 4.

The Athlon 64 has a clear advantage in terms of cost. Although AMD's and Intel's fastest chips are comparably priced, system costs are higher for Pentium 4-based PCs with DDR2 memory. The price difference between Athlon 3500+ and Pentium 4 550 systems is even larger, because the AMD chip costs very less than its Intel counterpart.

U

unvisible

AMD64 3000+ (socket 939) - Rs 6300
MSI Rs482 - Rs 4700
512 MB DDR400 Hynix RAM - Rs 2100

Total - 13000

The onboard graphics are good for a casual gamer.SO dont worry about the graphics card.

OP
I

InFiDeL

Right off the assembly line
well the socket 939 seems a bit costly. if i go 4 socket 754 then wat would be my best mobo option. And is there anyone 4m chennai who can suggest some good dealers here. well should i go 4 asus nforce3 or nforce4 ?

darklord

Cyborg Agent
Asrock K8NF4G Sata 2 motherboard is really good value for money.

Look out for this board.

Has Geforce 6100 onboard grafix as well as PCIe 16X slot.

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
unvisible said:
*AMD64 processors consume less power compared to Intel

( *www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2275&p=13 )

*They are very cool even at high CPU load.

*Intel offers only 36bit physical vs 40bit+ on AMD. (*Nobody* offers full 64-bit physical addressing just yet. )

* Intel does not provide a pure 64bit long mode, only something that
resembles AMD's compatible mode.

* SYSENTER vs SYSCALL

So far the situation in the market looks as follows.

Intel’s new 64bit CPUs copes better than its AMD rival with streaming data processing and multimedia files encoding. Also, it appears quite efficient for multi-threading tasks, such as 3ds max or Photoshop. The newcomer from AMD, however, proved really fast in scientific tasks and games. If we make some additional allowances, we will be able to state its leadership over the Pentium 4 Extreme Edition even in contemporary 3D games.

So, which is the fastest CPU -- AMD's Athlon 64 or Intel's Pentium 4?
The answer depends on which software you use: there is no clear winner here.

The Athlon 64 has an advantage with mainstream office and Internet applications, and 3D games. Meanwhile, the Pentium 4 can always score with optimised software -- particularly 3D and video rendering. The multitasking tests also show an advantage for Intel's Pentium 4.

The Athlon 64 has a clear advantage in terms of cost. Although AMD's and Intel's fastest chips are comparably priced, system costs are higher for Pentium 4-based PCs with DDR2 memory. The price difference between Athlon 3500+ and Pentium 4 550 systems is even larger, because the AMD chip costs very less than its Intel counterpart.

i dint understand this . why wud they not give 64bit when they advertise for it ?

The other things , i hav to completely agree with u .
no offnese . but guys in the forum are biased or what word cud i use , partial to amd's . i dunno why precisely , most put it as though amd wins in everything .
But here i feel this is the best comparision . i wud love it if u go a bit more in to it and in a little more detail.

BYE

nd4spd

Broken In
unvisible said:
The price difference between Athlon 3500+ and Pentium 4 550 systems is even larger, because the AMD chip costs very less than its Intel counterpart.

I dunno y u compaired P4 550 with Athlon 3500+.............
cause P4 550 does not support 64bit processing, the processors in the series of 600 supports 64bit processing.(don't Believe me check intel site)

and Athlon 3500+ is a 64bit processor.
thats y no comparision exists.

shivaranjan.b

In the zone
InFiDeL said:
And is there anyone 4m chennai who can suggest some good dealers here. ?

Some Good Dealer from Chennai:
1. Delta Pheripherals
2. Supreme Computers
3. Challenger Computers
4. Savera Info Systems

if you go to Ritchie then you will be able to find most of them, as they are very popular there...

Regards...

S

saiaspire

AMD is better if you are a serious gamer, if not then go for a Intel, it is better for video and audio editing apps.

g_goyal2000

Youngling
InFiDeL said:
well the socket 939 seems a bit costly. if i go 4 socket 754 then wat would be my best mobo option. And is there anyone 4m chennai who can suggest some good dealers here. well should i go 4 asus nforce3 or nforce4 ?

Dude, socket 754 is an old socket type.
Also, it supports FSB only upto 800 Mhz.
Also, 754 does not officially support PCI-X16 graphics cards which is the new standard for display cards. AGP is going to be out in 1-2 years.
U may have problems in future if u buy mb based on 754 socket.
Socket 939 is the best cos it supports FSB upto 1000 Mhz, supports PCI-X16 & is also future proof.

Kniwor

Learner
sagargv said:
i dint understand this . why wud they not give 64bit when they advertise for it ?

he is not talking about 64 bit processing but memory adressing, which is different.......

alll porcessors can process 64bit but cannot adress all that memory, i dont think u will anyhow be using all that memory in this world.....

are u actually going to put in more than 4Gb ram in next 2-3 years.... by then they will come up with newer processors...

janitha

Wise Old Owl
InFiDeL said:

I dont think 939 is costlier than 754 at least as of now. And even if there is some slight diff., it is worth going for 939.

V.Prem Kumar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom