installing xp in new computer ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saharika

In the zone
i have a new computer with has just been bought ,i want to install xp in that directly...
is it good...

where can i get good guide with the step by step details to set up xp in new computer...

any typical problem i may face or i need to be careful of....

any site tutorials or steps in it...
thanks for help
saha

Tech&ME

Banned
1. What Operating System your new Computer currently has ?

2. What is the full configuration of your new Computer ?

3. Why did you not get Win XP pre-installed before buying your new Computer ?

Answer the above questions for correct answers

OP
S

Saharika

In the zone
Tech&ME said:
1. What Operating System your new Computer currently has ?
no operating system thats why i am saying directly xp..........

2. What is the full configuration of your new Computer ?
i am very sure that it supports xp its p4 with 128 ram 40 gb hard disk and ointel mother baord...

3. Why did you not get Win XP pre-installed before buying your new Computer ?

is it that difficult and need real computer experts ...then may be if i cannot do that then may be i dont worth sayng i know computer ...
i was just making sure i dont make mistakes...

and next thing if you have typed this 4 lines to give anser it would have been better ...

aking question over question makes things complicated...

Answer the above questions for correct answers

go4saket

There are two procedures to install Win XP in your computer.
Incase if you have a OS already installed, just start your computer and after your OS loads, insert the WIN XP CD. The installation will automatically start.
If there is no OS installed, i.e. your computer is absolutely bare, go to the system BIOS and select CD ROM as your first boot device. After that place the WIN XP CD in the tray and start your computer and select the CD to start your computer. As all CD's with WIN XP are bootable, installation will automatically start. All you have to do is just read carefully whatever is asked to you and follow the instructions. After some time your computer will restart. This time donot select CD to start your computer. Thats it. All you have to do after that is again follow instructions. Trust me, its very simple. TTry it out. Contact me if you have any problem...

godsownman

Padawan
You can visit this website and see how to install , its a complete pictorial website with actual screenshots from the installation.

For Windows XP PRO this is the link ,

*www.windowsreinstall.com/winxppro/installxpwindowsinstall/indexfullpage.htm

If you want it for anyother OS or version of Windows XP ,

*www.windowsreinstall.com/

Hope this helps . Let me know .

OP
S

Saharika

In the zone
go4saket said:
CD to start your computer. Thats it. All you have to do after that is again follow instructions. Trust me, its very simple. TTry it out. Contact me if you have any problem...
Contact me if you have any problem.
these lines sums it all ,mean these days we rarely find people who bother to help other
thanks for all those tips and answers
now i have been fallen to dilemma
The computer i have come to know is 128 RAM,P3 with total intel mother baord with 20 GB of hard drive
Will this configuration support XP.
or
or will things run smoothly if i install XP or i need to go for some lower version ...
i think win2000 will be better but i feel that i will miss XP
What can i do ...
if i add ram i think board needs to be changed as well
so what to do?
any sugesstion or solution
thanks
saha

Netjunkie

In the zone
For instructions on installing Windows XP, See this

*www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

Tough you can run XP on a P3, it will be a bit too heavy on your 128 MB RAM.
Alternatively you can try running it in Classic mode.

Adding more RAM will not require a Motherboard change, check out your motherboard manual & see the maximum amount of RAM it supports.

OP
S

Saharika

In the zone
i have heard of application that gives xp look to windows 2000 which is it
and where can i download it...

go4saket

Well Saharika, Netjunkie is quite right. Running Win XP on just 128 MB would really slow down your computer, although you can ofcourse go for it. I would recommend you to have atleast 256 MB RAM to have a smooth operation.

Ofcourse you can increase your RAM without changing your motherboard. Please check your motherboard details and see how many RAM slots do you have in your motherboard. Incase if you have any empty slot, just dont worry. All you need to do is but another 128 MB RAM stick and insert it there. But if you dont have any slots empty, you will have to buy a 256 MB RAM stick, there by removing the old one.

I dont understand one thing. If you have low memory resource, why dont you try Win 98SE. I think its quite fast and reliable. ofcourse Win 2000 is good and uses less resource than Win XP.

navjotjsingh

Wise Old Owl
You bought such an old computer in this time? Is it a second hand. If not then first get hold of the person who sold you this old PC.

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
Saharika said:
The computer i have come to know is 128 RAM,P3 with total intel mother baord with 20 GB of hard drive
That was precisely my config when I first installed Xp on my system .. It wont be very slow, but increasing RAM to say 256 or more will be good ..

Btw .. I remember you were running W2k earlier .. XP will run happily on a system on which W2k runs fine ..

And btw .. nLite doesnt give XP look to W2k .. its used to make customized unattended install cds .. Dont use it .. not worthy ..
You can use some transformation packs, but using XP is much better ..

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
nLite does!
I hv done it.
There is an option for Classic Setup Look.
If u select that option, ur windows XP setup will be turned into classic look same as windows 2000.

I hv changed my windows XP look to the same.

OP
S

Saharika

In the zone
i have taken mr batman words and not installed that program...for now
ya may bei need to replace that ram ...it isintel mother board with celeron p3 processor
so may be i need to go to mother board manual
i have many empty slots in the mother baord ...as grahic sound and other cards are inbulit...
not many devices attached...
so may be i can insert another 128 mb in to a slot...
an yway may be i need see manual
thanks for all help

Tech&ME

Banned
go4saket said:
Incase if you have a OS already installed, just start your computer and after your OS loads, insert the WIN XP CD. The installation will automatically start.
If there is no OS installed, i.e. your computer is absolutely bare, go to the system BIOS and select CD ROM as your first boot device. After that place the WIN XP CD in the tray and start your computer and select the CD to start your computer. As all CD's with WIN XP are bootable, installation will automatically start. All you have to do is just read carefully whatever is asked to you and follow the instructions. After some time your computer will restart. This time donot select CD to start your computer. Thats it. All you have to do after that is again follow instructions. Trust me, its very simple. TTry it out. Contact me if you have any problem...

It is not so simple, How do you determine which OS is already installed. U can only install XP on a computer which has lower version of Windows already installed on it. For example : windows 98, Win XP Home SP1 (if you are insatlling XP Pro SP2) , Win XP SP1 (if installing Win XP SP2) and the like.

Further, @Saharika, where did you buy this old config computer, was it a second hand comp or a new one. ?

If it is a new comp why don't you ask your vendor to install XP for you on this comp ? It will make things simple for you.

OP
S

Saharika

In the zone
Tech&ME said:
It is not so simple, How do you determine which OS is already installed. U can only install XP on a computer which has lower version of Windows already installed on it. For example : windows 98, Win XP Home SP1 (if you are insatlling XP Pro SP2) , Win XP SP1 (if installing Win XP SP2) and the like.
excatly i have heard it also .You cannot install xp directly or is not easy ...so i am making sure about same thing but every expert say it is easy and we can do .....

any way i have installed win 2000 pro as far i know not much diff in it...

Tech&ME said:
Further, @Saharika, where did you buy this old config computer, was it a second hand comp or a new one. ?

If it is a new comp why don't you ask your vendor to install XP for you on this comp ? It will make things simple for you.
no it is first hand comp but we (my brother and i ) have another p4 computer ...i just bought it to act a client in the network and watch tv and movies....
i have just known that mother board is able take two ram(accor ....vendor) so i have just ordered another 128 ram so that will make 256 and may be i can run bigger application...

by the way will 2 ,128 MB RAM give same performance that 256RAM gives ...
what are my advantages and disadvantages...?

the first advantage was cost taking 2 ram was cheaper(but negligible...so if performace degrades...then i will change...)

an yway thanks for help.............
saha

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
The performance of two 128 MB modules is equal to performance of one 256 Mb module .. Only tradoff is that if you want to upgrade later, you will need another free slot to insert new memory module .. Say if you have two memory slots and you insert 2 X 128 Mb modules in it and then later if you want to upgrade to say 512 Mb, these 128 Mb module would also need to be replaced (or atleast one of them) .. So if you can , get a single module of 256 Mb incase you decide to upgrade in future, you will still have a memory slot free ..

Also .. Installing Win XP on a system is not such difficult process. If you already have an operating system on it, you can format it from the setup itself .. The links given in godsownman and Netjunkie 's posts are very helpful .. Just go through them ..

Tech&ME

Banned
it_waaznt_me said:
The performance of two 128 MB modules is equal to performance of one 256 Mb module .. Only tradoff is that if you want to upgrade later, you will need another free slot to insert new memory module .. Say if you have two memory slots and you insert 2 X 128 Mb modules in it and then later if you want to upgrade to say 512 Mb, these 128 Mb module would also need to be replaced (or atleast one of them) .. So if you can , get a single module of 256 Mb incase you decide to upgrade in future, you will still have a memory slot free ..

Also .. Installing Win XP on a system is not such difficult process. If you already have an operating system on it, you can format it from the setup itself .. The links given in godsownman and Netjunkie 's posts are very helpful .. Just go through them ..

I agree with it_waaznt_me, but if you are very new to installing windows ask your VENDOR to do it in front of you, in this way you will understand the process and can do it next time all by your self.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom