Installing Ram Modules

Status
Not open for further replies.

n.regmi

Broken In
i have 512 mb ddr 400Mhz in my P4 2.66 Ghz, 915Gav mobo.
i want to upgrade to 2Gb of ram. so please tell me how do i buy and install new ram modules. should i go for 4*512 ram or 2*512+1*1Gb ram or 2*1gb ram
ty

Rollercoaster

-The BlacKCoaT Operative-
if this is ur mobo *www.intel.com/products/motherboard/d915gav/index.htm
Does ur mother board has anything like dual channel then u should install 4x512Mb modules mor max performace or 2x1Gb modules into corrosponding slots.
(i dont know wether intel even has dual channel stuff.. i am an AMD fan and i know only amd so....)
if there is no dual channle man just buy the cheapest combination u can find...it is all same.

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
Get 2X 1 GB sticks......coz 4X512 mb sticks will not allow u to upgrade ur memory as all slots will be full...

ashfame

Padawan
i think go for a one more 512 & a 1gb ram stick.
fire the new 512mb with the existing one in dual channel (your mobo supports dual channel) & 1gb alone so that u even hav 1 slot empty for future upgradation.

And make sure that u touch ur hands to a metal before u touch ram or static charge will ruin ur ram.
Edit:
visit this link for a pic:
*www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,18024,pg,5,00.asp

Last edited:

janitha

Wise Old Owl
ashfame said:
i think go for a one more 512 & a 1gb ram stick.
fire the new 512mb with the existing one in dual channel (your mobo supports dual channel) & 1gb alone so that u even hav 1 slot empty for future upgradation.

And make sure that u touch ur hands to a metal before u touch ram or static charge will ruin ur ram.
Edit:
visit this link for a pic:
*www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,18024,pg,5,00.asp

You are correct about the static charge and we do normally do like that but I have always seen even very experienced dealers handle them very casually even in bulk.

Reg the question, I think the Mobo supports dual channel and for 2 GB, it will be best to install 2X1GB in dual channel.

ashfame

Padawan
but he already has a 512mb stick so to make it to 2gb its better it go the way i told so that no future upgradation problem is faced by him

janitha

Wise Old Owl
ashfame said:
but he already has a 512mb stick so to make it to 2gb its better it go the way i told so that no future upgradation problem is faced by him
He may better try to exchange the ram with the dealer when buying the new 2X1GB. This is what I am going to do. (I have 2X512). This way it is easier to ensure that the rams are identical. Also I doubt whether he can run 2 rams in dual channel and one in single channel.

Or else he can try to sell the 512 MB before buying the new ones.

Furhter, earlier there used to be a problem that if you fill more than 2 slots with 400 MHz ram they will run @ 333 MHz. (In case of Nforce 4) About Intel, I dont know, and whether such problem is there with current Mobos.

OP
N

n.regmi

Broken In
thanx all for replying. i sold my 512 mb ram and bought two 1 GB modules as janitha suggested. what is dual channel and how do i install in dual channel.
ty

janitha

Wise Old Owl
n.regmi said:
thanx all for replying. i sold my 512 mb ram and bought two 1 GB modules as janitha suggested. what is dual channel and how do i install in dual channel.
ty

Insert them into first and third slots which have the same colour. Second and fourth should also work but I feel first and third will be better. But before doing so, refer the Mobo manual because the positions may vary with diff models.

After doing so, switch on the system and in the boot screen see whether they are shown as dual channel. If necessary, use the pause button. Or else, you can use small SW like CPU-Z for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom