installing new applications in kubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramakrishnan

The Researcher
Now that I got the kubuntu free cd, I installed it. But many applications are available for install, but when I try to install, it is asking for internet connection. The thing is that I don't have Internet connection. I want to download the applications and later install it. I want to know the the following things

1. From where I will get the applications listed by Kubuntu?
2. After geting the application downloaded, how to install?.

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
Once you are connected to the Net. Use the 'Synaptic Package Manager' to & mark
the applications you want to install after selecting the application (Mark for installation) from the list.
Now from the menu Edit->"Apply Marked Changes'. This will automatically download
the package, its dependencies & install them.

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
@JGuru, that wouldnt help.. he wants to download on another comp and install on some other computer which is offline.

Such a thing is pretty much tedious as of now.. You might want for some 2/3 months for the Ubuntu Offline Update Tool < *wiki.ubuntu.com/OfflineUpdateSpec > to get completed by SoC sponsored ubuntu developer.

vinayasurya

Journeyman
*packages.ubuntu.com has a list of packages for ubuntu. Make sure download all dependencies which is a tedious task.

OP
R

Ramakrishnan

The Researcher
@vinayasurya
I wanted packages for Kubuntu. You have suggested packages for ubuntu. The link for Ubuntu is ok but give me one for Kubuntu.

I have since found the link. Here it is *kubuntu.org/packages/

Last edited:

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
@Ramakrishnan, *kubuntu.org/packages/ is the place where bleeding edge packages are kept.

*archive.ubuntu.com or *packages.ubuntu.com will let you search for .deb files for any Ubuntu variant, including ubuntu/xubuntu/kubuntu/edubuntu.

OP
R

Ramakrishnan

The Researcher
What is the meaning of "bleeding edge packages"? I downloaded the package, but the extension is deb. Now how to install this in my computer running Kubuntu? Please help.

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
Better use "Adept Package manager' . To open it press Alt + F2 . This opens
the 'Run command' Type 'adept' (Click on 'Run' button).
Now Adept PM will be loaded.
From the menu Adept->Fetch Updates (This updates your package source list)
Until the download is complete , wait (takes a few mins)
Now select any package you want to install , right click->'Request Install'
Select the packages this way. After you are finished with the selection.
Go to the menu Adept-> 'Apply Changes'.
That's all. The packages you have selected will be downloaded first and
installed automatically.

To install a package with the extension '.deb' open a Terminal Window (konsole)
Go to folder (using cd /home/ramakrish/Docs/software) (ie., change directory like in Windows
Now type:
$ dpkg -i <filename>.deb
That's all the package will be installed!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom