Installing Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

shwetanshu

Cyborg Agent
Now since dis month's DVD contains MANDRAKE 10.1, i m plznning to install it. Now i know absolutely nothing about LINUX and i searched the forum b4 posting dis, but cudn't find a suitable answer. so here i have posted this.

:arrow: i want to know wich is better MANDRAKE or FC3??
:arrow: How to install LINUX, full procedure
:arrow: How to configure it??? Completely.
:arrow: i have 6 parttions : C-->32 Gb, D--> 5 GB, E--> 50 GB, F--> 25GB, G-->15 GB, H--> 60 GB.

Thanx in advance

H

h4ck3r

Leave Mandrake and Fedora .. Switch to knoppix . You need not config fstab. It has more drivers than winxp.

And it is also good looking . But some small bugs are there.

You consider knoppix also.

tuxfan

Technomancer
It is better to install Debian instead of Knoppix. Knoppix is a limited version based on Debian.

But for a newcomer, I would recommend PCQ Linux 2005 based on Fedora Core 3. It is coming in March free with their issue.

They do a lot of customisation to the distro before they distribute it. All the customisation is with the Indian users in mind. They include lots of additional software that we may otherwise have to download.

Usually, FC is a bloat on the system (that is what I have heard), but PCQ's work reduces the system burdon.

But which Linux distro is a never ending argument. Someone will give you pros of SuSE, someone Mandrake. Its you who have to decide. I went with PCQ Linux for 2 reasons:
1. Support is available at PCQ forums
2. It is based on Fedora Core. There are max number of books available for Fedora. So self help is that much easier :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom