installing linux problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

varunbhide

Broken In
the suse 9.1 is supposed to be 5 cds, right? but the aug 2004 dvd contained only 1 cd image. is that installation complete? what is a live cd? how do i use it? what exactly are emulators and where do i get them from? can i use msn msg on linux? do i need to install NAV 2004 on linux?

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
well firstly

1) the distro included in the August cd was Suse personal and not the ful prof. one

2) a live cd allows you to run and work on linux without installing itself onto the hard drive. As the name goes, it runs from the Cd

3) Emulators are generally software which emulate certain hardware so that you can run stuff running on that particular hardware, on ur PC

4) You can use aMSN, Gaim or Kopete messengers on any linux distros in order to use MSN

5) No, you don't need to install any a/v on linux. Till date there is no virus detected for any distro of linux. There are "worms" but these worms can't be classified as "viri". Also NAV won't run on linux. It works only under Windows

OP
varunbhide

varunbhide

Broken In
so, the edition which was supplied was only starters of what you actually get? then which fullly equiped linux has digit provided which i can install and is worth installing it?

busyanuj

In the zone
if you're new to linux... which you seem to be,
grab a copy of March 2005 di9it dvd and burn the Knoppix iso onto a cd-rom and try it.
(remember it is a Live distro, which means it will run from your cd-rom and won't need to be installed on your hard-drive)
if you are familiar with linux desktop and working, then dig out the January 2005 di9it dvd and burn the Fedora Core 3 iso images onto cd-roms and install it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom