Installing linux on hidden partitioned hdd with XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an IBM machine with 80GB capacity. It has an 3GB hidden partition that containing XP home and files to recover the files and os in situation of currption. Now i want to install linux also but without affecting the functioning current os and this partition. IBM does'nt gives me recovery cd, everything is in hidden partition.

Is it possible to copy the data of this partition on DVD or cd.
Thanks!

Netjunkie

In the zone
The 3GB partition would be too small for installing Linux. If you have any other partitions other than your OS drive which is atleast 5 or 6 GB then go ahead & install it on that drive else partition your OS drive with Partition Magic. You will not lose any data.

BTW,posted in the wrong section.
Reporting...

kishore

Right off the assembly line
Hey pradeep

u can edit ur partitions while installing linux using "diskdruid" i think its the best,first move ur data that resides on the last partition on windows
make it empty.Now start installin linux frm a boot cd, while installation
choose custom disk partitioning,delete ur last vfat or fat32 partition and create a new partition and assign whatever space required to install linux
ie.. if 4 gb is assigned make a 3.5gb part.. for ext2/3 part... ie linux native and remaining 500 mb for linux swap assign "/" as the mount point without quotes for linux native and go ahead....with ur installation
u can enable the remaining space in windows by right clicking in mycomputer icon---manage---disk management.

If u hav queries reg installation of linux write bak...bye Good luck 8)

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
yes you can copy the recovery data from the partition and burn it onto a cd. but i doubt if it'll solve ur purpose. i'm not sure whether that burnt cd will work as the recovery cd.

btw, you can well install linux on the 3gb partition. install only wotever you need. i run fedora core 4 on a 2.5gb partition!

OP
P

Pradeep Kashyap

Broken In
First of all thanx infra, kishore and netjunkie for your valuable replies. But here is some misunderstanding. That is my XP and other utilitie softwares(antivirus, sound driver or motherboard drivers) are installed on 3GB hidden partition. And in my computer there is only one disk C:. The function is, when os or system goes down just press F11 after seeing IBM logo in booting sequence, the all data, os, drivers will automatically b,com recovered. And when i asked IBM Help desk for this problem they told me the linux will remove when u use this rescue n recovery function. And now i want to install linux without effecting this functionality(or may be on the cost on linux, i can handle that), but in this situation i'd need to create a backup copy of this 3GB partition on a DVD/CD. I can install linux easily but on the cost of ragistered XP and antivirus...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom